Too Much Water Bad? WTF?

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
To my understanding, it works along these lines: If you drink “too much” water, the blood becomes more dilute as the kidneys are unable to work fast enough to preserve homeostasis. The concentration of salt in the blood becomes lower than in the cells. The water moves from the dilute blood to the cells and organs, e.g., the brain. The brain swells and is pressed against the skull, making it unable to control vital functions such as breathing, eventually leading to death.[/quote]

Yeah - it’s what the extacy tweekers die from now and a again - they have an uncontrollable thirst, but they are, in fact, drinking far too much water…

Being a child of the 80’s (and from NE Ohio no less) I always think of the DEVO song “SIB” (Swelling, Itching Brain)

On a funny note my roommate said that there’s no difference between drinking a bottle of coke and a bottle of water.

[quote]Envision wrote:
On a funny note my roommate said that there’s no difference between drinking a bottle of coke and a bottle of water.[/quote]

“technically” your roommate is correct. The act of drinking the two bottles of fluid is the same. What happens once they are in your stomach is an entirely different story…

[quote]Envision wrote:
On a funny note my roommate said that there’s no difference between drinking a bottle of coke and a bottle of water.[/quote]

The epitome of collegiate ignorance.

I’d tell you to inform him, but it’s almost a lost cause.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Envision wrote:
On a funny note my roommate said that there’s no difference between drinking a bottle of coke and a bottle of water.

“technically” your roommate is correct. The act of drinking the two bottles of fluid is the same. What happens once they are in your stomach is an entirely different story…[/quote]

Add in the fact that caffiene will inhibit ADH, which will result in greater water loss. I do remember hearing that if you take in caffiene regularly though, your body adjusts to the diuretic effect.

I’ve never been convinced that lifters must drink a gallon of water a day. I’m not convinced they shouldn’t, either; I just don’t know. What’s the rationale for the routine recommendation to drink so much water?

My spouse drinks water constantly and constantly has to pee. It’s so annoying.

How can someone who has 100 pounds more muscle(and a high capacity for water) than someone else be expected to drink the same amount of water?

Everyone has different needs. Drink enough water to keep your urine clear.

Actually, the danger of drinking too much water has to do with rate, not volume.

Pounding down a gallon all at once = BAD, brain swelling and death.

Drinking a gallon at an even pace throughout the day = GOOD, keeping hydrated and healthy.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Everyone has different needs. Drink enough water to keep your urine clear. [/quote]

Word. Keep it in mind.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Everyone has different needs. Drink enough water to keep your urine clear.[/quote]

But I drink TONS of water and maybe once a day it will be clear. My multi-vitamin (and it’s a low-dose) taints it immediately. If I drink any more than my present levels it starts to interfere with my sleep - case in point, last night I had to get up twice. And I don’t have any issues with capacity or bladder maladies…

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:

Add in the fact that caffiene will inhibit ADH, which will result in greater water loss. I do remember hearing that if you take in caffiene regularly though, your body adjusts to the diuretic effect.[/quote]

That may be, but as a “fair weather coffee drinker” these days (was 2 pots a day, now I have 2 cups on the weekend) I can tell ya that your body flips back pretty quickly. One cup of coffee and I drain a liter. Well, then there’s the other affect it has as well (they don’t call it “pinch juice” for noithin’)

Don