Too Much Fruit?

I’ve read a few times on here warnings against eating too much fruit in one sitting? Why is this the case?

Also, I know everyone says fruit goes to replenish liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen, but does it really not replenish the muscles at all? If your liver is full why doesn’t it spill over into your muscles? If it doesn’t where does the extra go? Fat?

Well some ppl will get upset stomach from it. But thatd be about it.

\Yes it will refill your muscle glycogen. fruit is not just fructose. Yes the fructose has to go to the liver first and then can be used elsewhere. Yes it and any carb or macro when ingested in excess of what you burn or store in the muscle can be and will be stored in fat tissue

Phill

I’ve heard fruit intake should be only 2-3 servings a day.

I’ve also heard you should eat it with every meal.

So, in summary, idk.

Unless you’re on a ketogenic diet or diabetic, you can pretty much have as much fruit as you want (as long as you stay within your calorie range for the day).

Fruit does contain fructose which is a sugar, but it’s pretty slow acting and not something I’d really worry about. If you want to get all technical about it, look up the GI index for various fruits and pick the ones with lower scores.

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
I’ve read a few times on here warnings against eating too much fruit in one sitting? Why is this the case? [/quote]

Actually, eating too much of anything in one sitting is bad for you. Be it lean meat, nuts or carrots.

Fruits are very rich in sugar (fructose). So eating a dozen bananas a day is clearly not gonna help when trying to shed fat.

And by “everyone” you mean…? I never heard anyone that matters make such a claim. If you did, please give us a link.

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
Also, I know everyone says fruit goes to replenish liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen, but does it really not replenish the muscles at all? If your liver is full why doesn’t it spill over into your muscles? If it doesn’t where does the extra go? Fat?[/quote]

Fructose travels first to the liver, where it can be converted into glucose. Then, if liver glycogen stores are not full, it will go towards replenishing that. If liver glycogen is full, then it gets converted and stored as fat. Fructose never goes to the muscles - they are not able to convert it into glucose, which is the only sugar they can use (why the liver can’t ship any excess to the muscle instead of storing it as fat, I don’t know).

The reason why so many say not to eat fruit is because of this spillover potential - you don’t know how much glycogen is in your liver. However, if you are on a carb and calorie restricted state, your liver is not going to be full.

And BTW, fructose doesn’t stimulate insulin. While that is certainly a good thing while seeking to lose fat, it is a double-edged sword, because fructose also doesn’t suppress ghrelin.

I dunno. I feel stronger when I consume a couple of pears, or plums, or nectarines, etc per day. I think there’s a little more to it than what we’re seeing with the sugar thing.

Fructose may be a primary sugar in some fruits, but comparitively, fructose is a relatively small % of the total mass of the fruit. Alot depends on the type of fruit, of course. Bananas, or grapes are going to be higher than apples, or avacados, for example.

DJ