T Nation

Too Much Omega-3 Compared to Omega-6?

Just thinking, normally people get too much omega-6 compared to omega-3 (like 15:1 ratio), which is unhealthy, and it’s said that the ratio should be something like 1:1. But is it bad for your health if you get too many omega-3 compared to omega-6? Like 1:5?

I would think yes, theoretically you could overdo it.

If I remember correctly, David Barr mentioned in the past he overdid the omega-3s, and screwed up his fatty acid balance.

Maybe he’ll chime in here.

Like to know how someone is limiting their fat intake so much that they can overdo O3:O6

LOL. Yeah, I’d also like to meet that person.

(I do think Udo actually had that happen to him.)

You’d have to basically get all your fats from fish/fish oil. As long as you’re eating fat from other sources this will never happen.

Well, I’m starting diet which consists protein shakes and flax seeds, and the flax seeds have O3:O6 ratio of 24:1. So I probably should take some (=a lot) olive oil to compensate that, it’s ratio is 1:20. I just hate olive oil, but I guess I have to learn to like it. :smiley:

I read in an article somewhere here that the guy who wrote ‘Fats that heal, fats that kill’, ended up with his ratio so far to the omega 3 side that he experienced problems of some kind.

To the OP, if you’re still eating meat and nuts and things like that, I doubt your ratio is going to get out of control. You would have to eat a LOT of flax seeds to change the ratio that substantially.

[quote]Jouni wrote:
Well, I’m starting diet which consists protein shakes and flax seeds, and the flax seeds have O3:O6 ratio of 24:1. So I probably should take some (=a lot) olive oil to compensate that, it’s ratio is 1:20. I just hate olive oil, but I guess I have to learn to like it. :D[/quote]

the omega 3 in flax seed is ALA which has a poor conversion to the EPA and DHA you need

so actually the flax seed will have a omega 6:3 ratio like 2:1 or more

I honestly at this point, believe it is near impossible to over-dose Omega 3’s.

The ratio of Omega 3’s you would have to ingest in comparison to Omega 6’s for this to happen is unlikely.

The examples can generally be seen in the articles here in T-Nation submitted by the coaches periodically on their beliefs that a very high intake of Omega 3’s is actually, beneficial.

Also, keep in mind that there are people living in the Artic areas of the world, that literally eat pounds of fish everyday, in which sparked the beginnings of the many studies of their cultures, leading into to their longevity, and robust overall health.

However, I will say I remain skeptical in my answer if you’re taking the ‘Flameout’ product on this website. Seeing as in comparison to other Fish Oil/Omega 3 supplements it has 2200 milligrams of DHA, which regular Fish Oil/Omega 3 supplements usually carry about 200-300 milligrams per cap.

The imbalance within the product arouses my curiosity in ingesting mass quantities.

[quote]Jouni wrote:
Well, I’m starting diet which consists protein shakes and flax seeds, and the flax seeds have O3:O6 ratio of 24:1. So I probably should take some (=a lot) olive oil to compensate that, it’s ratio is 1:20. I just hate olive oil, but I guess I have to learn to like it. :D[/quote]

You need to take into account the AMOUNTS not just the ratios. The amount of omega3 in flax is not the same amount as omega6 in olive oil.

[quote]Oquendog wrote:
I honestly at this point, believe it is near impossible to over-dose Omega 3’s.

The ratio of Omega 3’s you would have to ingest in comparison to Omega 6’s for this to happen is unlikely.

The examples can generally be seen in the articles here in T-Nation submitted by the coaches periodically on their beliefs that a very high intake of Omega 3’s is actually, beneficial.

Also, keep in mind that there are people living in the Artic areas of the world, that literally eat pounds of fish everyday, in which sparked the beginnings of the many studies of their cultures, leading into to their longevity, and robust overall health.

However, I will say I remain skeptical in my answer if you’re taking the ‘Flameout’ product on this website. Seeing as in comparison to other Fish Oil/Omega 3 supplements it has 2200 milligrams of DHA, which regular Fish Oil/Omega 3 supplements usually carry about 200-300 milligrams per cap.

The imbalance within the product arouses my curiosity in ingesting mass quantities.[/quote]

the 2200 mg is for a 4 pill serving which means 550 mg DHA per pill

the EPA + DHA total per Flameout pill is about 770 mg which isn’t that much higher than your regular “extra strength” fish oil pills at a combined 600 mg

[quote] the 2200 mg is for a 4 pill serving which means 550 mg DHA per pill

the EPA + DHA total per Flameout pill is about 770 mg which isn’t that much higher than your regular “extra strength” fish oil pills at a combined 600 mg
[/quote]

Ah, thank you I noticed I didn’t put the ‘per pill’ analysis to the Flameout either; I guess it’s a habit seeing as I take mine in 4-5 cap ‘servings’. None the less, 550 DHA in comparison to the typical 200-300 in regular Fish Oil gives me the question mark. Don’t really know what to make of it.

Then again, using common sense; mega-dosing Fish Oil, is mega-dosing Fish Oil, heh.