Too Much Kangaroo

Wow the kangaroo, yet another animal I have to add on my ‘to eat’ list…

Saw it tonight JB - you see the chick who caught it was wearing a snipers nest? we dont fuck around down here!

The funnest one to eat are the ones being wiped out beacuse of all the stupid ozzie’s. kangaroo
is not included.

If only Steve Iwrin was alive he’d know what to eat, lol.

[quote]theBigEnglishman wrote:
The funnest one to eat are the ones being wiped out beacuse of all the stupid ozzie’s. kangaroo
is not included.[/quote]

eh!? Roos are a pest mate, we cull millions a year. And more & more getting peeled off roads & thrown into the back of utes to be BBQd as they driven closer to suburbs in search of food & water.

Roo’s are tough SOBs & can fight, its not uncommon for them to stand on their tail & go toe-to-toe with humans (or each other) but they just arent competition for Mack trucks. They will write-off a smaller car though.

Ive seen many bounce off a roo into a tree or flip onto the lid. I got pushed into oncoming traffic one night when i hit one & 3 young boys where im from were killed in the wet one night when they hit a roo at 100km/h & smashed into some trees. Dad survived his 3 young boys were all killed.

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Hear the news story today about the kangaroo that escaped from its wildlife sanctuary and went on a suburban rampage! It was jumping people’s fences, going through their backyards, and going apeshit.
[/quote]

This is quite common these days. Not so much for Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and the major cities but places like Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo are reporting at least 1 Kangaroo in the city centres daily. They are coming into the cities to get water seeing there is nothing out in the bush.

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Are the kangaroo farm raised or wild?

If they are not corn fed farm raised they may be high in omega 3?

I’m pretty sure they are wild ones that have been culled by farmers and hunters to prevent overpopulation. Can’t let all that meat go to waste![/quote]

They are everywhere and the ones sold are just Roos that roam around free. I’ve never heard of a Roo farm and I know a few guys that cull them professionally and they just go out into the plains and pick them off. They make good money out of it.

I was in the Army when the over population problem was at Pucka. The Diggers were pretty annoyed the Defence Force paid guys to come in and cull the roos. We would have loved to head out with the Steyrs and have a go at some live targets. I’ve never seen so many Roos like they were at Pucka and Kapooka.

I see dozens of kangaroos daily running through our streets (Canberra). Everybody is just used to them being around now. They are usually quite friendly although at times can get a bit rough if they have a joey.

roos are fucking random though, you never know what they’ll do if theyre scared - run or attack. My dog was nearly killed by one - chased a roo to a dam and then the roo held her underwater. Shifty buggers.

[quote]JamFly wrote:
I had a conversation about this with one of the old timer’s at the gym Saturday morning. He was telling me he actually had to cut Roo meat from his diet because it was responsible for raising his blood iron levels to very high levels (around 3x normal I believe) however he did eat it most days for years. Since he has cut it out from his diet his tests have shown iron levels have dropped back to almost normal.
They say the Joey’s provide the most tender cuts, have not tried those myself…yet!

ps: He also told me it put 10" on his vertical :o)[/quote]

You can lower your iron by donating blood regularily.

You probably even should, because for the lack of blood sucking parasites in our intestines all of our iron levels are probably a tad too high.

talkin about roo meat, ive just got some in and was wondering if any one got any recipes for roo steaks and fillet?

[quote]MMG wrote:
talkin about roo meat, ive just got some in and was wondering if any one got any recipes for roo steaks and fillet?[/quote]

This should help; tons of recipes here:

http://www.kangaroo-industry.asn.au/recipes/recipe_frame.htm

http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=kangaroo

http://www.aussiegamemeats.com.au/roomeat.htm

perfect cheers!

Is there any way to get it in the U.S.?

Not sure mate but if they are getting it in England you should be half a chance. Ask you local butcher and he will either laugh at you or point you in the right direction!!

[quote]Corrosion wrote:
Is there any way to get it in the U.S.?[/quote]

just try the net! i typed in kangaroo meat into google and got a result straight away!

I just read in the news there was a shark attack on a roo in Torquay

that sounds like hella fun…and I never knew people ate kangaroos…gator meat is tasty down here in Florida…taste like tough chicken

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
We would have loved to head out with the Steyrs and have a go at some live targets. I’ve never seen so many Roos like they were at Pucka and Kapooka.

that sounds like hella fun…and I never knew people ate kangaroos…gator meat is tasty down here in Florida…taste like tough chicken
[/quote]

Gator meat is great, it’s kind of like calimari to me.

I usually eat around 2 kilos of kangaroo meat a week. Its cheap as hell and tastes great if you know how to cook it right. The only side effects ive noticed are increased muscle mass and decreased body fat.