TOO MUCH Dietary Fiber?

Looking at my diet I must get about 50-60 grams of dietary fiber a day.

My stomach is used to it now, but are there any other drawbacks of super high fiber intakes?

I am up there myself and am not real sure if there is a problem with it. Keeps you regular. LOL

I do know that it has been said that super HIGH fiber can actually detract from the k/cals you are taking in, and some nutrients by carrying them out as well, but am not sure where the line is drawn. I iamgine it is a VERY blurry line like most other things.

If your goal is to lose BF% then most likely a good deal though.

Hopefully someone more educated on fiber intake will chime in, just wanted to let you know you werent alone. Lots of veggies and fruit.:slight_smile:

Hope that Helps,
Phill

One negative to high fiber intake is decreased rate of digestion. This may be a good thing when dieting, however, when gaining and trying to increase overall calories, slowing down digestion can be a negative.

Too much fibre can hinder fat ingestion and the absorption or certain vitamins/minerals.

It can also do a good number on your intestines.

If too much dietary fiber can have potentially negative side effects, then I was wondering if people who follow Dr. JB’s plan of eating fruits and vegetables for most carb sources (sans workout) encountered any problems? And how long does one have to wait to notice negative effects? I am a follower of JBs prinicples and recently have been taking in a LOT of fiber because of all the fruits and vegetables in a 3000+ kcal diet. Any ideas? thanks!

[quote]merv wrote:
If too much dietary fiber can have potentially negative side effects, then I was wondering if people who follow Dr. JB’s plan of eating fruits and vegetables for most carb sources (sans workout) encountered any problems? And how long does one have to wait to notice negative effects? I am a follower of JBs prinicples and recently have been taking in a LOT of fiber because of all the fruits and vegetables in a 3000+ kcal diet. Any ideas? thanks![/quote]

If you call taking 2-3 craps a day a problem, then yes, too much fiber is a problem. Personally, I work in an office and the mens room is only a few steps away.

Yes, when nature calls while lifting, it’s damn-inconveinent…but don’t ignore the call, it’ll have a profound effect on performance :wink:

…trust me.