Took Neurotype Test Twice, Results

I took the online neurotype test twice, a week apart. The first time I had a little higher type 3 scores and it assessed me as a type 3. The second time, I was maybe better rested and got somewhat fewer type 3 scores and more type 1A and it rated me as a 1A. Other than the shift in scores from 3 to 1A, the other scores stayed basically the same. 1B was low on both tests. 1A was moderate the first time but highest the second. 2A, 2B and 3 were all pretty high both times though 3 was highest the first time. Can’t capture the image from the E-mail for some reason so I summarized them here with the average of the two tests.

1A	1B	2A	2B	3

Sub total “main” 30 -5 29 18 23
Sub total “secondaries 13 10 16 22 29
Sub total “other” 13 22 20 24 27
TOTAL 56 27 55 64 79

I will say that in my case it is a little complicated because I will often answer questions based on how I behaved when I worked in a group setting (as a teacher) but I have worked alone at home for the last 9+ years so some group questions are hard to evaluate. Also, I handle change a lot better when I am not stressed or am well rested, but if I am behind on rest I get stressed out by the idea of spontaneity. Anyway, I definitely don’t see myself as being a real type 1A or type 3. Wondering if I am a 2A, but also what does it mean that I have a fairly high type 3 score and a low 1B score. I think the low 1B would be normal.

My goals are to improve as a natural powerlifter. I know pretty much what works for me in terms of volume, load and frequency, but maybe the neurotype results would help me decide whether to use more speed work, or eccentrics or higher reps or slower reps or isometrics.

I tend to do well getting up to a couple heavy, but not max sets of 2-5 reps on 2-3 exercises 5 days a week. I gained decent strength that way, benching 360 and squatting and deadlifting 450 in the gym. Strength gains tend to come neurologically than from hypertrophy. I like to train in front of people (at fitness center) when I’m doing only a few things that I am good at, but if I am working on weaknesses or conditioning, I like to do it at home, and get scatterbrained if I have too many exercises in my program.

I usually feel less stressed after training as long as the training is pretty short (< 1 hour), and I feel more stressed if I don’t work out. I also get elevated mood from training and eating, which means that I will overeat when I train less. Tend to diet super strict or not at all. I like a good meal 1x a day with high quality ingredients, but often drink plain unflavored MAG-10 and Plazma most of the day until I have a nice dinner. I like to change exercises, and reps schemes and splits all the time but don’t like getting outside of 2-5 reps at 70-85% on big compound exercises for my primary training. Hate steady state cardio and 10 minutes feels like an hour though walking is fine and I like rower, airdyne, prowler, carries for hard intervals (3-6 for 10-30 second). That tends to elevate my mood.

Your Neurotype is… sociopath!

Just kidding. Obviously I’m not CT, but it seems like maybe you’re natural tendency is 1 (maybe A) and perhaps working alone/ coping with that stress, since you’re not getting the group alpha scenarios you “need, created a learned 3 behavior?

When I was a teacher, I did all of my work at home in private. I would have been considered a classic “introvert” and I almost had panic attacks when I started teaching (adrenaline sensitivity?) but once I felt competent in front of a class, I was an extremely dynamic presenter. Not a “type A” coach, but I would get into a flow where I was always thinking 1-2 steps ahead, like everything was in slow motion.

Also, I had trouble with addiction earlier in my life, first alcohol which I gave up when I was 30, and nicotine and workout stimulants which I managed to get off of cold turkey.

So while I would have been called an introvert, I will strike up conversations with anyone, even total strangers and end up talking way too much. My dad was similar. People thought he was a type A personality, but he was totally internal, but able to be an extremely dynamic public speaker (as a professor and at social gatherings).

1 Like

I’ve seen other tests that actually further segregate traits from “introvert” and “extrovert” for exactly this reason - that some people can crush it in front of a group, but may not choose to spend time with others (maybe they just don’t value the other people?).

Anyway, it will be really interesting to hear CT’s thoughts - this stuff is fascinating to me.

I just found out that I have the ACTN3 RR genotype, so maybe that is why I got pretty strong even if I might be a type 3, though I suspect still that I am a 2a. Also, tendancy to be heavier and having mild exercise induced asthma may have kept me from liking endurance activities.

How would a type 3 train for strength if they are genetically good responders to training? I remember that Poliquin thought that HIT was good for type 3s but Christian recommended something else since HIT could leave people overstimulated for a long time.

Still I have 3-4 really classic 2a characteristics, but in some cases I may have just developed really good coping strategies, or mental tricks.

1 Like

How do you know this? Still digging into this myself, but deciding who is which is still a mystery to me.

There are several websites that sell genetic testing kits that show you the genes related to cardio, muscle mass, strength potential etc.

1 Like

Or just get 23andMe or Ancestry, download your data, and look for yourself. SNPPedia has a ton of info.

1 Like

Thanks I’m going to check that out.

Thanks, will look these things up. :slight_smile:

I am 2A, and what you wrote here, I could have written it, it’s quite me