T Nation

Too Much Sleep?

My girlfriend and I have opposing views about sleep. I say about 10 hours of sleep is fine, but she says it’s too much … and bad for me.

She’s looking up all of these articles saying that too much sleep can lead to a higher risk of cancer, shorter life … blah blah blah.

What do you guys think?

I say, where in the District do you live that you can get 10 hours of sleep!? I’m thinking of moving soon and I might just have to move to your neighborhood. I’m in Glover Park now, which is pretty quiet, but I still get woken up all the time. Adam’s Morgan and Dupont seem like hell with all the noise. I’m up in the air about this.

Oh, and your GF is nuts! lol just kiddin. I love to sleep though, and the more the merrier.

I understand.

I assume you lift/train pretty hard since you are on this site.

Since you do that, you need more sleep. Your body needs more time to recover. Your GF probably doesn’t train hard/lift, therefore all she needs is like 7-8 and shes fine. You need what makes you feel well rested. For me, thats about 10 as well.

It depends on how much stress you have in your life. Personally, I get about 8-10 hours of sleep every night and feel just fine. I think listening to your body is the most important. If you need 8 or 9 hours of sleep, then try getting 8-9 hours of sleep. Nevertheless, 8-10 hours is just fine.

Keep in mind that there’s nothing that pisses a woman off more than the sight of a man not working.

Sleeping? Hell no.

dump your girlfriend and go back to sleep.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
dump your girlfriend and go back to sleep.[/quote]

LOL!

I always thought you have had enough sleep for the night when you wake up on your own. But, I’m biased, I sleep all the time. Because of my work schedule, every other day I sleep about 12 hours. On the other days I sleep about 6.

I get 6-7 hours, which isn’t enough. But, if I want to keep my job, lift weights and have a relationship with my wife and kids, it’s all I can get. If the kids are sick, I get even less. That’s life. When I’m on vacation without the kids (rarely) I will easily get in 10 hours.

DB

8 hours for me. Just tell her that you are getting the right amount, you feel good and that is all that matters.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
I say, where in the District do you live that you can get 10 hours of sleep!? I’m thinking of moving soon and I might just have to move to your neighborhood. I’m in Glover Park now, which is pretty quiet, but I still get woken up all the time. Adam’s Morgan and Dupont seem like hell with all the noise. I’m up in the air about this.

Oh, and your GF is nuts! lol just kiddin. I love to sleep though, and the more the merrier.[/quote]

I’m at GW university, and I’m next to the hospital so I don’t know how I’m able to sleep. I wake up a couple of times to sirens in the morning and roommates, but for the most part I’m getting 8 hours at least every night.

I told her the same thing about too much sleep might be bad for someone who’s all ready sedentary, but since I get a lot more physical activity than most people its fine.

I’m going to get as much sleep as I can, and I was just wondering if anyone thought there was any validity to these studies she’s pulling up about too much sleep.

I told her there are just too many variables to consider that might make the study unreliable.

[quote]Blongo wrote:
I’m at GW university, and I’m next to the hospital so I don’t know how I’m able to sleep. I wake up a couple of times to sirens in the morning and roommates, but for the most part I’m getting 8 hours at least every night.[/quote]

That’s cool. I’m actually starting a masters degree at GW this June. What is the rent like there or are you actually on campus?

I’ve been out looking for a place all day actually. I saw a really nice place in Ledroit which is a somewhat shady neighborhood kind of close to Howard. The owner of the place was oh so fine though.

As long as it feels good it’s good!
I usually get waken up because it’s a noisy area here…but I still sleep at least 8/9 hours.

I believe that you could easy overfeed yourself, even every day, but you could not “oversleep”. Sooner or later you will not sleep more and more.
So if you need 10 hours, why the hell not (lucky you BTW) ?

There is a lot of evidence that couple of generation back they used to sleep much more than we do (no electricity, no Playstation, no cinema) and they were, in many aspects, much more healthy than we are.

No such thing as too much sleep.

If you’re bulking you might wanna consider waking up and eating in the night especially if you’re getting 10+, though.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Blongo wrote:
I’m at GW university, and I’m next to the hospital so I don’t know how I’m able to sleep. I wake up a couple of times to sirens in the morning and roommates, but for the most part I’m getting 8 hours at least every night.

That’s cool. I’m actually starting a masters degree at GW this June. What is the rent like there or are you actually on campus?

I’ve been out looking for a place all day actually. I saw a really nice place in Ledroit which is a somewhat shady neighborhood kind of close to Howard. The owner of the place was oh so fine though. [/quote]

I’m on campus, and i don’t really know a lot about the area. Sorry I can’t help ya

Unless your physical exercise is overly taxing, you probably don’t need that much sleep, but I’m young and full of virility so the same probably doesn’t apply to you.

As a reference, you get rest/regeneration based on the number of sleeping cycles you go through. A person’s cycle usually lasts ~70-90 minutes of uninterrupted sleep, and most adults are fine with 6 cycles.

8 to 10 seems to be the perfect amount if quality of sleep is good enough. it’s all about how much physical and mental stress you are suffering from.

Sometimes you get only few hours of shitty sleep, but a shower and a decent meal can fix that… sometimes you can sleep all day and it just makes you more tired. Finding the balance between how much you want and how much you actually need seems to be the key like with everything else in life.

Withold the dick until she learns to stop nagging you.

I have to agree with this.

[quote]ShaneM686 wrote:
I understand.

I assume you lift/train pretty hard since you are on this site.

Since you do that, you need more sleep. Your body needs more time to recover. Your GF probably doesn’t train hard/lift, therefore all she needs is like 7-8 and shes fine. You need what makes you feel well rested. For me, thats about 10 as well.[/quote]