T Nation

Took a 20 Year Hiatus, Contest in May

6’4”
274 this am.
Contest in May. First one in 20 years.

3 Likes

So, first things first. You look great, especially at your age. Good job on keeping a solid base for 20 years.

Pros: Back, triceps, forearms. Nice V-taper even with the fat you’re carrying, which means that your taper will look even better when you drop the weight.

Cons: Your shoulders are very overpowered by your arms and back, especially your side delts. Your legs as a whole are lacking compared to your upper body, if you’re doing physique and wearing board shorts then no worries, if you’re doing open or Classic then it’s a different story.

We have pro BBers on here who can offer more advice concerning a timeframe for cutting/recomping. Just letting you know what I see right now.

Awesome job again on the solid foundation and props to you for being willing to put yourself out there after a long hiatus.

1 Like

I agree with flap on all points. Props for getting back out there. I’d make legs a priority for sure but like he said that’s contest dependent.

Solid base to start from no doubts you can look great by the time you’re up there.

Last posted 11/18
Comment pissed me off
So i went after it.
Some progress

4 Likes

You are… an absolute unit sir

Extremely jelly of you’re tricep insertions

Constructive criticism would be… back (both width and thickness), and legs

Yeah back is a lot of real estate at 6’4”
And I had knee surgery in February so that’s a fight too.
But lots of following articles on here and shits coming together.

2 Likes

Sorry if my comment pissed you off, I was impressed then and impressed now. Your progress is awesome, your shoulders look bigger, you’ve lost a ton of bodyfat. You could give your legs an extra boost in size by training the adductors- would give thigh thickness without causing knee discomfort.
But yeah, you look awesome, hope I didn’t offend you, was just giving some constructive criticism purely from a BBing and aesthetic standpoint.

I’m 6’4ish as well, lotta back to be built, I feel you there. Wish I had those traps too…

1 Like

I like the spot where your hamstrings should be.

I also like the rest of your body. No homo

Lemme clarity.
I train pissed. So it was awesome to have someone, not family or a yes man give an opinion.
I take that shit and make it tacklin fuel.

Fucked up thing, hamstrings strong as hell. Just can’t see them with the naked eye…

More tacklin fuel

2 Likes

Amazing arms, delts and traps. Now go for back, legs and glutes and you’ll be the total package!

16 weeks out
Classic physique
6’4”
265#
46yo

7 Likes

Noice!!!

Looking ah-mazing!!!

Very impressive, good job

Dude, your updates are awesome, haha. Lookin better every time you post. Awesome job, can’t wait to see the end product.

1 Like

no weight change
14 weeks to go.
had a quad “injury” and hematoma. want leg mass… not like

that.
walking like Forrest Gump with the braces on all week.

2 Likes

I’ve been eye-balling this and you’re a fucking wild animal, man. No bullshit, just straight progress and quick results. That’s fucking motivating.

I appreciate that.
the right coach and right woman.
plus using a shit ton of info on here (100 reps a day leg press i think added a couple inches to my legs since i started).
more pics on friday

2 Likes

so couple of questions for all (tall guys chime in)

1. chest. im still in a spot where putting on some size can happen. any input on hpw to hammer it and get some growth? anything thats worked for anyone?
  2. anyone whos competed - that vagina-esque scar in my stomach. count off for that? not a big deal?

You’re ahead of the game from me, but my chest is definitely my biggest bragging point. 6’3" I’m a pretty pec dominant bench(er). But if I had to pinpoint one thing that I feel more than the rest:

Chained DB Flyes do wonders for me. I usually do something light, 15-25lb dumbbells, + chains. Moderate stretch at extension, and blast up (without clanking weights) with a 1 second squeeze at the top. I’ll do a weight that gets me in the 12-15 rep range for 3 sets.

It can be a little sketchy with the chains, but once you get the rhythm it’s easy enough.

1 Like

Press/fly supersets were a staple for me some time back (6’3+ here).

Chest day was this:

SUPERSET
Incline DB Press 10, 8, 6, 4
Incline DB Flyes 10, 10, 8, 8
(so 10 press and 10 flyes, 8 and 10, 6 and 8, 4 and 8, and increase weight on an exercise when the reps drop, meaning you increase the weight 3 times on your press and once on your flyes)

Then Flat DB Press 10, 8, 6, 4 and Flat DB Flyes 10, 10, 8, 8

and then if you’re brave, do the same for decline.

You can rotate in incline/decline bench (I’m not a huge fan of flat bench for chest development), cable flyes HTL, LTH, or parallel, smith bench incline/flat/decline, etc. But that rep scheme, increasing weight, and the pressing movement superset with the flyes movement is money. The most brutal combination I did was Incline BB with Incline DB Flyes, then Flat DB with Flat DB flyes, then Weighted Dips with HTL cable crossovers. May take a session to dial in what weights work best, but you’re generally aiming for hitting failure on the last 2 sets of pressing, and having the flyes painful enough that you want to quit every single set.

2 Likes