T Nation

Too Much Milk=Lactose Intolerance?

About 6mo ago I started drinking 4 cups of whole milk a day, and it ended up putting me in the bathroom 4-5x a day with nasty shits.

I switched to Lactaid; and the problem was solved.

I’m 25yr old…so you CAN become intolerant; but it all depends on the person. I went about 3yrs w/o drinking milk before that.

I say if you WANT to drink a gallon a day that you slowly add it into your diet to let your body adjust.

I became intolerant on SS, I was 24 years old. Took about a month but I started getting the shits and they only got worse.

It’s been about a year and I’m starting to be able to drink milk again.

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but PWO?

Caesein protein in milk…? Awesome, I didn’t even knoe that!

I also suspect having such severe reactions such as CT did could be largley gentetic as well[/quote]

Milk is 80% casein and 20% whey.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Milk helped me put on weight, i.e - fat around my stomach.

I cut it out of my diet, fat around my stomach has started to go away and my weight is going up.

Makes me feel sluggish and shit too. Milk is overrated.[/quote]

As you stated, this is how it makes you feel. Milk has never made me feel sluggish and has never upset my stomach. I am not sure how I rate milk. :wink:

Christopher

[quote]B rocK wrote:

I say if you WANT to drink a gallon a day that you slowly add it into your diet to let your body adjust.[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking about starting at the 2-litre a day mark and gradually increasing up to a gallon…
I’ve drank a lot of milk all through my life so after reading all this I’m doubtful I’ll suddenly develop any crazy intolerance to it

The first day of starting strength, I downed my first gallon. 4 months later, I was still drinking a gal a day and never had any nasty shits other than the usual random upset stomach. If you don’t want to drink a whole gallon/ day, fine. Just realise that you’re missing out unless you are getting your protein and calories from somewhere else.

Milk is where it’s at.

1 gallon of milk =? over 100g protein? True?

[quote]elano wrote:
The first day of starting strength, I downed my first gallon. 4 months later, I was still drinking a gal a day and never had any nasty shits other than the usual random upset stomach. If you don’t want to drink a whole gallon/ day, fine. Just realise that you’re missing out unless you are getting your protein and calories from somewhere else.

Milk is where it’s at.[/quote]

That’s pretty sweet

Was that whole fat, and how did your weight and body composition change?

[quote]matko5 wrote:
1 gallon of milk =? over 100g protein? True?[/quote]

The whole milk I have has 16 cups per gallon (duh) and that is about 128g of protein.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
You can develop an adult allergy to milk, it’s not uncommon.[/quote]

No you can’t. This is a silly myth perpetuated by people who don’t know how allergies work.

There is no such thing as “adult onset allergies”.

You can keep allergies you’ve had when young and you can grow out of them, but there is no “developing them”.

You can develop a food sensitivity/intolerance later in life (at any age really). The cause is really unknown, some have hypothesized over exposure, but there is no data on the matter.

But a food intolerance is not the same as an allergy–it has no histamine response. Try downing 10 benadryl after having a response to lactose and see what it does.

[quote]Fiction wrote:
Try downing 10 benadryl after having a response to lactose and see what it does.[/quote]

You’ll wake up four hours later with messed pants.

I would be careful with too much milk, due to the cheap Vitamin D and calcium that they add. It may be a cause of brain lesions. Google Dr. Payne and brain lesions for more info.
I have just ordered some vitamin K2, which I think will prevent the lesions and arterial calcification problems.

I have also started drinking goat milk and yogurt for more than half my weekly dairy intake. They don’t add any Vitamin D or calcium to it, and supposedly, the protein digests much faster.

[quote]Happy Gringo wrote:
I would be careful with too much milk, due to the cheap Vitamin D and calcium that they add. It may be a cause of brain lesions. Google Dr. Payne and brain lesions for more info.

I have just ordered some vitamin K2, which I think will prevent the lesions and arterial calcification problems.

I have also started drinking goat milk and yogurt for more than half my weekly dairy intake. They don’t add any Vitamin D or calcium to it, and supposedly, the protein digests much faster.[/quote]

Milk causes brain lesions now?

Yeah bro, the carbs from milk aren’t clean. They are sugar.

This quote from Brolan Aragon sums up my stance:

Everyone knows that in order for a carb to be kleen, it must be pure in heart, mind, body, and spirit. If it contains HFCS, you could die instantly, and everyone knows death is catabolic. If you wanna do it right, everyone knows dextrose is great, but waxy maize is even better because it goes straight to the muscles without hesitation.

Even worse, it’s estrogenic too. Too much milk= man boobs and die of the dairy AIDS.

YW Brocomte.

Milk is where it is at. I’m currently 23. I’ve always drank whole milk (there was a period from 20-22 where I was on a lowfat thing… ha!) I’ve on average been drinking 1.5-2L a day since my teens. Since starting to work out in the past year, I’ve been working up to 1gal.

Being lactose intolorant is due to a lack of the enzyme in the small intestine that breaks down the milk sugars. I figure that when you start to cut back on milk, your body cuts back on that enzyme.

so if you suddenly introduce large amounts of milk, your body can’t digest it, and you get sick.

work your way up to 1 gallon a day.

4L of the white stuff is an easy 2560 cals a day! 128g fat, 192g carb, 128g fat. (I drink 3.14%, I don’t know if that is “whole” or not. but meh)

have half your calories come from solid food, and the other half come from milk. problem solved for the bulking!

why drink water at 0 calories, when I can up my daily caloric total another 160cals with a nice cool glass of milk?