Too much Protein?

This is a new guy question, Is there such a thing as too much protein? Either before or after a workout? And what about carbs? I’m trying to get bigger and was wondering if there is a sure-fire ratio. I was worried about my insulin level and what % of the carb/protein goes to the muscle. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Unless you’re on one of the T-Mag diets that specifies otherwise, I’d stay at around a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. And a ratio of around 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat for regular eating seems to work pretty well for me. Also, you can do a search of previous articles by John Berardi, but I think he said studies have shown that a high glycemic carb/protein drink consumed immediately before a workout shuttles nutrients into your muscles more quickly and efficiently than consuming one directly after your workout. To cover all bases, the common concensus seems to be to drink one third just before your workout, one third during, and one third after.

Hey glad to have new people around! You need to look up your question on this web site, becaue there is a ton of info on it. I would say just make sure you get 1.5-2 grams of protien per pound of lean body tissue. Make sure you drink alot of water as well. Some people think that WAY too much protien can cause kidney stones, but I have never seen it. To help prevent this drink more water with your protein increase. Good Luck

If you’re talking post-workout shake, I’ve had the best results (for building muscle) by getting a lot more than people normally recommend. I’ve found that 1g / kg CHO and 0.5g / kg PRO in my post-workout shake (well, for me it’s a meal) worked wonders.