T Nation

Too Much Fiber?

So aside from being able to crap a spruce tree on command… is there anything bad about getting more than the recommended daily allowance for fiber?

Hiya, here is a link to a recent thread that was done on fiber.

awesome. thanks.

Be sure to keep a good ‘library’ in your bathroom.

S

Well, I get 50-70g a day (I eat 4000-4500 cals) From OG’s link, it would seem that maybe the reason I have to eat so much - the fiber takes all of the good stuff outta me.

I’m close to that (3600 - 4300) and my fiber intake is at about the same but I really don’t think that that’s the reason why I have to eat so much. I’m not sure I buy the idea that the nutrients and stuff we eat “bind” with some fiber in small amounts. but then again I really don’t know much on the topic. I would assume it’s merely pushing everything that isn’t getting digested in time out.

[quote]GVkid wrote:
I’m close to that (3600 - 4300) and my fiber intake is at about the same but I really don’t think that that’s the reason why I have to eat so much. I’m not sure I buy the idea that the nutrients and stuff we eat “bind” with some fiber in small amounts. but then again I really don’t know much on the topic. I would assume it’s merely pushing everything that isn’t getting digested in time out.[/quote]

In most respects I would agree. Just do not take your fiber supplement with your nutrient supplements, especially if you are usiang psyllium husks. This can cause the nutrients in your stomach to be bound into the fiber supplement and excreted before it is digested.

keep fiber as a separate supplement

Sometimes I like to eat white bread just to shore things up a bit.

I actually don’t supplement my fiber at all. I stick to a LOT of veggies and flax seed for fiber and carbs. Not a ton of grains but when I do they are either whole grain or brown rice.

Also different fiber reacts differently in the body

If I eat an excess of soluble fiber, sometimes I get bloated

If I eat an excess of insoluble fiber, sometimes I get stopped up

Nevertheless, those things rarely happen. I eat a load of vegetables. I dont supplement any fiber (only if I am only drinking my meals, for whatever reason,which hasnt happened more than twice)

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
GVkid wrote:
I’m close to that (3600 - 4300) and my fiber intake is at about the same but I really don’t think that that’s the reason why I have to eat so much. I’m not sure I buy the idea that the nutrients and stuff we eat “bind” with some fiber in small amounts. but then again I really don’t know much on the topic. I would assume it’s merely pushing everything that isn’t getting digested in time out.

In most respects I would agree. Just do not take your fiber supplement with your nutrient supplements, especially if you are usiang psyllium husks. This can cause the nutrients in your stomach to be bound into the fiber supplement and excreted before it is digested.

keep fiber as a separate supplement

[/quote]

can you just mix in some psyllium husk with water as a ‘drink’ along with a big meaty meal (ground beef or chicke) /veggies and not expect a drainage of nutrients? i don’t think protein/fat will be bound.

on the other hand, in a shake with whey and fruits and spinach and eggs, maybe even oats, the addition of psyllium husk would not be the best idea huh

BW of 225 lbs here ~ 18-20% BF and 40+ grams of fiber daily

results:

crap every day
no digestion issues
no bloating
sustained energy for 4+ hours per meal

The worst I get is that rumbling from your lower abdomen that’s so loud people think you’re either starving yourself or your about to have to rush for a bathroom even though thats not the case. Sucks when it’s during an exam and it’s dead quiet in the room. hahaha. But I think I get that more because of the systemic enzyme I take.

As long as I get a bowl of Oatmeal each day (sometimes two), and either a salad or raw brocoli at dinner, I go 3-4x daily like clockwork. I will say though, that I always have my veggies or salad AFTER I eat, imagining all those little fibers pushing everything through -lol.

S

i’ve read that too much fiber can be bad - something like inhibiting the uptake of cholesterol by the liver, or maybe it was inhibition of fat-soluble vitamins. something like that. there’s a lot fiber in certain foods, though, so i would agree that fiber supplements aren’t necessary. i mean, if i eat a can of beans and some broccoli, i’m farting all day.

Yea no kidding. I take between 45-55 grams of fiber a day without supps and add that to 230-280 grams of protein a day on a 146 lb person and I’m a social pariah.