T Nation

Too Much Protein in One Sitting?

I know that old myth that you can only have forty or fifty grams of protein in one sitting, and the rest goes to waste, has been pretty heavily bashed on this site, and I put down fifty or sixty grams of protein in probably half my meals.

But what about much higher amounts of protein, say 120 grams? The way I’ve been eating the last few months, I always get five meals a day, occasionally six, but I find that I cook up my daily meat, 400-520 grams of chicken, turkey, or sometimes beef, and eat it in one sitting, along with vegetables, water, wheat bread, and two cups of milk. All told, that’s a minimum of a hundred grams of protein, about a third of what I eat daily, sometimes closer to half. Should I be only eating half the meat and throwing the rest in the fridge for later, or is this not a big deal?

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
I know that old myth that you can only have forty or fifty grams of protein in one sitting, and the rest goes to waste, has been pretty heavily bashed on this site, and I put down fifty or sixty grams of protein in probably half my meals.

But what about much higher amounts of protein, say 120 grams? The way I’ve been eating the last few months, I always get five meals a day, occasionally six, but I find that I cook up my daily meat, 400-520 grams of chicken, turkey, or sometimes beef, and eat it in one sitting, along with vegetables, water, wheat bread, and two cups of milk. All told, that’s a minimum of a hundred grams of protein, about a third of what I eat daily, sometimes closer to half. Should I be only eating half the meat and throwing the rest in the fridge for later, or is this not a big deal?[/quote]

In general, eating a massive amount of protein within an hour or two post-workout is probably not just okay, but a good idea for most trainees. Since your body is in a potentially anabolic mode, provided the proper nutrients are there and depending on LBM, I would bet that 80-100 grams of protein are being utilized for mostly muscle building purposes or at least serve as extra calories which are needed for muscle gains anyway. However, if this meal is not consumed within this window, you may indeed be consuming excess protein.

Having said that, it’s best to keep the body in a constant state of positive nitrogen balance. This means that 5 meals of 60 grams is generally better than 2 meals of 150.

For specific help, post a detailed typical day, as far as meal type, timing, and when you train. As well as if you have been gaining, losing, or maintaining your weight/LBM since you started eating this way.

TopSirloin

There is another element that might be overlooked.

If you had all that protein in your blood stream at one time that could get your liver to act. The liver would start turning excess protein (however it determines what excess is) to glucose.

Because you are eating food that requires digestion the protein enters the blood stream more slowly. Postworkout demands for protein are high. These two aspects could mean you could handle eating a large amount of protein before the liver starts to act.

Surge does not require much time to get to the blood stream. 120 grams of Surge at one time may result in a waste unless you have 500 lb of LBM.