Top 10 Most Famous Sports Teams

[quote]bconngemini wrote:
stevo_ wrote:
bconngemini wrote:
artw wrote:
Everybody knows who the Yankees and the Lakers are because everyone knows who Kobe and Jeter are. I’ve had roommates from England, France, China, Greece, and Ecuador and they ALL knew exactly who the Yankees and Lakers are, along with the Cowboys and the Celtics. Soccer is a big sport for sure, but baseball is HUGE in China, Japan, and most of Southeast Asia, and basketball isn’t that far behind. According to my roommates from Europe, they all watch the Superbowl and turn it into a big event like here, and it comes on at like 1am over there. Football may not be huge there, but it is arguably bigger in Europe than soccer is here.

I can tell you that everyone watches the Super Bowl worldwide, there are 1 billion viewers worldwide according to the NFL and only 100 million in the US. That means there are 900 million people in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America watching the Super Bowl.

In fact the Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event on the planet, and teams such as Cowboys are known by 90% of Europeans I would bet. Nobody in the US watches soccer, but in Europe and worldwide NFL is quite popular, probably 3rd behind soccer and basketball.

its called a “captive audience” and it refers to how many people its being broadcast to not how many people watch it.

The superbowl plays every year in NZ/ Australia on live TV making a captive audience of around 25 million.

Now

On Monday morning at 11am when it plays live in two countries that couldnt give a fuck about it…how many do you think watch it?

For your sake I hope you a troll as oppose to a fuckin idiot

What?

The NFL stated last year that a BILLION people watch the Super Bowl and this was repeated on NBC I heard it. I know that 25 million people in Australia watched the Super Bowl, add in another 200 million in China, 250 million in Europe and the remainder comes probably from India and South America. That’s why the Cowboys, Steelers…etc are so universally known worldwide.

Now Lakers and Yankees are known and watched because Kobe Bryant and Derek Jeter are top 5 most famous athletes in the world. Kobe is the most famous athelte in China they kept showing how everyone went crazy over him in Bejing during the Olympics.[/quote]

25 million people watched it in Australa? You know our record sport viewership of a sports game is only around 4 million? No you don’t know, you show massive ignorance. Australian’s are interested in the Super Bowl, just not many of us and mainly 14-25 year olds from my experience. Oh and American expats…

[quote]artw wrote:
Everybody knows who the Yankees and the Lakers are because everyone knows who Kobe and Jeter are. I’ve had roommates from England, France, China, Greece, and Ecuador and they ALL knew exactly who the Yankees and Lakers are, along with the Cowboys and the Celtics. Soccer is a big sport for sure, but baseball is HUGE in China, Japan, and most of Southeast Asia, and basketball isn’t that far behind.

According to my roommates from Europe, they all watch the Superbowl and turn it into a big event like here, and it comes on at like 1am over there. Football may not be huge there, but it is arguably bigger in Europe than soccer is here.[/quote]

Football almost got big back in the 80s when they showed it on Channel 4 late at night. Several teams started up. Most of them have now gone bust. I was hopeful that the popularity would rise again a couple of years back when they had the NFL match at Wembley, it sold out really quickly due to a really dedicated fanbase problem is that it is a relatively small dedicated fanbase.

I would guess that Basketball is big within certain demographics, they would definitely know the Lakers and more. I used to watch the Basketball when Hakeem Olajuwon was playing, along with players like Pippen, Grant and Rodman. Bit out of touch these days.

From wikipedia admitedly however no mention of american sports here…

There are no exact figures available for global television events. However, a report by IPG media agency Initiative Worldwide stated that the 2006 FIFA World Cup was the most-watched sporting event of that year with an average 95 Million viewers per match.[33]

Such statistics have, however, proved controversial, failing to stand up to scrutiny,[34] and audience figures cited in billions are practically unverifiable.

As noted above, China Central Television regularly achieves audiences in the hundreds of millions for its Spring Festival Gala and Xinwen Lianbo.

The most popular regular-broadcast sports event and TV program is the English Premier League. It is broadcast to 600 million households in 202 countries and reportedly watched by more than 1.2 billion people per week.[35] Even this figure may be an underestimate as the number of people watching are said to watch on pirated set top boxes and illegal Internet streams.[36]

A satellite broadcast for an Elvis Presley show live from Hawaii, titled “Aloha from Hawaii” on January 14, 1973 is reported to have reached over 1 billion viewers globally.[37][38]. Some breakdowns of the figures suggest 40% of the Japanese television audience[39], and 91.8% of the television audience in the Philippines[40], with an estimated 51% of the American television audience[39] when it aired later in America on April 4, 1973.[39][41]

The funeral of Princess Diana was watched by an estimated 2.5 billion people.[42]

The funeral of Pope John Paul II was watched by over 2 billion people worldwide.

On June 12, 2009, it was estimated that House was the most popular show in the world with a potential of 1.6 billion viewers. [43]

On July 7, 2009, following the death of Michael Jackson it is estimated his funeral was seen by more than 1 billion people worldwide.[44]

let’s make the T-Nation most popular sports team. It would be more accurate
Montreal Canadiens should be in there

1.Manchester United
2.Manchester United
3.Manchester United
4.Manchester United
5.Manchester United
6.Manchester United
7.Manchester United
8.Manchester United

Manchester United>liverpool, chelsea, arsenal

:stuck_out_tongue:

and given that there are only about 2 billion tv sets in the world it is unlikely that half of them are tuned to the same thing at the same time unless we get visitors from mars.

[quote]stevo_ wrote:
bconngemini wrote:
stevo_ wrote:
bconngemini wrote:
artw wrote:
Everybody knows who the Yankees and the Lakers are because everyone knows who Kobe and Jeter are. I’ve had roommates from England, France, China, Greece, and Ecuador and they ALL knew exactly who the Yankees and Lakers are, along with the Cowboys and the Celtics. Soccer is a big sport for sure, but baseball is HUGE in China, Japan, and most of Southeast Asia, and basketball isn’t that far behind. According to my roommates from Europe, they all watch the Superbowl and turn it into a big event like here, and it comes on at like 1am over there. Football may not be huge there, but it is arguably bigger in Europe than soccer is here.

I can tell you that everyone watches the Super Bowl worldwide, there are 1 billion viewers worldwide according to the NFL and only 100 million in the US. That means there are 900 million people in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America watching the Super Bowl.

In fact the Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event on the planet, and teams such as Cowboys are known by 90% of Europeans I would bet. Nobody in the US watches soccer, but in Europe and worldwide NFL is quite popular, probably 3rd behind soccer and basketball.

its called a “captive audience” and it refers to how many people its being broadcast to not how many people watch it.

The superbowl plays every year in NZ/ Australia on live TV making a captive audience of around 25 million.

Now

On Monday morning at 11am when it plays live in two countries that couldnt give a fuck about it…how many do you think watch it?

For your sake I hope you a troll as oppose to a fuckin idiot

What?

The NFL stated last year that a BILLION people watch the Super Bowl and this was repeated on NBC I heard it. I know that 25 million people in Australia watched the Super Bowl, add in another 200 million in China, 250 million in Europe and the remainder comes probably from India and South America. That’s why the Cowboys, Steelers…etc are so universally known worldwide.

Now Lakers and Yankees are known and watched because Kobe Bryant and Derek Jeter are top 5 most famous athletes in the world. Kobe is the most famous athelte in China they kept showing how everyone went crazy over him in Bejing during the Olympics.

25 million people watched it in Australia??? thats 4 million more people than live in the entire country.

Maybe they had a lot of Americans there on holiday that day

Get an education and visit some other parts of the world one day chief, its a rewarding experience.[/quote]

LOL

That was some funny stuff.I had a double take when he said 25 million watched in Aus.I thought fuck when did our population grow to 25 million and EVERYBODY watched it.Half the people in this country would think a superbowl would be some form of cooking bowl.

[quote]artw wrote:
Soccer is a big sport for sure, but baseball is HUGE in China, Japan, and most of Southeast Asia, and basketball isn’t that far behind.
[/quote]

Baseball is not huge in Southeast Asia. Basketball isn’t popular either.