T Nation

Too Much Change = Bad?

Alright,

say for my monday workout I bench press (theoreticallly, or course I do more than that). I know that changing your workout often is good to keep your body adapting, but how often.

If on the first monday I do 5 Sets of 5

Should I do another 5 sets of 5 next monday or change and do 3 of 10? or Should I do a different exersize entirely.

I was always told to put more on the bar or do more reps, but often that leads me to a dead end of not getting any stronger.

There’s a couple of ways to go about this, but it’s hard to say exactly without seeing your entire training program for the week, and knowing your exact goals.

You could do your 5x5 on Monday and then 3x10 on Wednesday or Thursday. If hypertrophy is your goal, this would be one of the better options.

Or you could stick with one set/rep scheme for 3-4 weeks, then switch to something different. But if you’ve already noticed that you tend to plateau quickly, this method might not be for you.

[quote]LilGuyBigPlans wrote:
Alright,

say for my monday workout I bench press (theoreticallly, or course I do more than that). I know that changing your workout often is good to keep your body adapting, but how often.

If on the first monday I do 5 Sets of 5

Should I do another 5 sets of 5 next monday or change and do 3 of 10? or Should I do a different exersize entirely.

I was always told to put more on the bar or do more reps, but often that leads me to a dead end of not getting any stronger.[/quote]

You should continue to repeat that for a few mondays (depending on the length of the cycle). You would then make some changes-first in set/reps because the body adapts quickest to that, and possibly a different exercise.

Exactly many way to go about it and yes we need change but to much is not good either you need repetition and to adapt to a scheme, exercise etc as well to get real progress or the progress largely will be a simple adaptation in technique etc instead of an actual adaptation of the body on the muscular level to the stimulus.

great advice above

Phill

yeah, changing rep schemes is good , but you will hit platues, at my high school we follow the BFS which is only core lifts on monday wed and auxilury lifts on friday. It works alright, i modified my owne even though the teacher gets mad but ne ways…BFS the rep/sets change every week. one week is 5 by5 next is 3 by 3 then 10 8 6 4. I hit platues quite often but when i do hit a platue i skip my bench routin on monday and i put about 10 15 pounds under my max and through out my other work out i will come over and do 1 rep … and go do something else and come back and do 1 rep so by the time ur done its 1 rep of ten sets… this may sound funny but it works.

[quote]defen21 wrote:
yeah, changing rep schemes is good , but you will hit platues, at my high school we follow the BFS which is only core lifts on monday wed and auxilury lifts on friday. It works alright, i modified my owne even though the teacher gets mad but ne ways…BFS the rep/sets change every week. one week is 5 by5 next is 3 by 3 then 10 8 6 4. I hit platues quite often but when i do hit a platue i skip my bench routin on monday and i put about 10 15 pounds under my max and through out my other work out i will come over and do 1 rep … and go do something else and come back and do 1 rep so by the time ur done its 1 rep of ten sets… this may sound funny but it works.[/quote]

BFS is decent for beginners but outdated. It was cool to break records and stuff but the program isnt the greatest. Great for high school football coaches who dont know jack about training though.

hey yah i totally agree thats why i modified it and tell all my teamates to do some other stuff to … ya its good to get ur core lifts stronger but to simple. actualy u dont even want to hear my coaches lifting program from last year lol 10 times worse than BFS
kids doing curls and sit ups ha