T Nation

Too Much Volume?

Here is an example of the kind of workout I have just started doing. Days 1 and 3 are usually 3x8-10, 4x6, or 10,8,6. Can someone tell me if they think this is too much volume. Should I cut out curls and tricep extensions on day one?

Day 1
DB military press
rear/side/front (3/2/1) lateral raise
Dips or Close-grip bench
Hammer V-squat or leg curl s.s. w/ extensions
curls or some kind s.s w/
tricep ext. of some kind

Day 3 - some combination or complex with the following:
power snatch
OH squat
power clean
front squat
(probably 10-15 sets of 3 or 4 reps total)

Day 5
Hammer Chest Press
DB bench cable X-over (don't laugh)
Hammer Rows
Yates Rows or or some other rows
Leg Press or front squat
external rotation

Also forgot to mention that I can't do deads or heavy squats for now because of a hip injury so thats whay all the machine stuff. Anyway, is there anything I should change?

A person knows relatively quickly whether he/she is doing too much volume in the routines. It is a very individual thing imo. From my training preferences, no it does not appear to be too much volume.

Good luck

Why so much machine work?

The leg machine stuff is because I have developed a hip injury that prevents me from doing heavy hip extension movements. No deads, GMs, heavy squats or single leg exercises. Most machine stuff doesn't cause pain so I am going to try to do that primarily for a while to see if my injury will heal.

Any upper body machine stuff is either because it is easier on my shoulder than using a barbell (bench presses) or because it is a change from what I usually do and I figure any change is good.

Any other opinions?

I'm impressed! You didn't even give him shit for asking a question on the very thing you answered in your last paragraph!

I think it's too much. I reckon 16 sets is a lot of sets. Anything more than that is too much for most trainees.