Top 10: Gym Etiquette Rules

[quote]eawhite wrote:
Don’t know if this was mentioned: Don’t talk to me in the middle of my set.

And as for the underarmour. I’m a SFB (still fat bastard) and I wear the underarmour because I sweat like crazy and UA (the loosegear line of course) works the best for me. However, I don’t want to gross out any T-Vixens that may be at the gym so I wear a regular t-shirt over the UA. [/quote]

Affirmative. My original started out like this:

1. do NOT talk to me while I am lifting
  2. do NOT talk to me while I am resting
    also had …
    6a) squat racks are for squatting
    6b) curls are not squats

(the loose gear UA is not the issue - you’re cool man)

Good stuff team. Keep it coming. I’ll gather all of your input and revise my list. (looks like it may end up as more than 10)

BFG

[quote]eawhite wrote:
Don’t know if this was mentioned: Don’t talk to me in the middle of my set.

And as for the underarmour. I’m a SFB (still fat bastard) and I wear the underarmour because I sweat like crazy and UA (the loosegear line of course) works the best for me. However, I don’t want to gross out any T-Vixens that may be at the gym so I wear a regular t-shirt over the UA. [/quote]

affirmative. you are cool with the loose fit UA - that is not the issue here.

[revised 2004-Dec-07]

1. Do NOT talk to me while I am lifting.
  2. Do NOT talk to me while I am resting.
  3. NO cell phones. STFU.
    4a) Squat racks are for squatting
    4b) Curls are not squats
  4. Towel placed on bar = occupied
  5. Deodorant: YES. Cologne/Perfume: NO.
  6. UnderArmour and Spandex may not be for you
  7. Wipe off your stanky sweat
  8. 30 min > 20 min: get OFF
  9. Finished? Rack your weights

BFG

YC, you got that right.

1. UnderArmor is NOT for every body

That works too with those fatties that like to show it off by mowing their lawns in near nothing. How much skin you show should be inversely proportional to the amount of body fat you have. More fat means I dont wanna see it.

New #1 idea: Piss Off

“If I want your opinion, I’ll give it to you.”

“Keep staring, I might do a trick.” I saw this on a t-shirt at the mall. I think it would be a great one for those scrawny little bastards that try to stare you down when you dare use a power rack for squatting, thus ruining their concentration curl station. LOL

God I love training at home. Every time I read a thread or article like this it reminds how much I DON’T miss training in a commercial gym.

BFG

Finish it off with these:

1. I’m the man
  2. If you got a problem with this shirt, read 1-11 again and suck on my water bottle.

(Or something like that)

[quote]thrasher wrote:
Towel on squat rack = occupied.[/quote]

I am not a fan of this rule.

Half the people in commercial gyms cannot even strip weight when they are finished. We are to assume that they can remember to pick up their towel?

I can tell you right now that if I walk up to the squat rack in an ugly mood thinking about the sets ahead of me and some weenie is hanging a towel on the bar as some kind of signal that it is occupied while he spends five minutes b/t sets spanking his monkey on the other side of the gym, it’s coming off and he is going to receive a very cold reception when he comes up to inform us, “I was using that.”

If you are going to superset, fine. However, don’t expect someone to sit there and wait 5 minutes for you to return while you are off being a slapnuts, because your towel is hanging there.

[quote]eawhite wrote:
No offense. UA is a great clothing line for sports wear. Awesome. But the shiny second skin looking kind that shows every hair follicle on your skin is not for everyone to wear without proper layers over the top. The loose fit stuff could probably work for everyone (within reason.
I’m not exactly a tub of goo myself, but i don’t think I’d venture out into daylight in it.

Also:
Women in full makeup and jewelry are NOT to wander into the free weight area. If you see one of these doe-eyed innocents meandering amidst the dumbbells, please be so kind as to guide them back to Pilates class and out of harms way.

[quote]steve.rt wrote:
The bench press is not for tricep kick backs[/quote]

Actually, I have to plead guilty to this one, but only because some douchebag decided to take up 2 or 3 flat benches by the dumbbells to “superset it”. I had no choice- I’m so sorry. I feel dirty.

If you can read or talk on the phone you’re not doing your cardio right.

1. I squat, therefore I am. (not exactly ettiquete related)

2. MOVE, asshole!

3. F/U (front) FIRED UP (back) also not on topic… sorry (Dave Tates t-shirt)

4. ??? the other replies are already good enough

[quote]BFG wrote:
4b) Curls are not squats
[/quote]

I love that line. However, I must admit that lately I have become a “rack-hog”. I use the rack for sevral exercises, and sometimes I’m in there the entire workout. But it’s OK, because no one else uses the damn thing, except the occasional curlers and shruggers.

I leave my towel on the rack overnight,
Toddy

[quote]malonetd wrote:

Toddy[/quote]

Sheeeit… I leave my towel in the rack when I go on vacation.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
thrasher wrote:
Towel on squat rack = occupied.

I am not a fan of this rule.

Half the people in commercial gyms cannot even strip weight when they are finished. We are to assume that they can remember to pick up their towel?

I can tell you right now that if I walk up to the squat rack in an ugly mood thinking about the sets ahead of me and some weenie is hanging a towel on the bar as some kind of signal that it is occupied while he spends five minutes b/t sets spanking his monkey on the other side of the gym, it’s coming off and he is going to receive a very cold reception when he comes up to inform us, “I was using that.”

If you are going to superset, fine. However, don’t expect someone to sit there and wait 5 minutes for you to return while you are off being a slapnuts, because your towel is hanging there.[/quote]

i am in partial agreement here. a single towel is iffy. my issue is this: it should be obvious that i am still lifting when i have a towel, gallon jug of water, log book, and a baseball hat all around the rack - a reservation at the rack. yet i go and grab straps out of the locker room or take a piss, and when i get back, some MORON is stripping the weights. perhaps better would be my own home made “out of order” signs. since no one knows what a squat rack is REALLY for, do you think they would really know if it is broken?

BFG

[quote]malonetd wrote:
BFG wrote:
4b) Curls are not squats

I love that line. However, I must admit that lately I have become a “rack-hog”. I use the rack for sevral exercises, and sometimes I’m in there the entire workout. But it’s OK, because no one else uses the damn thing, except the occasional curlers and shruggers.

Toddy[/quote]

again - affirmative. i do the same. on TBT 4 of my 6 are in the power rack. as you said, we are fortunate in that very few others use it. BTW, stay the f*ck out of my gym.

Thanks,
BFG

Here is my rule on the occupied squat rack.

If somebody has just a towel there but not at the rack themselves, it’s mine. I will wait about 30-45 seconds to make sure nobody is supersetting.

If all of your stuff is there but you are not, I will do what I can to find out what the deal is before I take it. Note, I will not break my back and go all over creation to find out the situation.

Regardless of the situation, if the rack is set up for curls or shrugs and you are not there, tough shit it’s mine.

That could be a shirt in itself. Rules of occupying the squat rack.

I forgot to add. Most likely the people who take the time to read all the rules on the shirt are not there to train all that hard. So at the bottom after all the rules in all caps and bold letters:

If you are not here to train hard, get the fuck out of my way!

I know this goes against the whole etiquette theme, but that is the point. I guarantee nobody will bother you.

#10 No I’m not on steroids - but thanks for asking!
#10b…not that there is anything wrong with that.

[quote]hfrogs00 wrote:
Here is my rule on the occupied squat rack.

If somebody has just a towel there but not at the rack themselves, it’s mine. I will wait about 30-45 seconds to make sure nobody is supersetting.

If all of your stuff is there but you are not, I will do what I can to find out what the deal is before I take it. Note, I will not break my back and go all over creation to find out the situation.

Regardless of the situation, if the rack is set up for curls or shrugs and you are not there, tough shit it’s mine.
[/quote]

again partial agreement. if it is set up for curl but vacant it is mine. and i will not set up a Tommy Lee Jones style manhunt to find your @ss.

but still, i look to my next location (ie bench or power rack) prior to getting there to see if it is available. so i would notice it someone was actually lifting there as well as what they were doing prior to my arrival.

besides, when i am using the rack but temporarily run away to p!ss, that sweat pool in the middle should serve as a good indicator of my occupation.

BFG