Too Much Walking?

Hi everyone, so for the last month I have been cutting using the T-Dawg diet and fullbody workouts as of last week I have lost about 6 lbs of fat. My question is would walking long distances everyday be bad for keeping as much muscle as possible or in any way hinder my fat loss?

I have to walk every day about 6 miles from school to my house starting monday.

Six miles is an hour and change of walking at a moderate pace.

I suppose if you’re out of shape, it’ll kick your tail at first, but I can’t see it being a dealbreaker for muscle building, unless you’re doing it with a pack, at a quick pace over uneven ground. It’s certainly not going to do anything but help fat loss.

I really wanted to make some smart ass remarks about your question, but I figured if you’re asking it in a sensible way, you deserve a sensible answer.

It will help your fat loss.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-025-diet

[quote]conorh wrote:

I suppose if you’re out of shape, it’ll kick your tail at first, but I can’t see it being a dealbreaker for muscle building, unless you’re doing it with a pack, at a quick pace over uneven ground. It’s certainly not going to do anything but help fat loss.

I really wanted to make some smart ass remarks about your question, but I figured if you’re asking it in a sensible way, you deserve a sensible answer.[/quote]

I can do it thats no problem but there have been a lot of posts lately saying that a lot of steady state cardio isn’t good.

[quote]-ETHAN- wrote:

I can do it thats no problem but there have been a lot of posts lately saying that a lot of steady state cardio isn’t good.
[/quote]

Isn’t good for what? You may want to be careful who you take the word of. There is little in training that is “good” for everybody or “bad” for everybody. Your goal is to find what works for you, not what you read from someone in a post on an internet forum, especially if that person is simply quoting studies with little real world experience. Most bodybuilders use “steady state” (what is the deal with the new terminology floating around lately for simple shit like “walking on a treadmill”?) when dieting for contests. Why overcomplicate things? What are your overall goals? Do you have enough muscle on you to worry this much about dieting down?

Why do you think walking is bad for you? Did someone imply that “high intensity interval training” is the ONLY way you should train? Wouldn’t that depend on where you are now physically and where you are trying to get to?

Walking is great uses fat almost or exclusively as fuel is relaxing released seratonin, wont hurt gym performance and will likely aid recovery

Yes walk

Phill

If anything, it will assist in active recovery and keep you loosen up in the legs!!

6 miles per day sounds good.

If you’re really concerned about muscle loss, have a protein shake before the walk.

1 scoop of whey, maybe a teaspoon of BCAAs, water, and go.

In theory it’ll protect against the small amount of cortisol released during the walk and I’m sure having all that protein-enriched blood flowing through your legs during the hour can’t do anything but good for recovery.

– ElbowStrike

I understand all the arguments against too much steady-state cardio.

However, it’s definitely going overboard to suggest that a healthy, active lifestyle, which includes lots of walking, can be considered detrimental.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Walking is great uses fat almost or exclusively as fuel is relaxing released seratonin, wont hurt gym performance and will likely aid recovery

Yes walk

Phill[/quote]

I agree with Phill…it is relaxing, helps burn fat, and I often use it as an active recovery…especially on the days after I work my lower body. It really gets the legs loosened back up, and helps dissipate any soreness that I may have in them.

[quote]dragonmamma wrote:
I understand all the arguments against too much steady-state cardio.

However, it’s definitely going overboard to suggest that a healthy, active lifestyle, which includes lots of walking, can be considered detrimental.[/quote]

This is a great point!

Some people enjoy walking, those people need to walk.

I plan on biking and hiking AMAP this spring and summer.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
-ETHAN- wrote:

Isn’t good for what? You may want to be careful who you take the word of. There is little in training that is “good” for everybody or “bad” for everybody. Your goal is to find what works for you, not what you read from someone in a post on an internet forum, especially if that person is simply quoting studies with little real world experience. Most bodybuilders use “steady state” (what is the deal with the new terminology floating around lately for simple shit like “walking on a treadmill”?) when dieting for contests. Why overcomplicate things? What are your overall goals? Do you have enough muscle on you to worry this much about dieting down?

Why do you think walking is bad for you? Did someone imply that “high intensity interval training” is the ONLY way you should train? Wouldn’t that depend on where you are now physically and where you are trying to get to?[/quote]

Interesting points as usual Professor X. I started Lonnie Lowery’s “100 workouts to Lean City” two weeks ago and I really like it. I am leaner (at least I feel leaner)and have noticed that it has not hurt my weightlifting at all.

I asked Chad Waterbury his opinion on this type of training via e-mail and he doesn’t like it. Will I continue to do it even though Chad thinks it isn’t as effective as HIIT or that it can affect muscle loss? Of course! I will continue to do it until I am sure it is not good for my body.

Sometimes we just have to go do it, in spite of what other “experts” say. I love Chad’s stuff, but even he told me, “If it works for you, do it. If not, do HIIT for 15 minutes”. Chart your own course, people.

[quote]-ETHAN- wrote:
conorh wrote:

I really wanted to make some smart ass remarks about your question, but I figured if you’re asking it in a sensible way, you deserve a sensible answer.

[/quote]

Walking isn’t cardio. Unless you are very unfit or a race walker, wear a weight vest, or only walk uphill.