T Nation

Too Much Hamstring?

Hi, I'm 15 years old and I'm training to be stronger and more athletic for basketball.
How does my fullbody split look? I plan on doing this 2 times a week. I am a beginner and I have only lifted a few times in my life.

Benchpress- 3 sets of 10, 2 sets of 8
Dumbell Curls- 3 sets of 10, 2 sets of 8
Dips- 2 or 3 sets to failure
Rows- 3 sets of 10
Sqaut- 1 set of 12, 3 sets of 10, 1 set of 8
Deadlift- 2 sets of 12, 2 sets of 10
Lunges- 3 sets of 10
Calfraises- 3 sets of 15

Then I will do 3 sets of 15 on the wristroller. I will also do a workout on the Power Wheel 2 to work my core and do some situps.

Am I working my hamstring too much compared to my quads? I'm doing deadlifts, squats, and lunges. Am I working my hams too much compared to my quads? Again, my goal is to get faster and stronger and increase my vertical and overall be more athletic for basketball.

Thanks.

Is this during the offseason? If so then I would do something with a bit more volume. You could try WS4SB or Designer Athletes.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=487636

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

Also you said 3 sets of 15 on the wristroller, What do you mean by that? 15 up and downs will take you about 5 mins to complete and you would have to use a ridiculously small amount of weight. I do sets of 1 or 2.

Then you should start off your workout with a compound exercise like squats, instead of benches, curls, and dips.

Ditto.

Always start strong to be strong.

Start weak and you'll be... you guessed it- weak.

No, you don't have too much hamstring work.

However, you need to up the intensity and dial back the volume for strength and power gains. Think 10x3 or 5x5, avoid going to failure. Read Dan John
@ danjohn.org/coach.html

I would add some expolosive work like cleans and snatches, these can be done from the hang so as to avoid the complexity of the lifts. I like the dumbbell snatch in particular.

You can pretty much do away with the bench for most sports, but add some overhead work like military or push press.

HTH