T Nation

Too much volume on Mag-10?

Just coming off 2 weeks of GSP2 workouts (twice a day). Second time doing this. First time I did this, the 2 a days killed me and I was overtrained after a little over a week. This time, after two weeks, I actually felt like the volume was too light (got way more sleep this time around).

I increased the volume slightly on some of the workouts, and added some accessory work. But still, at the end of two weeks – I feel fresh and ready for more. Feel like I could’ve done more. Up about 10 lbs. and strength is up. Overall, pretty happy, and ready for 2 more weeks of Mag-10.

Question: I plan to do the next two weeks using the once-a-day workouts in the GSP2 plan. But I want to jack up the volume – your thoughts/critiques? (I will post my workout plan in a follow-up to keep the initial post shorter)

Any feedback from anyone who has done GSP2 with once-a-day workouts?

Here is my workout plan. Changed a few of the exercises and rep/set schemes and added a lot of volume. Part of the reason for adding the volume is to increase workout density, as it usually takes me a long time to recover between sets. I’m going to drop rest times intentionally to add volume/density, and sacrifice a little intensity (weight).

Monday
Barbell Bench Press: 5 sets 10/8/6/4/2 reps
Incline Flies: 3 sets of triple strips (5,5,5)
Bent Over T-bar Rows: 5 sets 8 reps
Underhand and Close Grip Seated Rows: 3 sets of triple strips (5,5,5)
Standing Barbell Press: 3 sets 6-8 reps
Front Shoulder Raises: 3 sets of triple strips (5,5,5)
Abs (leg raises): 5 sets

Tuesday
Barbell Lunges: 4 sets 8-10 reps
Lying Leg Curls: 3 sets of triple strips (5,5,5)
Preacher Curls With Dumbbells: 5 sets 8-10 reps
Dips: 3 sets of 8-10 reps
Triceps Pushdowns: 3 sets 8-10 reps
Standing Calf Raise: 4 sets of 10

Wednesday
Peck Deck: 4 sets of 15 reps
Pull Downs (close parallel grip): 4 sets of 15 reps
Rear Deltoid on Peck Deck: 3 sets of 15 reps

Thursday
Back Squats: 3 sets of 8/6/4 reps
Deep Squats: 3 sets of triple strips (5,5,5)
Glute-Ham Raises: 3 sets
Standing Barbell Curls: 5 sets 8-10 reps
Lying Triceps Extension: 5 sets 8-10 reps
Seated Calf Raise: 4 sets 15-20 reps

Friday
Wide Grip Pull-Ups: 50 reps
Bent-over Cable Row (Pronated grip): 3 sets 10-12 reps
Incline DB Bench Press: 5 sets 12/10/8/6/4 reps
Push-Ups (feet up on bench, hands turned out): 5 sets to failure
Arnold Press: 4 sets 10-12 reps
Lean-away Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 4 sets 10 reps
Abs: 5 sets crunches or similar

Saturday
Leg Extensions: 4 sets of 15 reps
Romanian Deadlifts: 4 sets of 12 reps
Donkey Calf Raise or Standing Calf Raise: 3 sets of 15 reps

Sunday
Off

Thoughts/impressions? What about other ideas for follow-up workout to GSP2 while on Mag-10?

I don’t want to do GVT or GVT2000 because of the lack of strength emphasis. I tried OVT a while back and didn’t like it too much because of the slow eccentrics (I’m sure they are both great programs, but they just aren’t the type of workouts I tend to like). I don’t want to go with EDT, again because of the lack of strength emphasis.

Main goals: increase strength all-around (but primarily bench, squat, deadlift) and add some LBM (hope to get to 225 soon, currently around 210). After this, I plan to go straight into Westside training.