Too Much of a Deficit?

We all underestimate how uncomfortable the calories need to get to really lose fat, man. Maybe you don’t want to be as lean as you think you do? There’s nothing wrong with that if that’s the case, but getting truly lean sucks

I don’t think it’s necessarily trolling. Those digital scales are VERY inaccurate.

One told me that I was 6% BF :laughing: I was much closer to 20

Yeah I don’t suspect trolling either, just naïve.

@Ryan2000 This is the best advice you could possibly hope for. Please just go do it now.

1 Like

Yea because everyone who needs some advice are trolls dumbass

For sure I’ll update you

Um I said you’re not trolling. You sound like a peach though!

1 Like

Can you measure %body fat everyday?

What body fat measurement device/method do you use?

Do the body fat measurement three times in a row. How much variation is there within the measuring device/method?

If you use an impedance measuring device your degree of hydration will yield highly different readings. First thing upon waking will be a method to assure very similar degrees of hydration.
(BTW the impedance test will yield lower % body fat when your feet are wet.)

With a lot of data you can analyze whether your change in % body fat is just “noise” or an actual “signal”, real fat loss. A Control Chart offers a graphic display. I can generate one for you if you supply the data.

1 Like

Even a guru like Chris Aceto admits that sometimes he has to starve guys down into contest shape. Maybe you need to go lower.

I’m in a slight surplus eating just north of 2000 calories a day. I cut with 1500. I’m 6’0” close to 180 currently. You’ll learn what’s a deficit and what’s a surplus for you over time as you get more experienced, those online calculators are not very accurate in my own experience. The longer you do this, the less you really have to think about your food or calories and you’ll be able to make adjustments to portion sizes and number of meals based off how your body is looking and what the scale says. My point being here, don’t worry about online calculators, just adjust your calories according to your results in the mirror and on the scale because your own needs are going to vary.

Man i’m cutting at 2000 calories(low carb) and it sucks!!! I’m starting to stall but there’s no way I can go lower and maintain the training load. Was contemplating either carb cycling or a couple refed days to get the fire going again.

I eat a little extra on training days (pretty much whatever I want) so it is kind of a carb cycling approach, but I don’t strictly measure anything. Thankfully my appetite isn’t the biggest, definitely bigger on training days though. I think that balance of higher calories and lower calorie days is good for me. I would say, play it by ear.

@Ryan2000 almost 2 weeks. how is it going?

Yeah i’m thinking maybe plug in some more carbs on the days I see my trainer as they are much harder. I train 6 on and 1 off so the other three days i’ll stick to the 2000 low carb and see how it works for a few weeks.

1 Like

Good call! Very easy to self regulate with that because you can always back off on some of your meals if you aren’t losing weight like you’d like

It hasnt budged. In fact it went up a few pounds. At this point it’s really starting to get to me. I suspect it was because I broke my metabolism when I cut down to such a low body fat. I’m actually going to try something however. I go for around 3 weeks (in about a couple days) for army annual training for the national guard. I’m only going to pack tuna/pink salmon packets, protein powder and maybe canned beans/veggies. I know it seems out of the blue but at this point I WANT IT BAD. I want to get rid of this weight BAD. I’ll update yall either during the 3 weeks or after

1 Like

we didn’t need it to budge, we needed solid data.

post each days mfp entry along with your weight that morning for the last 13 days

1 Like

What do you do for this period? I am picturing you potentially putting yourself and your unit in a bad spot if your diet is insufficient for your activity

Aside from tuna, protien powder, and canned veggies for 24 ish days not being the best idea of a healthy way to lose a few extra pounds at your age and weight, doing this during a training cycle for the army does not seem like a good idea.

I am not going to assume what your MOS is, but what I will assume is that your unit during this prolonged training period will pick up their OP tempo. Meaning longer times at ranges, longer rucks, mock operations, etc… This meanings you will already be using up more calories than you are typically used to based on your posts. Going to far into a deficit is challenging for the pro’s on this site who do this stuff at elite levels, so you doing this during an extreme change in your output seems potentially dangerous. As someone who has been in the Army and done long stents in the field and deployed, at full OP tempo you should be able to eat everything you mentioned above and then some (possibly a lot more depending on your MOS) and still be in a good place to loss weight.

When you do get back from this training, I would suggest rereading what others have said and asked you above. Everyone here will help you if you listen. Just remember, sustainable weight loss is the long game not the over night one. Stay safe and thanks for your service.