T Nation

Too Much Sleep is Dangerous

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/30/oversleeping.health.effects/index.html

Thoughts? I don’t know about it. It seems weird to say that getting more than 8 hours of sleep a night increase mortality rate…

Since most deaths occur in bed, it’s safe to assume that beds are killing people.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Since most deaths occur in bed, it’s safe to assume that beds are killing people.
[/quote]

LOL!

Oh GAWD!!!

Im screwed!
Game over mannnnnn!!!

I experience this a lot actually. I usually get 5-7 hours sleep m/w/f when i have an 8 am class… im dead till noon…sometimes even 3 or 4pm the next day when I dont have class… feel like shit thursday and sleep all weekend and have trouble getting up to do anything. I will wake up…fall alseep ten minutes later. When I try to go to sleep earlier it doesnt work…i just dont fall alseep.

[quote]roybot wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:

LOL!

[/quote]

Awesome!

I’m thinking that’s what happens when the tags are removed.

I feel like shit when I get too much sleep. I find I function best with 7-8 hours. I used to sleep 10-12 hours every night and wondered why I was still so tired. I think the key is is to get on a schedule, in bed at the same time each night.

Well according to these articles people shouldn’t sleep and should starve themselves to avoid death.

I’d be tired as well on weekends if I lived like that. I wouldn’t actually blame the 12 hours of sleep, though, but rather the five days of not sleeping enough beforehand and the irregular sleeping schedule. Presumably, the excessive stress that leaves me in a condition wanting to stay in bed that long on my day off would be a relevant factor as well.

Well, depression is correlated with increased mortality and I know people who are depressed sometimes spend a lot of time in bed.

I notice that whenever I sleep 11-12 hrs or something like that, I feel groggy the whole day. But like the guy said above me, I’m not sure if this is from a bunch of sleep or still the effects from the 3-4 days beforehand of 6-7 hours of sleep. From my understanding it takes 2-3 days of full sleep to get accustomed back to not feeling tired.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
Like many professionals, Wu sleeps little on the weekdays (about five hours) and makes up for it on weekends, spending eight to 12 hours blissfully hibernating. Sometimes, after a long stretch, he wakes up too tired to function.

I’d be tired as well on weekends if I lived like that. I wouldn’t actually blame the 12 hours of sleep, though, but rather the five days of not sleeping enough beforehand and the irregular sleeping schedule. Presumably, the excessive stress that leaves me in a condition wanting to stay in bed that long on my day off would be a relevant factor as well.[/quote]

That’s what I thought - the 5 hours sleep during the week would leave me wrecked on weekends.

I get 6-8.5 hours during the week, and 8-10 on weekends and I feel great.

I know that after getting up at 5:45 every morning to workout for the last 8 months or so, that even if i don’t get a lot of sleep the night before, i still feel ok in the morning, as long as i make it up the next night. I getting 10-12+ some days on the weekend and I feel great after waking. It said in the article that you shouldn’t get more than 8. I thought that was stupid. I was under the impression that most humans that weight train need additional hours.

It may have to do with the fact of lying in bed too much.

Normally you spend about one-third of your time horizontal vs. vertical. If you reverse that ratio, it’s like living in space, your body atrophies and degenerates.

I don’t function on less than 9 hours of sleep. I prefer 10 and 12 is nice on the weekends if I can manage it. It’s really an individual thing.