T Nation

Too much fat in one meal?

I recently read the “Shake It Up” article where the T-Mag Staff made a list of different shake recipes which are tasty and loaded w/ calories. The main thing I picked up from the article is that peanut butter would probably be a good addition to my shakes considering my current ones taste like chalk that has been pissed on and left out in the sun to ferment. Anyways, since then, I’ve been adding 3 tbsp. of Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter. This is quite a great shake because with 3 tbsp. and the protein powder, the shake comes to a total of 800 some-odd calories with 73 grams of protein. Heres the problem though, with 3 tbsp. of peanut butter, the fat content of each shake comes to a total of 48 grams. Now, I’m not worried about the fat being saturated fats, I’m positive they’re poly-, mono-, etc. however, when I drink them I feel very very full and very lethargic. I’m wondering if this is too much fat in one sitting or if this occurrence is normal. Thanks.

Read Temporal Nutrition Part 2. Lonnie mentions how overeating can cause major fat storage, even if you are eating P+C or P+F meals. So you may be taking in too much at one sitting and feeling the effects.

I think you might of added the fat in you r peanut butter wrong. I know my peanut butter is 16grams fat per 2 tbsp’s. The serving size is 2 tbsp’s. Might want to recheck. Just a thought.

Dude, you wiegh 140 it doesn’t matter what you eat

i use almond butter instead of peanut, taste good, and only 8 grams of fat

Regardless of what you’re eating, if it makes you feel like shit afterwords, modify it so that it doesn’t. You got a whole lot of protein in there too and that can a cause serious bloating. Experiment with the quanitites and see if you feel better afterwords and listen to your body.