Too Much Fiber?

I remember John Berardi stating in an AfC column that when dieting, he shot for 40-50g of fiber daily, but no more. He didn’t say why he limited himself to this much fiber, and I was wondering if anyone knew why.

The reason I ask is because in my quest for low GI, low II carbs I started mixing All Bran into my diet, and I know this sounds weird, but I actually really like the stuff. One of my favorite meals is Grow! mixed in a low volume of water as “milk” poured over All Bran and fruit. Anyway, the All Bran plus my usual fruit and veggie consumption is putting me up to at least 70g of fiber a day. No, I have not experienced any gastric distress with this. So, is there a problem?

I really have no idea, but it may have something to do with not putting fiber in protein-fat meals. There was a post in The Dog Pound on this a while back.

If you haven’t experienced any major problem, who cares? Fiber’s good for you anyways. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure exactly why Berardi recommended not going over 40-50 grams of fiber a day. What I do know is that when increasing fiber many people drastically increase the amount they consume over a short period of time and fail to up their water intake to match all of the fiber. Thus resulting in gastric problems.

As far as 70 grams/day being healthy, I can not really say. If you are tolerating it fine, then it does not seem to be a problem.
I am sure any med/nutritionist would blow a gasket at seeing a number like 70g/day but then again they don’t agree with a whole lot we T-People do.

I would recommend searching for more information and keeping in mind the old addage, everything in moderation.

Hope this helps some.

• Mark P.

How bout you send him an email and let us know what he says?

Joel

I don’t consume any fiber with my EFAs, so that’s not a worry. But no, I even consume up to 90g in a day with no noticeable problems; I take manly but normal poopies. If JB answers me, I’ll let you know.