Too Much Hard Work in the Gym

I was at the gym last night and after my training, I was talking to my friend that works there as a personal trainer. He is one of the few personal trainers that actually looks like he knows what he is talking about and is not afraid of hard, basic heavy work (Squats, Deadlifts, Barbell Rows etc.).

Anyway, he was telling me about his latest program for his next phase of training and he said “If I don’t do anything else, I will always have deadlifts in my plans.” which made me feel good to hear. We were standing near some of the “Bench and Biceps” boys. You know the type, huge upper bodies, but they have to wear long pants to cover up their lack of legs. Typical lightbulb build. Anyway, my friend made a comment to them that they should try some deadlifts in their rountines. In other words, he was starting shit again.

One of the crew turned to him and said, “I don’t do those, they’re too much work.”

WTF? I was dumbfounded that he would even say that. What made it worse is that his crew all nodded their heads in agreement.

My friend continued by saying “What about squats?”

He came back with “Those are too much work too. I don’t do those either.” Again, the rest of the crew nodded in agreement.

At this point, I said, “Basically, you don’t do any foundation work. That’s like having an oak door with aluminum foil hinges and paper clips for pins.” I laughed as they all scratched their heads trying to figure out the analogy. We both walked away after that to talk about his home gym he is designing.

I don’t understand this concept of not wanting to do hard work in the gym. When you go to the gym, isn’t it called “Working out”? Did they think that was just a saying and it doesn’t require work. What morons! Unfortunately, gyms across this country seem to be populated with them.

[quote]ALDurr wrote:
I was at the gym last night and after my training, I was talking to my friend that works there as a personal trainer. He is one of the few personal trainers that actually looks like he knows what he is talking about and is not afraid of hard, basic heavy work (Squats, Deadlifts, Barbell Rows etc.).

Anyway, he was telling me about his latest program for his next phase of training and he said “If I don’t do anything else, I will always have deadlifts in my plans.” which made me feel good to hear. We were standing near some of the “Bench and Biceps” boys. You know the type, huge upper bodies, but they have to wear long pants to cover up their lack of legs. Typical lightbulb build. Anyway, my friend made a comment to them that they should try some deadlifts in their rountines. In other words, he was starting shit again.

One of the crew turned to him and said, “I don’t do those, they’re too much work.”

WTF? I was dumbfounded that he would even say that. What made it worse is that his crew all nodded their heads in agreement.

He came back with “Those are too much work too. I don’t do those either.” Again, the rest of the crew nodded in agreement.

At this point, I said, “Basically, you don’t do any foundation work. That’s like having an oak door with aluminum foil hinges and paper clips for pins.” I laughed as they all scratched their heads trying to figure out the analogy. We both walked away after that to talk about his home gym he is designing.

I don’t understand this concept of not wanting to do hard work in the gym. When you go to the gym, isn’t it called “Working out”? Did they think that was just a saying and it doesn’t require work. What morons! Unfortunately, gyms across this country seem to be populated with them.[/quote]

I hear you, totally.

Basically, they’re pussies.

Why? Squats HURT. Deadlifts HURT. Heavy Rows HURT. It’s a different kind of pain, a sweat like a pig, so light headed you’re seeing stars, trying to shit a Hyundai through your asshole kind of effort. That scares people and serves to separate, IMHO, the men from the boys, the peckerwood “all show no go” posers from the real lifters.

The burn or pump you get from doing chest or bis pales in comparison, basically you get the sensation of pumping up without doing anywhere near the amount of work you would have to do otherwise.

Fuck’em - that’s why they all top out at 2 years of lifting and then they wonder why they don’t grow and jump on the roids.

Thank god for Ipods so I don’t even have to acknowledge retards of that ilk.

I’m hoping they are the exception and NOT the rule. Most people in the gym seem to know that they’re there to work. Hence the phrase, workout. At least that’s the way it is in my gym which is why I love it. :slight_smile:

I have found the folowing to be true more often than not.

1. Most people want something for nothing.
  2. Most people are not accountable.
  3. Most people blame others.
  4. Most people think everyone owes them something
  5. Most people at the gym don’t know what they are doing.
  6. Most people at the gym use poor form
  7. Most people at the gym overtrain
  8. Most people at the gym have good intentions.
  9. Most people at the gym are good people.
  10. Most people at the gym are just plaine misinformed.

Just my observation and personal opinion. I have long since stopped trying to volunteer info. The few times I have the combination of ego, embarassment and dumbass PTs have resulted in these people taking major offense. So while good for story telling these incidents aren’t usually worth the time or effort.

Having said that if someone asks for help I am there no problem.

This is why I work out at home!

Why do you guys care about what other people do in the gym?

I believe they care because they are informed. People that have more than what they need whether it be info, money, etc…generally have some conscience that says hey that guy isn’t doing as best as he can… I should help him out some.

The problem is that

a.) people don’t want to do what it takes
b.) have no clue
c.) are just lazy
d.) are happy to just say they workout.

For instance I know of dudes that come in to the gym, workout for 2 hrs doing bench, bi’s, and tri’s and then repeat the whole thing in 2 days. No rows, pull ups or pull downs etc. Their bodies never change and they often wonder why, I hear them talking about it all the time.

So me being a good person I should help them right? Say hey buddy you know if you did some xxxxxx excercises then you would target that weak posterior chain, upper back and start growing again.

Why should I volunteer my hard earned info if they aren’t even willing to use it? That is how I feel. Sure I’ll help if they ask, but not before. Let them fuck themselves up all they want.

[quote]Moriarty wrote:
Why do you guys care about what other people do in the gym?[/quote]

personally, I don’t. Just making an observation. I think it’s safe to say that most people don’t squat or deadlift. Especially deadlift. I’ve only seen 2 other people in my gym deadlift.

Most people that squat in my gym have horrible form, and most if not all don’t even come near parallel, not to mention ass to the grass.

The people that do barbell rows either use no weight at all or if they do they go too heavy and they are basically upright doing some weird combination shrug pull.

Like I said, personally I could give a fuck. I turn on my Ipod and am oblivious to the world around me. I’m just callin’ em like I see 'em.

Actually I’m glad most people don’t have a clue what they’re doing. It makes me look better!

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Actually I’m glad most people don’t have a clue what they’re doing. It makes me look better![/quote]

This is true, makes you feel like you’re in some kind of exclusive club.

I don’t really offer info to others either. It’s not that I want to be mean an keep T-Nation my little secret, it’s just that I have found that most people don’t want to hear what they are doing is wrong or that they could be doing something better/smarter. After all they doing what FLEX said to do in their “8 Weeks to Massive Guns” program. But like everyone else here if someone asks me a question or for some advice I am more than happy to help.

[quote]Moriarty wrote:
Why do you guys care about what other people do in the gym?[/quote]

It’s not that I really care. I was more perplexed than anything else. I have an iPod and crank it up just so I can ignore the fools.

[quote]OARSMAN wrote:
ALDurr wrote:

I don’t understand this concept of not wanting to do hard work in the gym. When you go to the gym, isn’t it called “Working out”? Did they think that was just a saying and it doesn’t require work. What morons! Unfortunately, gyms across this country seem to be populated with them.

I hear you, totally.

Basically, they’re pussies.

Why? Squats HURT. Deadlifts HURT. Heavy Rows HURT. It’s a different kind of pain, a sweat like a pig, so light headed you’re seeing stars, trying to shit a Hyundai through your asshole kind of effort. That scares people and serves to separate, IMHO, the men from the boys, the peckerwood “all show no go” posers from the real lifters.

The burn or pump you get from doing chest or bis pales in comparison, basically you get the sensation of pumping up without doing anywhere near the amount of work you would have to do otherwise.

Fuck’em - that’s why they all top out at 2 years of lifting and then they wonder why they don’t grow and jump on the roids.

Thank god for Ipods so I don’t even have to acknowledge retards of that ilk. [/quote]

Amen

Speaking of hard work…

I go to the gym after night shifts, often. I work 12 hr shifts, so packing up an evening’s worth of food, plus pre and PWO drink fixings, gym bag with clothes etc, is a bit of a production. You all know what I mean.

So last night shortly after I arrived at work, I realized I had forgotten my MP3 player. After obsessing over that for a bit, and discarding the idea of sneaking back home to get it, I resigned myself to the fact that I’d have to listen to the gym radio music.

I have to keep the workout a little short some mornings, because I have to be home for my wife to leave for work, and we have a 7 yr old son to deal with. I’m also nursing a slight neck injury, so I was just doing my 'pussy’ workout this morning, which is less weight, more reps, less sets.

Then, Shania Twain / ‘Man! I Feel Like A Woman!’ comes on.

Man, did I feel like a woman…

|/ 3Toes

Personally I’ve never had to “shit a Hyundai through my asshole” either squatting or DL’ing but trust me it felt like a compact car (a KIA, maybe?) at least a few times ROFL…

God I love the humor on this site.

But seriously, this earns a spot in the Squat rack curls thread started by CUAeroStallion…

“I don’t do those; too much work” WTF?
They have truly earned their lightbulb status.

[quote]The3toedSloth wrote:

|/ 3Toes

[/quote]

You’re lucky. I was in the middle of heavy deads a couple weeks back and the Bee Gees came on. I had to end the set halfway through. It felt like my testosterone just drained out of my balls into a pool at my feet. Since then I’ve ended sets early twice due to pussy music.
“It’s Raining Men” has no place in a gym.
Halleluyah for MP3 players!

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
The3toedSloth wrote:

|/ 3Toes

You’re lucky. I was in the middle of heavy deads a couple weeks back and the Bee Gees came on. I had to end the set halfway through. It felt like my testosterone just drained out of my balls into a pool at my feet. Since then I’ve ended sets early twice due to pussy music.
“It’s Raining Men” has no place in a gym.
Halleluyah for MP3 players![/quote]

That was just cruel and unusual punishment!