Too Much Fish Oil Possible?

Is it possible to take in too much fish oil a day?

It’s possible to have too much WATER, but IDK if you’re talking about OD doses.

I assume there is some sort of threshold where too much will hurt more than it will help, most likely depending on your macro goals. However, I cannot say X grams/day is too much, but X-1 grams will be fine. More than two full servings of Flameout is probably overkill.

It is possible to get too much of anything. In terms of safety, I don’t think there’s any dangerous side effects of taking in loads of fish oil, you’ll just reach a point of diminishing returns, which is different for individuals. Just make sure to get other sources of fats a as well.

Some folks work up to 45 grams a day, then back off to a reasonable amount. I take 12 grams a day. How far over the 45 grams are you???

Some of the authors/coaches have reported taking up to 40g a day, but I don’t know for what length of time.

LR

[quote]Taufiq wrote:
you’ll just reach a point of diminishing returns [/quote]

x2

Awesome tat, by the way.

Fish oil is a BLOOD THINNER.

So, it depends if you are on other meds or have a particular medical condition or are about to have surgery.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

So, it depends if you are on other meds or have a particular medical condition or are about to have surgery.[/quote]

X3

Yes, it is possible, you create oxidative stress if you don’t take some vitamin E with the fish oil. Try to take a E supp with mixed tocopherols and maybe some tocotrienols. I am taking Now Tru-E now because it was the only one available with both when I went to the health food store.

Jarrow makes one, and also Primordial Performance, I think.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
PonceDeLeon wrote:

So, it depends if you are on other meds or have a particular medical condition or are about to have surgery.

X3[/quote]

But if you are not on medication, then strive for a balance between omega 6 and 3 in the diet, as several sources of information suggest that human beings evolved on a diet with a 1:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 essential fatty acids, whereas in Western diets the ratio is 15/1â??16.7/1

Due to the fact that we evolved on a diet with a ration of close to 1:1, it would be highly unlikely that this diet would pose harm as our bodies have “grown accustomed” to having this balance.

Further if taking Omega 3 for a particular health concern "A ratio of 2â??3/1 suppressed inflammation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, and a ratio of 5/1 had a beneficial effect on patients with asthma, whereas a ratio of 10/1 had adverse consequences.

These studies indicate that the optimal ratio may vary with the disease under consideration."

From the article “Several sources of information suggest that human beings evolved on a diet with a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids” http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VKN-46RF1KR-4&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=c729c35ffeb09ce04e332f3290725463

So perhaps 40 grams per day of fish oil is very reasonable. That would equate to only 360 cals from fat, with the majority from omega 3s. If you’re taking in 3600 calories, and are balancing omega 3 and 6, then this amount of fish oil would constitute a fairly reasonable % of fat in the diet, from a macronutrient ratio perspective.

I take two 1000mg fish oil pills a day, as recommended on the box!

[quote]MMA101 wrote:
I take two 1000mg fish oil pills a day, as recommended on the box![/quote]

LOL, good work man.

How much EPA + DHA is there per pill?

LR

I take 10 triple strength and 10 normal…

Overall Im taking in 5,100mg EPA and 3,400mg of DHA.

Dont know how what the equilivant Flameout does would be…?

Scott

As per Dr. Cox instructions, I take a handful, throw them at my mouth, and whatever lands is the appropriate dosage. Too much is possible I’m sure and the medical/surgery part has already been mentioned, but if you ate fatty fish everyday, you’d be getting tons and the Eskimos seem to be doing ok.

…nice reference