TOO MUCH Protein?

Bad? Studies? Idiot? Sooooooo, weed is GOOD for you! Great! I will start ingesting smoke into my lungs now. Or maybe take THC into my body via cookies.

Try this: Cannabis (Marijuana) DrugFacts | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

A quote: “As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time.”

References at the bottom. This is just basic info, nothing technical so you should be abel to read most of it, though it might take a couple of tries. Form personal experience I know of no weed user who’s intellect and health has improved by ingesting THC. Same with tobacco and same with excessive alcohol intake. In fact, the reverse.

The point I am trying to make here is that the biased “weed lobby” would have us think that THC ingesting is “no worse than” alcohol or tobacco. Well, if that aint reason enough not to use it then go for it. It’s a “free country”. Just don’t dumb it down by making baseless, dangerous and plain stupid comments.

thanks for hijacking my thread…anyhow, marijuana is “better” than alcohol and/or tobacco, i dont believe that is a question. No brain damage, little lung damage when using water apparatuses, and “high” people are far less a danger than drunk people. NO, it’s not good for you, but of the recreational drugs, probably the least harmful. although, staying thin, in shape, on top if your shit is more difficult. Although it is difficult, i know many functional “pot heads” who succeed in life, such as my Physics major roommate. one of the “dont knock it till you try it” sort of things. Obviously, i couldnt handle it, but some can.

There is an issue with consuming too much protein to the point that your body begins to use it for energy preferentially over fat and carbs. This is a problem when trying to improve body composition.

Carbs are protein sparing. Eat them. It’s a big reason why carb cycling works so well and why keto diets work far better for guys using AAS.

lol @ reefer madness shark boy.

edited

bonez217

nice reference to reefer madness!
that movie was truly insane and a hoot to watch!

[quote]bartonmlee wrote:
triceptaurus,

dont be an idiot, weed in comparison to the drugs you listed is by far the safest drug you can take, there is
proof of this. it sound like you are completely unaware what weed can do from a medical standpoint, and that
the pharmecuetical companies can not compete with weed in terms of safety. show me the evidence that it’s bad
and i mean current double blind studdies that show it’s bad,then get back to me [/quote]

Studies show that weed use causes problems with capitalization and spelling as well as forming coherent sentences.

[quote]Widgeteye wrote:

[quote]bartonmlee wrote:
triceptaurus,

dont be an idiot, weed in comparison to the drugs you listed is by far the safest drug you can take, there is
proof of this. it sound like you are completely unaware what weed can do from a medical standpoint, and that
the pharmecuetical companies can not compete with weed in terms of safety. show me the evidence that it’s bad
and i mean current double blind studdies that show it’s bad,then get back to me [/quote]

Studies show that weed use causes problems with capitalization and spelling as well as forming coherent sentences.

[/quote]

You missed a comma in there, square.

Actually you’re wrong.

[quote]Widgeteye wrote:
Actually you’re wrong.[/quote]

And your attempts at humor fail. Call it a wash?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
There is an issue with consuming too much protein to the point that your body begins to use it for energy preferentially over fat and carbs. This is a problem when trying to improve body composition.

Carbs are protein sparing. Eat them.
edited[/quote]

Could you expand on this a little? I don’t use AAS so I cut that last part out, but what you said above is something that is of particular interest to me and my current body comp.

Thanks in advance BZ

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

edited[/quote]

Could you expand on this a little? I don’t use AAS so I cut that last part out, but what you said above is something that is of particular interest to me and my current body comp.

Thanks in advance BZ[/quote]

I havent read up on this in a pretty long time. Details are too hazy to do any justice here. I do know that if too much protein is consumed compared to the other macros, the body will use amino acids for energy instead of tissue building. It is so much more complex than that though. Where the line should be draw on what is ‘too much’ compared to the other macros, I assume it’s different for different people.

Personally, Ive found that muscle growth is best when consuming as many carbs as possible. Not as many as you can shove in your mouth, possible meaning the most you can eat without turning into Oprah.

I think you can find good info by doing a site and google search on the protein sparing effects of carbs.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

edited[/quote]

I havent read up on this in a pretty long time. Details are too hazy to do any justice here. I do know that if too much protein is consumed compared to the other macros, the body will use amino acids for energy instead of tissue building. It is so much more complex than that though. Where the line should be draw on what is ‘too much’ compared to the other macros, I assume it’s different for different people.

Personally, Ive found that muscle growth is best when consuming as many carbs as possible. Not as many as you can shove in your mouth, possible meaning the most you can eat without turning into Oprah.

I think you can find good info by doing a site and google search on the protein sparing effects of carbs.

[/quote]
Good post, something I am interested in as well

[quote]eightohfive wrote:
Ya… i know what your saying, but i still think its hard, and eating healthy while high just isnt much fun. Plus i am an advocate that marijuana, atleast for myself, did give me somewhat of a hangover. I also felt “tight” and “tired”… whether it had to do with the food consumption, possibly. either way, It’s detrimental to my progress in just about every aspect of my life, therefore, dropped it! [/quote]
True. I respect that, your physique appears strong from your avatar if thats you…
I personally find it easier to eat at least one or two extra meals with lots of steak or meat in addition once my cb1 receptors are activated. Didnt mean to sidetrack the thread BTW

and by the same token so does cocaine, alcohol, narcotics(legal and illegal) meth wether in low doeses or

high doses, and what you suggested is nothing new. sorry for the hijack!

[quote]cscsDPT17 wrote:
Also in reference to number 1, thats why it is stated as turned into glucose OR fat. Not glucose and fat. Probably depends on if you’re deficient to a degree in glucose or not. And 2.0 g/kg of protein is still a pretty hefty amount regardless.[/quote]

It only turns it into glucose

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

edited[/quote]

George Farah, from what I hear, is a big advocate…the take-away message is that the more carbs you take in, the less protein you need to consume to meet your body’s needs.

Conversely, if you want to lower carbs for any reason then your protein intake needs to increase to compensate.

[quote]cscsDPT17 wrote:
I’ve been looking at this same thing. I’m studying for my CSCS and in PT school right now and as far as the standards go from the NSCA, 2.0 g/kg of bw is the top of what they recommend so for you that’d be around 170-180 g a day. If you consume more then you may just be wasting your money as it’s broken down into nitrogen and ketoacids and the nitrogen is pissed out and the rest will be converted to glucose (carb) or body fat.

Our PT professor (nutrition isn’t within his scope or the PT profession scope, we just get a basis on recommendations to make to patients) recommends much less around 83 g a day but that’s pretty much BS and I think a recommendation for non heavy resistance training individuals. That number is also influenced by environmentally conscious groups who don’t like the cost of energy needed to produce and ship protein sources.

The only other issue besides excess protein being converted to body fat is that the excess will put more stress on your kidneys which won’t bother you now but could come back into play depending on your family history of renal conditions.

Long story short, you could probably save some money and your kidneys by taking in a little less protein[/quote]

Markus Ruehl found some clear words regarding this: “I take in about 500 grams of protein a day. I don’t need some asshole scientist tagging along and telling me I can’t utilize that much. If I didn’t utilize it, I’d be sitting on the shitter 24/7. Hell, I think I might know a little bit about bodybuilding…” He recommended around 300 grams for a 220lbs trainee.

Now, of course he’s using a boatload of AAS but I tend to value in-the-trenches first-hand information from Pro’s more than research that may be flawed in many ways and may overlook some mechanisms in this highly complex machine we call our body…

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:

[quote]cscsDPT17 wrote:
I’ve been looking at this same thing. I’m studying for my CSCS and in PT school right now and as far as the standards go from the NSCA, 2.0 g/kg of bw is the top of what they recommend so for you that’d be around 170-180 g a day. If you consume more then you may just be wasting your money as it’s broken down into nitrogen and ketoacids and the nitrogen is pissed out and the rest will be converted to glucose (carb) or body fat.

Our PT professor (nutrition isn’t within his scope or the PT profession scope, we just get a basis on recommendations to make to patients) recommends much less around 83 g a day but that’s pretty much BS and I think a recommendation for non heavy resistance training individuals. That number is also influenced by environmentally conscious groups who don’t like the cost of energy needed to produce and ship protein sources.

The only other issue besides excess protein being converted to body fat is that the excess will put more stress on your kidneys which won’t bother you now but could come back into play depending on your family history of renal conditions.

Long story short, you could probably save some money and your kidneys by taking in a little less protein[/quote]

Markus Ruehl He recommended around 300 grams for a 220lbs trainee.

.[/quote]

On gear? Or natural.

Theres a very big difference.

Not that I think that 300g is a lot for a 220 pound natty. But someone on gear can always utilize more than a natty. As you said.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[/quote]

Read and learn boys!

Weed, mushrooms, DMT, LSD, and any other hallucinogens are not harmful at all to your body and mind(except if you are mentally unstable and predisposed to mental illnesses then it may push you over the edge). But my point being is that all of these drugs open your mind and allow you to think about things in new ways.

I agree that marijuana does limit brain function to a degree, but only while your on it and you return to normal when you are not high anymore. Research Bill Hicks, Joe Rogan, Terrence Mckenna and other drug advocates, some of the smartest people I’ve ever encountered.

A positive drug story:

[quote]tveddy wrote:
1 gluconeogenisis shuts down the pathways for lipogenesis. Ergo protein wont be converted to fat.
2 people who claim you dont need more protein when lifting probably wont ever bench over 315.
3 ask for sources of why you dont need more protein, then look it up and read it. Find the holes. Everyone knows protein helps you get bigger faster so the studies are flawed.
4 all studies showing kidney damage were in elderly and not healthy people. a lot already had kidney problems. [/quote]
^^^^^
This post made me join, I pretty much agree with all of it.
I’m on a bulk right now and do 2g per pound (around 350g-400g currently) kidneys feel great and my lifts/size just keep going up!