Too Much Sleep?

Talking with my boss, impressive dude, rich as fuck blah blah… we were discussing the effects of a good night’s rest, he said that he doesn’t use an alarm clock because the sudden jarring from REM sleep is bad for you.

…ok i can get with that, kinda makes sense.

then he says he only sleeps 5hrs a night

…ok, not unusual for most.

THEN he tells me that anything over 6 hrs of sleep is bad for you and quotes some studies and other bullshit. I tell him i need at LEAST 8 to function at a high level, though I usually run on less, i know its not ideal and still try to get naps in.

now im jokingly made fun of as sleepyhead…

this is coming from a guy who’s had 2 heart attacks, is still overweight, and has sleep apnea… i also hear him breathing before i see him.

though he is rich as hell, only dates girls under 22 (despite being ~60) and says he swims a lot.

this thread has no pt, i just had to share

i think this is why i bite my tongue 99% of the time when people talk about fitness and stuff.

i hate getting asked all the time, “yea im tryin to get back in the gym what do you think i should do?”

and stupid stuff. If i actually reccomend something that puts someone out of their comfort zone the person thinks im fucking outrageous.

but ive yet to hear “wow you want me to sleep TOO much”

seriously what the fuck.

May I ask what this guy does for a living?

If I sleep over 7 hours I generally feel like ass for a good portion of the day. If I’m not called in for a shift on the weekends, sometimes I’ll use the time for a massive sleep but most of the time 6-7 hours has me good to go.

most studies show 7-9 hrs being optimal, not sure what he’s talking about

personally, less than 8 I don’t do so well, about 8.5-9 is what I prefer

I like to sleep about 10 hours a night, sometimes as much as 12. Then again, I often read more in a week than most people read in a year, and I probably need the sleep to consolidate all the info.

And if anyone ever mentions a study about anything, ask for the citation. If they don’t know it, there is a good chance they heard it on the news (i.e., they heard a reporter’s [who probably has no knowledge on the topic] take on a study from a journal of unknown quality, or perhaps even a non peer-reviewed conference), and it could very well be bunk.

I’m with Aleksandr on this one.

Real estate is what he does owns a commercial brokerage, property management company, an escrow company, invests himself (owns like 1/2 of victorville) and he has a restaurant in upland as well. id give you his name but i know better than to mix the internet and real life haha…

Aleksandr I’m the same way, lived without cable tv for about a year and 1/2, i did watch a few things online but most of the time i was reading and even when im not reading im listening to audiobooks.

im huge on the pursuit of knowledge for my own personal benefit. i like being able to engage anyone in conversation or just listen w/o being lost.

I train a lot, 2x a day 5-6days out of the week. so obviously i need more sleep, thus why i learned how to power nap. combination of eye shade + pull a beanie over my eyes + ambient noise= none can defend

but 5hrs being optimal is a joke, ive NEVER heard less than 8 being optimal and i’ve heard up to 10 being best.

I did ask for a citation, but im not staying at this job long id rather leave w/o any animosity. so i smile, nod, “oh maybe you’re right” proving him wrong only satisfies my ego and doesn’t accomplish anything positive for me. Its not going to get my commission raised so fuck it lol.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
I did ask for a citation, but im not staying at this job long id rather leave w/o any animosity. so i smile, nod, “oh maybe you’re right” proving him wrong only satisfies my ego and doesn’t accomplish anything positive for me. Its not going to get my commission raised so fuck it lol.

[/quote]

smart

Thanks, perfectly understandible, I asked because when I hear about a fat rich 60+year-old who dates college chicks…that’s my que to start taking notes.

I sleep about 8-9 hours a day. Maybe he was referring to that BS study that said too much sleep contributes to obesity.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Real estate is what he does owns a commercial brokerage, property management company, an escrow company, invests himself (owns like 1/2 of victorville) and he has a restaurant in upland as well. id give you his name but i know better than to mix the internet and real life haha…

[/quote]

Completely understandable… thats why I usually pay attention to him but this time I call bullshido.

Maybe he only sleeps 5 hrs. a night because he is very busy “sleeping” with college girls. And he said it is optimal… for him. Jeez, man, be happy for others, why won’t you? :frowning:

There are some freaks who naturally thrive on much lower levels of sleep. Whether he’s one of them or is just tolerant of feeling crappy is one issue.

I’m one of those who needs 8.5-9.5 per night to feel 100% but unfortunately I’m closer to the 5.5-7.5 range during the week.

Oh, that’s right!

Old people tend to need a lot less sleep than younger folks! It’s why they get up so early and go to IHOP. I’m not a sleep expert, but it probably has to do with how much they need to reconcile the new things they learn each day. They have more “crystallized intelligence”, but less “fluid intelligence”, and this is probably related to differences in amount of sleep.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

this is coming from a guy who’s had 2 heart attacks, is still overweight, and has sleep apnea… i also hear him breathing before i see him.

[/quote]

A girl would have to be VERY drunk and desperate to sleep with this guy, while hoping he has another heart attack so she can roll him for his watch and wallet.

I don’t look at guy’s profiles but I’m guessing you’re in good shape right? Personally, I think he just needs something to make you think he is better than you at something…besides being rich and picking up lots of hot, young ass.

I had the same thing happen to me believe it or not, although it happened during a fucking job interview no less - can you believe that? He starts off telling me I’m too tan, and already I want climb over the desk - I wanted to say “well, I’m playing golf 2-3x/wk, is that going to be a problem?” Just curious, is it a greasy wop named Joe in Cincinnati? lol. I digress. Anyway, this guy was on a mission the whole interview to tell me how he is so great, and sleeping just a few hours a night was one of his great accomplishments…the fat bastard needed some beauty rest IMO.

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
Oh, that’s right!

Old people tend to need a lot less sleep than younger folks! It’s why they get up so early and go to IHOP. I’m not a sleep expert, but it probably has to do with how much they need to reconcile the new things they learn each day. They have more “crystallized intelligence”, but less “fluid intelligence”, and this is probably related to differences in amount of sleep.[/quote]

Wtf? You’ve got some interesting theories. I think older people’s sleep habits have more to do with comfort than a lack of “fluid intelligence” (whatever that means). They tend to get stiff and achy after a few hours of sleep and their bladders are not as flexible as they once were, so they need to get out of bed to pee. Anyone who has shared a house with someone over 65 knows they often get up in the middle of the night to get to the bathroom.

I think Xen’s boss probably has some medical reasons that contribute to his sleep habits. Two heart attacks leads me to believe he has some circulatory issues. If he has a lot going on in his head with his businesses, coupled with the fact that he is physically uncomfortable after a few hours lying down, probably leads to him getting a shorter night’s sleep.

DB

Regardless of the motivations of the OP’s boss regarding sleep it’s pretty common for successful people to function on fairly low levels of sleep (especially considering what the average seems to be around here). I make it a point to get 8 hours of sleep a night. I live an active life and I need the sleep, but it’s not at all uncommon for me to do with less. A lot less. From past experience I know that I can easily function on 5 hours of sleep. And I’ve had to get by on less (3-4). Not having long stretches to devote to sleep can be just one of the prices one pays for success. Figuring out how to balance your time in order to do everything you have to do is one of the primary challenges successful people face.

[quote]Khronos wrote:
Not having long stretches to devote to sleep can be just one of the prices one pays for success. [/quote]

Especially if you are a psychotic serial killer.

These days, I have to “get by” on 8. I should probably sleep 9-10 hours a night, but who has that kind of time?

He has a driver, he has a chef, etc… if you go through all of that trouble to eliminate workload from yourself you can get more than 3-4hrs sleep.

In college i would routinely go about a week w/ only maybe 30min-1hr sleep a day so i know how to get by w/o sleep (but i was lifting at the time still so ended up catching pneumonia…twice… but thats another story)

I LIKE to sleep a lot more often but between training twice a day, work, gf, family, starting my own business, trying to get into grad school… im busy as fuck… so i’ve been known to get little sleep as well.

but this is the first time someone’s told me that it was BAD for me to sleep a lot.

Thats like hearing its BAD for you to eat your vegetables.

in retrospect i think he was just bustin balls and i took it a lil more personal than it was.

but still if/when i ever reach a level of success like that, the whole point is so that im able to get some fucking sleep lol