T Nation

Took Anastrozole Yesterday, Take Another Today/Tomorrow?

I went in for 1 month check in and labs today (been on 150mg test cyp for 4 weeks).

I mentioned to the doc that my libido has tanked in the past two weeks (it was pretty good pre-TRT, it dropped alarmingly to nothing), and that my anxiety has spiked. The obvious assumption is estrogen. I won’t have new lab results til next week, but based on symptoms, the doc gave me a few 1mg anastrozole tablets, cut into quarters. I popped one .25mg piece during the appointment.

I know I need to wait til I have labs back to calculate the actual AI regimen I need on a longer term basis, but in the short term, the zero libido and anxiety thing is terrible and I want to counteract it ASAP.

Question: is it beneficial / safe to take another .25mg of anastrozole today or tomorrow? Or more over the next few days?

Pre TRT I was at:

• Total T: 458
  • SHBG: 55.2
  • Free T: 6.74
  • Estradiol: 18.3

I get severe anxiety, and it sucks. Unfortunately, you have to kind of figure out your own dosage schedule. You should be fine taking a quarter every third day. For anxiety, try diphenhydramine. It’s the main ingredient in OTC sleep medication as well as OTC allergy medication. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks - I am fairly optimistic that any hormonally induced anxiety will be manageable longer term, once I have an AI regimen that’s informed by updated labs. I’m more just thinking about the next few days, and the libido issue is almost worse in the short term :slight_smile:

Appreciate the tip on diphenhydramine too, will look into that.

I can see why you’re on 150mg weekly, high SHBG. You’re likely ending your TRT honeymoon phase, it happens when your pituitary gland sees you’ve got plenty of T in your blood, now you must wait for your body to adjust which could take months.

I kinda assumed this would be the case (initial rise, then tinkering for a bit til finding right protocol). It feels shitty to be taking T and having my libido disappear as a side effect, but as long as I don’t go back to pre-TRT energy / mood, I can ride it out until things are figured out. Here’s to long term optimization.

You should self-inject T twice a week and take 1/2mg anastrozole at that time.
Weekly T injections typically delivery problems.

An effective anastrozole will probably show good results in 5-7 days. Read about anastrozole over-responders.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

Thanks - for now, I’m sticking with the .25mg dose I took after my last 150mg test cyp injection. I don’t want to overdo it before I know how I respond to anastrozole (re: over-responders).

Once I get labs back next week I’ll work with my doc to plan a good AI regimen, then do labs again after another month with an AI to fine tune. Definitely moving to 2x/week injection protocol soon too.

Appreciate all the help!