Top 10 Most Famous Sports Teams

I just read an article this morning where a guy started a Steeler bar a few blocks from the Vatigan.Best fans in the world imo as far as supporting their team all over the world.A friend of mine went to cuba last winter and he wasan’t there ten minutes and he saw a Steeler hat.

I’m a die hard Steeler fan myself and been one since I was ten…gotta start a 2009 season football thread soon.Training camp starts on July 31st.

You know, apparently Formula one racing is the most popular sport in the world. As far as teams for that, no idea.

I saw this on a documentary so who knows.

No mention of All Blacks or Ohio State?

[quote]DON D1ESEL wrote:
No mention of All Blacks or Ohio State?[/quote]

All Blacks were mentioned above, nobody has mentioned The Ohio State University yet though.

But Fuck those guys anyway… :slight_smile:

[quote]Rattler wrote:
Probably the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Montreal Canadiens should be on there. There’s enough hockey fans worldwide that everybody who’se heard of the sport knows about them.[/quote]

A poll was done a few years back (worldwide) asking a similar question and the Montreal Canadiens made that Top 10 list. I would also put the Toronto Maple Leafs in that list as they are really #1 and #2 in the hockey world (and yes that includes a pretty expansive population of fans).

NFL football is really only popular in North America. Whereas soccer franchises are huge around the globe. Cricket and Rugby are also pretty big in some areas. The All Blacks in New Zealand are awfully famous. I have never played, nor have seen a rugby match, but I know of the All Blacks.

There is also some Japanese baseball team that is a pretty big deal over in Asia.

[quote]Rattler wrote:
Probably the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Montreal Canadiens should be on there. There’s enough hockey fans worldwide that everybody who’se heard of the sport knows about them.[/quote]

A poll was done a few years back (worldwide) asking a similar question and the Montreal Canadiens made that Top 10 list. I would also put the Toronto Maple Leafs in that list as they are really #1 and #2 in the hockey world (and yes that includes a pretty expansive population of fans).

NFL football is really only popular in North America. Whereas soccer franchises are huge around the globe. Cricket and Rugby are also pretty big in some areas. The All Blacks in New Zealand are awfully famous. I have never played, nor have seen a rugby match, but I know of the All Blacks.

There is also some Japanese baseball team that is a pretty big deal over in Asia.

Ohio State? Are you for real?

The only American team that I would say without a doubt would make the list would be the Yankees. I could see the Giants, Cowboys, and Bulls being up there, too, but not necessarily Top 10.

[quote]engerland66 wrote:

The only American team that I would say without a doubt would make the list would be the Yankees. I could see the Giants, Cowboys, and Bulls being up there, too, but not necessarily Top 10.

[/quote]

You cannot leave the Yankees off that list.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
I just read an article this morning where a guy started a Steeler bar a few blocks from the Vatigan.Best fans in the world imo as far as supporting their team all over the world.A friend of mine went to cuba last winter and he wasan’t there ten minutes and he saw a Steeler hat.

I’m a die hard Steeler fan myself and been one since I was ten…gotta start a 2009 season football thread soon.Training camp starts on July 31st.

[/quote]

I agree 100%. I may be a bit biased because I’ve been a Steeler fan since birth; but every city I have ever been to has a Steeler bar.

Yankees suck.

1 yankees
2 cowboys
3 lakers
4 real madrid
5 toronto maple leafs
6 manchester united
7 nz all blacks
8 bulls
9 raiders
10 red sox

Here’s the top ten, hands down.

1.Yankees
2.Manchester United
3.Arsenal
4.Cowboys
5.Lakers
6.Red Sox
7.Celtics
8.Packers
9.AC Milan
10.Canadiens

No way Yankees are at #1 and I would be really surprised if Lakers, Celtic, Packers, or Canadiens were even close to the top ten.

People outside the US don’t follow US sport to any great degree.

How many British Rugby League teams can you name? Well that is probably about a similar number to the number of hockey or Baseball teams most people in the rest of the world could name.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
engerland66 wrote:

You cannot leave the Yankees off that list.[/quote]

I’m not. They are on there. Maybe the only American team.

Everybody knows who the Yankees and the Lakers are because everyone knows who Kobe and Jeter are. I’ve had roommates from England, France, China, Greece, and Ecuador and they ALL knew exactly who the Yankees and Lakers are, along with the Cowboys and the Celtics. Soccer is a big sport for sure, but baseball is HUGE in China, Japan, and most of Southeast Asia, and basketball isn’t that far behind.

According to my roommates from Europe, they all watch the Superbowl and turn it into a big event like here, and it comes on at like 1am over there. Football may not be huge there, but it is arguably bigger in Europe than soccer is here.

[quote]bconngemini wrote:
Lets make a definitive list of the top 10 most famous sports teams in the world.

I’ll start it off:

1. NY Yankees
  2. Cowboys
  3. Lakers
  4. 49ers
  5. Redskins
  6. Bulls
  7. Red Sox
  8. Knicks
  9. Giants
  10. Brazil soccer team[/quote]

You’re a fuckin idiot.

[quote]artw wrote:
Everybody knows who the Yankees and the Lakers are because everyone knows who Kobe and Jeter are. I’ve had roommates from England, France, China, Greece, and Ecuador and they ALL knew exactly who the Yankees and Lakers are, along with the Cowboys and the Celtics. Soccer is a big sport for sure, but baseball is HUGE in China, Japan, and most of Southeast Asia, and basketball isn’t that far behind. According to my roommates from Europe, they all watch the Superbowl and turn it into a big event like here, and it comes on at like 1am over there. Football may not be huge there, but it is arguably bigger in Europe than soccer is here.[/quote]

I can tell you that everyone watches the Super Bowl worldwide, there are 1 billion viewers worldwide according to the NFL and only 100 million in the US. That means there are 900 million people in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America watching the Super Bowl.

In fact the Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event on the planet, and teams such as Cowboys are known by 90% of Europeans I would bet. Nobody in the US watches soccer, but in Europe and worldwide NFL is quite popular, probably 3rd behind soccer and basketball.

artw wrote:
Everybody knows who the Yankees and the Lakers are because everyone knows who Kobe and Jeter are. I’ve had roommates from England, France, China, Greece, and Ecuador and they ALL knew exactly who the Yankees and Lakers are, along with the Cowboys and the Celtics. Soccer is a big sport for sure, but baseball is HUGE in China, Japan, and most of Southeast Asia, and basketball isn’t that far behind. According to my roommates from Europe, they all watch the Superbowl and turn it into a big event like here, and it comes on at like 1am over there. Football may not be huge there, but it is arguably bigger in Europe than soccer is here.

I can tell you that everyone watches the Super Bowl worldwide, there are 1 billion viewers worldwide according to the NFL and only 100 million in the US. That means there are 900 million people in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America watching the Super Bowl.

In fact the Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event on the planet, and teams such as Cowboys are known by 90% of Europeans I would bet. Nobody in the US watches soccer, but in Europe and worldwide NFL is quite popular, probably 3rd behind soccer and basketball.[/quote]

its called a “captive audience” and it refers to how many people its being broadcast to not how many people watch it.

The superbowl plays every year in NZ/ Australia on live TV making a captive audience of around 25 million.

Now

On Monday morning at 11am when it plays live in two countries that couldnt give a fuck about it…how many do you think watch it?

For your sake I hope you a troll as oppose to a fuckin idiot

[quote]stevo_ wrote:
bconngemini wrote:
artw wrote:
Everybody knows who the Yankees and the Lakers are because everyone knows who Kobe and Jeter are. I’ve had roommates from England, France, China, Greece, and Ecuador and they ALL knew exactly who the Yankees and Lakers are, along with the Cowboys and the Celtics. Soccer is a big sport for sure, but baseball is HUGE in China, Japan, and most of Southeast Asia, and basketball isn’t that far behind. According to my roommates from Europe, they all watch the Superbowl and turn it into a big event like here, and it comes on at like 1am over there. Football may not be huge there, but it is arguably bigger in Europe than soccer is here.

In fact the Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event on the planet, and teams such as Cowboys are known by 90% of Europeans I would bet. Nobody in the US watches soccer, but in Europe and worldwide NFL is quite popular, probably 3rd behind soccer and basketball.

its called a “captive audience” and it refers to how many people its being broadcast to not how many people watch it.

The superbowl plays every year in NZ/ Australia on live TV making a captive audience of around 25 million.

Now

On Monday morning at 11am when it plays live in two countries that couldnt give a fuck about it…how many do you think watch it?

For your sake I hope you a troll as oppose to a fuckin idiot[/quote]

What?

The NFL stated last year that a BILLION people watch the Super Bowl and this was repeated on NBC I heard it. I know that 25 million people in Australia watched the Super Bowl, add in another 200 million in China, 250 million in Europe and the remainder comes probably from India and South America. That’s why the Cowboys, Steelers…etc are so universally known worldwide.

Now Lakers and Yankees are known and watched because Kobe Bryant and Derek Jeter are top 5 most famous athletes in the world. Kobe is the most famous athelte in China they kept showing how everyone went crazy over him in Bejing during the Olympics.

stevo_ wrote:
bconngemini wrote:
artw wrote:

Now

For your sake I hope you a troll as oppose to a fuckin idiot

What?

The NFL stated last year that a BILLION people watch the Super Bowl and this was repeated on NBC I heard it. I know that 25 million people in Australia watched the Super Bowl, add in another 200 million in China, 250 million in Europe and the remainder comes probably from India and South America. That’s why the Cowboys, Steelers…etc are so universally known worldwide.

Now Lakers and Yankees are known and watched because Kobe Bryant and Derek Jeter are top 5 most famous athletes in the world. Kobe is the most famous athelte in China they kept showing how everyone went crazy over him in Bejing during the Olympics.[/quote]

25 million people watched it in Australia??? thats 4 million more people than live in the entire country.

Maybe they had a lot of Americans there on holiday that day

Get an education and visit some other parts of the world one day chief, its a rewarding experience.