Too Much Squatting?

Guys, before you flame me:

1. I am not another newbie trying to find reasons to not squat
  2. This is all I found by searching: Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness

Right now, I am squatting 5x5 three times a week. My workouts are A- squats, bench, deadlifts, B- squats, standing shoulder presses, barbell rows. All 5 x 5, A-B-A-B format, thrice a week, with a few intervals on the elliptical/treadmill/rowing machine on the other 3 days and some tennis on the other 7th day.

I was told that squatting 5x5 thrice and deadlifting 5x5 1/2 times a week can fuck up the knees pretty quickly. And AFter doing this for 3 weeks, today my knees feel a little odd. I think a lot of squatting volume can help me on my fat loss (6lb down as of now, and stronger), so I want to know if I can keep the squat/dead volume or reduce it.
How does 3x5 squats while keeping the 5x5 deadlifts sound?

Also, any training routine suggestions which can help me onmy fat loss AND gain some strength will be helpful.

Thank you
-FB

How old are you?
How is your form?
Have you ever had knee issues in the past?

I am 25 years old.
I do not round my lower back, form is OK. However, from a week or so, I reduced the ROM a little. I was doing ATG squats in the beginning, but as the weights increased, I reduced the ROm and now am slowly trying to go deeper while adding little weight every week.
I did not have any knee issues in the past.

This can be the problem. Doing partial squats puts your knees at the shear point of the ROM. Increase weight at a slower rate and maintain full ROM.

I am a beginner on Starting strength. I have been Squating 3x a week since april. Now I back squat ATG Monday, Friday, and front squat Wednesday. I have had no problems.

[quote]degerdahl wrote:
I am a beginner on Starting strength. I have been Squating 3x a week since april. Now I back squat ATG Monday, Friday, and front squat Wednesday. I have had no problems. [/quote]

A couple of years ago, I did that too. I never had any problems with starting strength, and I made decent strength gains.

However, starting strength calls for 3x5 squats and 1x5 deadlifts a week. I am doing 5x5 squats thrice a week and 5x5 deadlifts. I was wondering if the additional volume is an issue.

[quote]Wlfdg wrote:

This can be the problem. Doing partial squats puts your knees at the shear point of the ROM. Increase weight at a slower rate and maintain full ROM.[/quote]

OK… ATG then… Thank you.

unless you have any previous problems with your knees (even then), your tendons and muscles just getting tighter, so strecth and foam roll everyday!

oh, and there is no such thing as too much squatting

Your knees hurting isn’t a normal response to squatting, even if your doing alot of volume. What you have to be most worried about with programs like that is your nervous system being shot to shit. Some people can handle volume and short rests like that and even need it, others, usually very fast twitch types, may need much much longer to recover. If I deadlift heavy, I may need 10 days before I am ready to go again.

you have to take a comfortable stance. and push your knees out duiring the squat so they dont buckle. if your knees move towards each other at any point during the squat you risk injury and will likely feel pain. of course there are other ways to cause pain and injury, just that this is a common one for beginners who arent using huge loads.

Your stance is dictated by your own personal physiology. Specifically the difference between the lengths of your femur and tibia. The longer your tibia is, in relation to your femur, the narrower your stance should be.

Easiest way to tell is to get down in the rock bottom squat position and play around with your foot position. You’ll find the sweet spot.

There is also another sweet spot pertaining to deep squatting. You don’t want to bounce out of the hole, but there is a timing to the ‘detonation’. When you get it right, you will feel no stress on the knee joint at all. If you bounce, the weight will try to lever your knee apart using the calf/ham contact point as a fulcrum. The explosion happens before you get to the bottom, not on the way back up.

The other thing not mentioned is flexibility. Those with the flexibility to properly squat are few. I would bet just about anything that most of and possibly all the problems you have squatting relate to flexibility. So make sure it is good.

Post vids of these “ATG” squats. I’m not saying I think you’re lying, but sometimes people think something that isn’t ATG is ATG.

Also, Don’t just back squat. Use front squats, zercher squats, hack squats, etc. It’ll help you avoid developing imbalances.

Thanks for the input guys.
I think I found the problem - my form isn’t good. My knees are moving too forward, and I suppose “moving knees beyond the feet” is causing the knee pain. I squatted yesterday and now my right knee hurts.

Also, I will drop some weight and go lower, I should certainly squat much deeper. If I feel pain even after the next squat secession, I will try to get a video for your opinions.

I hope I did not fuck up my knees too much…

And about mixing it up, for a start, how does front squats one day and back squats the next time sound? Or - front-back-hack-front…?

Thanks guys.

Are your IT bands tight?

It seems fairly common for those training their lower body frequently to develop tight IT Bands, which contribute to knee pain.

Foam rolling them can be incredibly painful at first, but it’s well worth it.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Are your IT bands tight?

It seems fairly common for those training their lower body frequently to develop tight IT Bands, which contribute to knee pain.

Foam rolling them can be incredibly painful at first, but it’s well worth it.[/quote]

Symptoms

ITBS symptoms range from a stinging sensation just above the knee joint (on the outside of the knee or along the entire length of the iliotibial band) to swelling or thickening of the tissue at the point where the band moves over the femur. The pain may not occur immediately during activity, but may intensify over time, especially as the foot strikes the ground. Pain might persist after activity. Pain may also be present below the knee, where the ITB actually attaches to the tibia.

Sports activities to avoid while symptomatic
Running
Stair climbing or mountaineering
Deadlifts or squats

SO, what do I do now? That seems to describe my situation… But today is the first day I actually feel any pain, I will give it a day or two and try. And improve my form.

If I should not squat or deadlift, then what do I do? Curls? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes there is such a thing as too much squatting (sorry to say). If it starts to effect your body negatively (excessively tight hips or lower back), problems will develop.

Make sure you do mobility work (for instance dynamic warm-up) and easy off the squats if you start noticing any problems. Even though many have made great gains squatting 3 times a week, it might not be right for everyone. Listen to your body.

why are people obsessed with squats being ATG

whats wrong with knee joint parallel to hip joint

any advice for back squats for someone with really really long femurs?