Too Much Traps?!

Hey Thib

I wonder if you have any specific mobility routine/ stretches to relax traps after olympic lifting workouts.

My upper traps are very prone to hypertrophy and whenever i do power cleans they get tight to the level i get headaches for a few days.

Thanks a lot

[quote]outlaws wrote:
Hey Thib

I wonder if you have any specific mobility routine/ stretches to relax traps after olympic lifting workouts.

My upper traps are very prone to hypertrophy and whenever i do power cleans they get tight to the level i get headaches for a few days.

Thanks a lot[/quote]

I know the feeling! But it actually is likely an inflammation of the levator scapulae not traps… I sometimes get the same… at one point I had to put Voltaren (anti-inflammatory cream) on the side of my head!!!

I find that I get this more when I do lifts from the hang or when I lower the weight down instead of dropping the weight on the floor between reps… it is the action of dropping the weight than suddenly catching it between reps that causes it.

Are you doing the lifts from the hang?

That’s actually one of the reasons i don’t pull from hang anymore because i feel like it will lead to postural imbalances in short time

Yes, don’t have bumper plates too unfortunately, probably should find a middle way of dropping it slow

Thanks a lot!

I’ve has this before, especially after I start doing a lot of snatch grip high pulls from the hang, and this seemed to help me more than anything. The whole video is good, but about 3:45 starts the levator mobilization. Scapular Mobility | Feat. Kelly Starrett | MobilityWOD - YouTube