T Nation

Too Much for One Workout?

Just want any opinions as to whether or not I'm training with too high a volume here. I hit each bodypart 2x a week, so a similar workout will be repeated on Saturday. Yesterday was back, legs and biceps, I had bags full of energy, and felt like really pushing it so I did the following;

Wide-Grip Pulldown x 3, 10-12
Chest Supported Machine Row x 3, 8-10
Seated Cable Row x 3, 8-10
1-Arm Dumbbell Row x 2, 8-10
Deadlifts x 3, 6-8
Hack Squats x 3, 8-10
SUPERSETTED WITH
Leg Extensions x 3, 10-12
Assisted Chins x 3, 8-10
Alternating Dumbbell Curls x 2, 8-10

Workout took an hour, 60-90 seconds rest between sets. Totally fried by the end of it. Unfortunately, not a great deal of DOMS today- I know it has no indication of growth etc, but I thought I'd feel like death after having pushed myself... My goal is gaining muscle, stats 20 y.o. 5ft 11, 132lbs. I'm eating 5000 clean calories on days that I lift, and I lift 4x a week.

Any thoughts guys?

I'd say yes, probably much too much volume for a beginner. Odd exercise order, too.

I'd be hitting those deadlifts first up, then one type of row, one vertical pull and one exercise for bicep.
You say that you are eating 5000 calories on lifting days.. remember you build muscle on non lifting days too. Get at least 5000 a day, every day.

Deadlift- 3x6-8
Row (bb row, one arm, chest supported)- 3x6-8
Pull-ups, 3x6-8, add weight as needed.
Curl variation 3x 8-10

What does your other day look like? Is it chest, shoulders, tri?
I would suggest doing a similar number of exercises for those too.

OR

Look up a time tested, professionally written, generally liked program, on this site or where-ever. Always seems to work better than just trying to make up your own.

You are doing 3 types of rows. That seems to be a bit too much. I say that a wide grip seated row and DB rows are good. Also, deadlift first.
-deadlift
-db row
-wide grip row
-pulldowns
-hack squat
-leg extension
-chins
-curls

I don't think the volume is TOO much (but it's close) only because your eating so dam much. Try and eat that much on days off too. Your body needs to recover and all the food will help.

Go look WS4SB and use that template. Or some template. The guys who write them actually know programming. Keep hitting the iron watermelon. BTW, you still gaining 2 pounds a week?

Thanks for the advice there man, I'll try that out for a couple weeks and see how it goes. Your response raises a question for me though- you say that my volume is being counteracted by the amount of food I'm eating... Is essentially what you're saying that such a large, clean diet can counteract possible overtraining?

I've sorta lost track of my weight the past 2 weeks- I was sick for one of them and know I lost weight, and havn't had the opportunity to weigh myself again since, but still chugging the same amount of food. I'd like to know though, can your body adapt to the same intake of food over a period of time without weight-gain? As in, say I reached a certain plateau in my weight with a certain intake of calories, but then lost some weight (4/5lbs) through sickness; once the usual diet was resumed, would a plateau still be in effect, or would weight-gain continue?

weight gain will plateau if you get to the size where the former surplus of calories meets your BMR requirements. otherwise, eating a surplus will always gain weight, but the amount that is muscle or fat depends on the macros/workouts/etc.

What I mean by that is; people that eat such a large surplus are pretty quick to recover. But I might be wrong, do you know what your "maintenance" intake is? If you're only 200kcal over it then it's too much volume.

It wasn't until I got maybe 600cal over my maintenance that I saw I was recovering a bit better. (Mainly my legs)

You can recover faster because your body is given more fuel to feed the starving muscles/systems. I also feel a TON more sore and recover "less good" when I am cutting.