T Nation

Too Young for Blast & Cruise?

I am a 35 year old healthy adult male. I have been lifting for about 5 years, but my primary training has always been martial arts for about 10 years. I train/teach martial arts 5+ days a week and lift 3 days a week. I have 2 cycles under my belt, and I am able to balance everything when on a cycle. Not so much when off. Gains in the gym are pretty tough because my recovery is just not there with all the martial arts training.

Since this is how I make my living, I have accepted that at some point I will go the TRT route to be able to continue to train and teach to my potential. So it begs the question…is there a good reason to wait to go on TRT? At that point I could blast when I wanted to without the inconvenience of recovering from a cycle, which as I understand it, gets only tougher as you get older.

Only complications i see are it possibly being harder to conceive (debateable) and having a constant supply of testosterone, so getting on trt first would benefit you in this reguard.

I am almost certainly done having kids. The Rx is needed long term for sure so I can travel.

well, as a guy involved in martial arts, i’m sure you understand why the UFC/MMA had such an issue with guys being on TRT…

for the circumstances you mentioned, there doesn’t seem to be much of a reason not to be on, since your livelihood depends on it

Do you know what your natural free and total t is?

I don’t know what my natural T is yet, but I am finishing up a PCT before I send for blood work. I can’t imagine it is very high. I am sure in “range”, but no way on the high end.

Well if the goal is gains id go for it man

Would it be prudent to run a TRT dose for 12 weeks instead of my next cycle to see how it feels?

If it were me id just run the cycle then drop to trt levels, blast, cruise… but do whatever youre comfortable with

The only reason I would do it is to save the time of finding and engaging a friendly TRT doc only to find out it wasn’t that awesome (which I find hard to believe).

TRT increased my strength significantly. However, I was very low (250). So yes, it works for me but it doesn’t feel amazing. It’s not a jolt from the sky or anything. It’s great that I can keep my levels at 1000 (makes dieting MUCH easier) but if I could go to 500-600 naturally without needles for rest of my life, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

If your levels are low go for it. If they are decent, it isn’t worth it.