T Nation

Too Much Protein?

Hi there, im currently doing split routines 2 days then rest, then 2 days, rest something like that. i’ve been drinking protein shakes during my workouts. On my off days, i go to the gym and just do cycling for cardio, is it bad idea to keep taking those protein shakes? should I decrease the amount?

There was a point where I was eating enough carbs, lifted and did cardio everyday and i was losing a pound a day. I was probably breaking down my protein and I don’t want to do that again.

And Under 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs, it said 30% of energy intake should be from fat, why? Why can’t I just avoid fat if its what im trying to burn and utilize energy from carbs and burn my existing fat?

Thanks,
Mike

You need to search around here a bit. You’re asking for a complete education on nutrition. I’ll give you something to chew on (pun intended). I get at least 65% of my calories from fat and I am far from getting fat. Beef, whole eggs, bacon, regular cheese. mmmmmm.

[quote]Nguyenm wrote:
Hi there, im currently doing split routines 2 days then rest, then 2 days, rest something like that. i’ve been drinking protein shakes during my workouts. On my off days, i go to the gym and just do cycling for cardio, is it bad idea to keep taking those protein shakes? should I decrease the amount?

There was a point where I was eating enough carbs, lifted and did cardio everyday and i was losing a pound a day. I was probably breaking down my protein and I don’t want to do that again.

And Under 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs, it said 30% of energy intake should be from fat, why? Why can’t I just avoid fat if its what im trying to burn and utilize energy from carbs and burn my existing fat?

Thanks,
Mike[/quote]

Your body burns fat you take in really fast, and takes more energy for carbs and protein. Check out TEF while you are searching around.

i’m sorry but what is TEF?

Your body needs dietary fat to process body fat metabolism-especially omega 3’s.

[quote]Nguyenm wrote:
i’m sorry but what is TEF?

[/quote]

Thermal effect of food, but While weakling meant well fat has the least. I was nudging in the same direction that Cthulu was. Fat does not make you fat by itself and lack of it can effect your metabolism in such a way that you may start shaving your legs and trying to squat to pee.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

Losing a pound a day?

[quote]onewall wrote:
Losing a pound a day? [/quote]

WTF? where did this come from?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
onewall wrote:
Losing a pound a day?

WTF? where did this come from?[/quote]

I was pondering that very thing

[quote]Nguyenm wrote:
Why can’t I just avoid fat if its what im trying to burn and utilize energy from carbs and burn my existing fat?

Thanks,
Mike[/quote]

So, you think eating fat will make you fat? Please tell me you don’t believe that.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
onewall wrote:
Losing a pound a day?

WTF? where did this come from?

I was pondering that very thing[/quote]

It was in the original post.

And dude…that’s seriously unhealthy.

Eat plenty of dietary fat, eat plenty of protein, eat plenty of carbs.

If you’re trying to lose weight just make sure your base metabolic rate and energy expended during the day is higher than energy (calories) taken in.