T Nation

Too Often?

G,day to everyone from Australia. I have been lifting for a couple of months now and have managed to get a job in the Gym in the town I live in ( stoked ).

The main point to this is I know that doing more than say one hour of training at one time can sometimes be counter productive to muscle growth but is it too much if I train two or three times a day? I am working at the gym most days and train before and after work but want positive gains not doing damage or making it harder for myself.
Cheers

Its probably too soon for you to be doing this. It can be done with good results but personally I would wait till I had some more experience although you will probably go and do it anyway.

I thought it might be a bit early. its just annoying because i am so amped at the moment to train. I feel like if I am not doing something that i am slacking off. I know rest is super important but just am exited at the good growth and gains i am experiencing.

If you’ve only been lifting a couple of months you’ll probably get gains from any sort of training.

Are you training 2-3 hours with 2-3 one hour sessions per day, or is it just the one hour a day split into three different sessions.

But like hardgnr said, multiple training sessions will be better if you save them for a rainy day when you arent getting newbie gains anymore.

Try something basic at first like Chad Waterbury’s TBT or Rippetoe’s Starting Strength program. These will give you a good foundation to move on to other programs.

forgot to put the links in

[quote]Jackmount wrote:
I thought it might be a bit early. its just annoying because i am so amped at the moment to train. I feel like if I am not doing something that i am slacking off. I know rest is super important but just am exited at the good growth and gains i am experiencing. [/quote]

We all know the feeling. Just bust your ass in the gym and don’t leave anything on the table. This always leaves me feeling good about myself. You should be doing this anyway, but it sometimes needs to be said.

[quote]Jackmount wrote:
G,day to everyone from Australia. I have been lifting for a couple of months now and have managed to get a job in the Gym in the town I live in ( stoked ) [/quote]

Where in Australia are you? I’m in the apple isle.

I’m a massive fan of the TBT system. Something to remember is, don’t get so caught up with the tiny details about ‘this’ & ‘that’, focus on the long term habits. It’s not so much the minutes that count, but the days & weeks…do you get my crappy metaphor ?

Yeh I understand , I know its not a race but am exited about what I am doing. I have been doing 2 to 3 one hour sessions a day most days. I have been eating plenty so there is always a fuel source and havent had any problem getting enough sleep.

To The Olympian I am on the east coast in Coffs Harbour. Thanks for everyones input , much appreciated.