T Nation

Too Much Milk Bad for You?

I have a bunch of friends that tell me it’s not healthy to be drinking a gallon of chocolate milk a day, and not because it’s chocolate. I don’t see any reason it would be bad, anyone want to clarify the situation?

And does it hurt to get a large amount of my daily calories from milk? like 2600 out of 3600 daily?

IMO milk goes right through you so 2600-3600 calories a day from milk? meh… Eat more solid foods…I do beleive however chocolate milk would only be more beneficial than regular whole milk post workout, it offers more carbs and a sufficient amount of protein. An old swim coach of mine swears by chocolate milk post workout.

How much do you way?
How often do you work out?
What is your goal?

Do a search here on the site about Milk and whether its good or bad. Many threads like this are often created and like most things its an individualistic answer. If your not at all lactose intolerant or have any type of allergies to dairy and you enjoy drinking milk… then drink milk. If it fits into your dietary goals/macros then keep drinking it. Now, getting 72% of you calories a day from it is silly. Why? You can’t find more than a 1,000 calories of solid foods to eat? Having that much of something a day can lead to possible allergies or intolerances as well as possible deficiencies in nutrients from foods your not eating. Switch things up and consume some other calories as well.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
I have a bunch of friends that tell me it’s not healthy to be drinking a gallon of chocolate milk a day, and not because it’s chocolate. I don’t see any reason it would be bad, anyone want to clarify the situation?

And does it hurt to get a large amount of my daily calories from milk? like 2600 out of 3600 daily?[/quote]

I used to drink an average of a gallon of milk a day (Not chocolate) and I think it’s fine, IF you’re looking to gain weight.

I wouldn’t use it in place of real food, though.

bah you can never have too much milk!

Wow, do you realize there is more than a pound of sugar in a gallon of chocolate milk?

Have fun with diabetes…

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:

And does it hurt to get a large amount of my daily calories from milk? like 2600 out of 3600 daily?[/quote]

Yes. It means you are getting 1000 calories from food.

If I had a dollar for every “milk is good/bad” thread in the past year, I’d be able to retire at 30.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
I wouldn’t use it in place of real food, though.[/quote]

I agree that milk is fine, but how is it not “real food.” It ain’t solid, but milk is as real as any other food. I’ve heard people attempt to say protein powder is not real food (lame argument, it’s fucking aminos are the same as any others) but not often is it argued against milk. Kind of like how some weird bastards try to say fish isn’t meat.

I agree with some of the others here

1.) It goes right thru you; not enough time to digest it all properly.

2.) Whole foods are better

Some people also get very lactose intolerant by drinking a lot of milk. I’m one of them.

Too much milk is bad for me. Some days at most i might drink two glasses. Too much makes my shit not so solid. I don’t drink any at night at all because it upsets my stomach and i can’t fall asleep.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
1.) It goes right thru you; not enough time to digest it all properly.

2.) Whole foods are better

Some people also get very lactose intolerant by drinking a lot of milk. I’m one of them.[/quote]

  1. No. And who the hell told you this?

  2. No. And what are you basing this on?

Also, you don’t get lactose intolerant by drinking milk. You may have a deficiency in your ability to break down lactose and you may surpass your tolerance by consuming more than you can break down, but this is not increasing your level of intolerance. You are simply exceeding the amount that your body can break down.

[quote]BlackSabbath wrote:
B rocK wrote:
1.) It goes right thru you; not enough time to digest it all properly.

2.) Whole foods are better

Some people also get very lactose intolerant by drinking a lot of milk. I’m one of them.

  1. No. And who the hell told you this?

  2. No. And what are you basing this on?

Also, you don’t get lactose intolerant by drinking milk. You may have a deficiency in your ability to break down lactose and you may surpass your tolerance by consuming more than you can break down, but this is not increasing your level of intolerance. You are simply exceeding the amount that your body can break down.[/quote]

Agreed. If anything, NOT drinking milk could lead to lactose intolerance.

I am glad I spent a couple of years drinking a shit ton of milk. It helped.

In fact, just take a look at the people who lift seriously and who also spent some quality time doing the same (along with making sure they eat enough). That should end the discussion.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
BlackSabbath wrote:
B rocK wrote:
1.) It goes right thru you; not enough time to digest it all properly.

2.) Whole foods are better

Some people also get very lactose intolerant by drinking a lot of milk. I’m one of them.

  1. No. And who the hell told you this?

  2. No. And what are you basing this on?

Also, you don’t get lactose intolerant by drinking milk. You may have a deficiency in your ability to break down lactose and you may surpass your tolerance by consuming more than you can break down, but this is not increasing your level of intolerance. You are simply exceeding the amount that your body can break down.

Agreed. If anything, NOT drinking milk could lead to lactose intolerance.

I am glad I spent a couple of years drinking a shit ton of milk. It helped.

In fact, just take a look at the people who lift seriously and who also spent some quality time doing the same (along with making sure they eat enough). That should end the discussion.[/quote]

X, I drank a ton of milk a few summers ago with the same attempt, but usually got diarrhea after drinking it. I haven’t drank it since unless it’s in an occasional boal of cereal. Would you suggest slowly introducing it back? Should the body adapt to something if it is introduced slowly? I can’t help but be envious of those that can drink a ton of milk without getting stomach problems, it’s such an easy/cheap way to get calories.

And you say “spent a couple years” drinking it. Any reason why you stopped?

Thanks.

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:
Professor X wrote:
BlackSabbath wrote:
B rocK wrote:
1.) It goes right thru you; not enough time to digest it all properly.

2.) Whole foods are better

Some people also get very lactose intolerant by drinking a lot of milk. I’m one of them.

  1. No. And who the hell told you this?

  2. No. And what are you basing this on?

Also, you don’t get lactose intolerant by drinking milk. You may have a deficiency in your ability to break down lactose and you may surpass your tolerance by consuming more than you can break down, but this is not increasing your level of intolerance. You are simply exceeding the amount that your body can break down.

Agreed. If anything, NOT drinking milk could lead to lactose intolerance.

I am glad I spent a couple of years drinking a shit ton of milk. It helped.

In fact, just take a look at the people who lift seriously and who also spent some quality time doing the same (along with making sure they eat enough). That should end the discussion.

X, I drank a ton of milk a few summers ago with the same attempt, but usually got diarrhea after drinking it. I haven’t drank it since unless it’s in an occasional boal of cereal. Would you suggest slowly introducing it back? Should the body adapt to something if it is introduced slowly? I can’t help but be envious of those that can drink a ton of milk without getting stomach problems, it’s such an easy/cheap way to get calories.

And you say “spent a couple years” drinking it. Any reason why you stopped?

Thanks.[/quote]

I am lactose intolerant. If you got diarrhea from drinking milk, then you are as well. I drink lactose free milk occasionally now. I don’t drink it frequently now because I don’t need to. I was a broke college student and milk was cheaper (free if I got it from the cafeteria).

When in college, I couldn’t even afford the lactose free stuff so I drank regular milk and just dealt with the discomfort afterwards. Again, I probably wanted to make progress more than most people so I don’t expect others to do the same.

If you are asking what YOU should do, you should get lactose free milk or lactase enzyme tablets before you drink it.

Milk is fine if you’re not lactose intolerant. Chocolate milk is not fine. Some here say that he only gets 1000 calories from solid food. How the hell would you know. Maybe he’s a 6000 kcal a day guy. In which case there would be plenty of food along with the milk.
That liquid calories aren’t absorbed is just ridiculous. If you’re a hard gainer who struggles with consuming enough food, liquid calories are probably a necessity.

[quote]captaincalvert wrote:
Some here say that he only gets 1000 calories from solid food. How the hell would you know. Maybe he’s a 6000 kcal a day guy.[/quote]

He said in his first post that he gets 2,600 cals out of 3,600 cals daily from milk.

Oooops. Sorry. Then I would say more food, less milk. A good diet should have lots of variation.

I am also personally a bit concerned about my own whole milk consumption, which is about half a gallon a day. I am approaching middle age and worry about over consuming saturated fats. If I was in my teens or twenties I’d probably just poor it on down though, but I sure as hell wouldn’t mix it with sugar.

Chocolate milk has too much sugar to be “healthy”. Also, chocolate drink isn’t even milk.

Professor X says drink milk. Discussion over.

I’m just drinking it for the calories and protein. I calculated out with school lunch and dinner, and i ate 4700 cals yesterday, 2600 of it from milk. so calorie intake was almost half and half. I don’t drink soda pop, or eat a lot of sweets, so i don’t think i’m at risk of becoming a diabetic. After all, I’m 5’11 160lbs, pretty much desperate to gain weight.