Too Much/Too Little Dietary Fat for Natural Lifters?

Hi Coach C

I recently saw your video “How much protein do you need” and you mentioned that there is a point where more protein can actually be detrimental to gaining muscle. You also talk in your natty programs about the importance of carbs (especially around the workout), but that got me wondering about fat… Is there such a thing as too much or too little fat? Currently my fat intake is around 30% (75-80g) of my total calorie intake . As natural lifters (don’t know if it makes a difference), is there such a thing as a minimum and maximum fat intake we need for maximizing muscle gains?

Thanks in advance!
Doug

Well, there is such a thing as too little fat for sure.

Fatty acids are important for several things, from hormone production to brain maintenance and the absorption of some vitamins.

At 75-80g you are fine.

Is there an upper limit? Sure. But that is actually specific to the individual and to the type of fatty acids ingested.

Of course, there is the issue of possible fat gain from consuming too much fat. But also in having a poor blood lipid profile, elevated LDL and VLDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) which could lead to health issues. Some people metabolize fat more efficiently than others. Some will naturally make more LDL/VLDL and less HDL cholesterol and can thus not have the same amount of fat in their diet.

I know that if I add omega-6 fatty acids (lots of red meat, cheese, cream) I start to have cardiovascular issues. But if I consume the same amount of fat but with more of it as omega-3 fatty acids and other good oils, I’m fine.

That’s interesting. Do you put that down to the commercial grain fed meats you have consumed?

Are you able to share any past bloods showing cholesterol levels?

I thinik it was more the cheese and 35% cream that I was having plenty off.

1 Like

Coach, may ask you about your thoughts/experience what´s happing with me because its wierd to me:d.

I am truly hardgainer (fat-skinny – 200lbs), I need to eat cca 4K kcal but mostly it goes to fat so let say every 10-12 weeks I do minicut for 3-4 weeks (1700 Kcal daily, 120g Carbs a day).

During the minicut I feel like a god (sleeping, energie, trainig etc) and smash PR´s every session that I couldnt reached during surplus (I couldnt reached 7 reps per press for weeks and last two weeks I am on 9 reps!)

I dont know how is this possible, I know if I want to gain muscles I need to be in surplus but I feel I progress mostly in deep deficite. Training is same, only I reduce 1 working set from each movement, basicly back-up sets but TOP sets remain and PRs are smased).

Have you every experience this? Thank you

When you eating 4k cals + your body is always trying to diggest and all your energy is going throught that. This can be that simple.

1 Like

good food is greasy and salty bro
:sunglasses: