T Nation

Too Much Cardio Burns Out Muscle...

how true is this? Can too much cardio burn out your muscle?Ive heard this a couple of times, anybody know?

troll

Dunno about troll but I’ve also read that after 40-50min of cardio the body starts to eat muscle after a build up of something starting with c (I can’t remember the term)it uses fat as engery as well but the body does eat a little of muscle but the article also said you don’t really need to worry about it unless you have a really low body fat percentage.

My knowledge is limited so i dunno if what I am saying is true or not.

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
troll[/quote]

Save it for the other forums big man. This is the BEGINNER’S forum. Either be helpful, or just don’t post here. You can flame in other forums.

[quote]jzzz wrote:
Dunno about troll but I’ve also read that after 40-50min of cardio the body starts to eat muscle after a build up of something starting with c (I can’t remember the term)it uses fat as engery as well but the body does eat a little of muscle but the article also said you don’t really need to worry about it unless you have a really low body fat percentage.

My knowledge is limited so i dunno if what I am saying is true or not.[/quote]

Machine ate my long ass post. Sorry, don’t have the energy to post that again, so the short-short version:

Muscle loss is in most situations absolutely minimal. that said, if you ever look at a serious (not a fattie doing it just for kicks) marathoner before and after the race, you’ll see some severe differences, not good.

Muscle loss has to do with Intensity and duration, proper nutrition before, during, and after the cardio, and your bodyfat levels and hormone status.

look at the difference in marathon runners, long distance runners, and then sprinters. Just google some images. I think you’ll figure it out. If you need more than that you’re gonna be reading biochem.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
ucallthatbass wrote:
troll

Save it for the other forums big man. This is the BEGINNER’S forum. Either be helpful, or just don’t post here. You can flame in other forums.[/quote]

My bad, I didn’t notice it was the beginners forum. I’ll help out.

Long distance steady state cardio will eventually cause your muscles to become predominately slow twitch, which are smaller and have less growth potential than fast twitch fibers. A prime example is a marathon runner (as said above).

Now a sprinter is an example of the other end of the spectrum. They run in all out bursts, and by doing so stimulate huge amounts of fast twitch fibers.

It all depends on the amount of cardio, type of cardio, and the length and intensity of said cardio. You must also understand that by doing cardio you are also burning more calories, meaning less to build muscle if your lifting. If you are already in a caloric deficit than yes, you will loss muscle as along with fat.

I hope this helps.

[quote]jzzz wrote:

My knowledge is limited so i dunno if what I am saying is true or not.[/quote]

I think that your thinking about cortisol, which is increased by stress. It is also increased by weight training, lack of sleep, and anything else that stresses the body.

I think pre/post workout shakes will take care of it.

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
ucallthatbass wrote:
troll

Save it for the other forums big man. This is the BEGINNER’S forum. Either be helpful, or just don’t post here. You can flame in other forums.

Long distance steady state cardio will eventually cause your muscles to become predominately slow twitch, which are smaller and have less growth potential than fast twitch fibers. A prime example is a marathon runner (as said above).

Now a sprinter is an example of the other end of the spectrum. They run in all out bursts, and by doing so stimulate huge amounts of fast twitch fibers.

It all depends on the amount of cardio, type of cardio, and the length and intensity of said cardio. You must also understand that by doing cardio you are also burning more calories, meaning less to build muscle if your lifting. If you are already in a caloric deficit than yes, you will loss muscle as along with fat.

I hope this helps.[/quote]

Thanks a bunch mate. :slight_smile:

To add to this, a small amount of muscle loss is almost certain any time you do an extended cut (unless you are severely fat, in which case you’ll be fine for most of the cut).

This is not to say it will be a large amount at all, as large muscle losses come primarily from dietary causes–i.e. your diet sucked and was too restrictive or not well timed, or lacking in certain critical components.

The other thing it can come from is timing cardio wrong. In other words, if you roll on high intensity sprints with zero carbs that day you might end up losing some.

But the bottom line is that in most cases, if done properly, a cut will not “Waste” or “Burn out” muscle. You will keep the vast majority of muscle you have earned. In addition, a large part of perceived muscle loss is actually water and glycogen stores–when you look in the mirror and all of a sudden you seem a lot smaller than the day before that is usually because your glycogen stores are depleted from strict dieting with lower carbs.

This is NOT actual muscle loss, but it seems that way looking in the mirror because the muscles have less volume due to less water/carbs.

The other thing is controlling hormone levels. If you can blunt the effects of cortisol and some other hormones while dieting–or after hard cardio!-- you can all but negate any muscle loss even while dieting hard and doing lots of cardio.

But for your purposes, I get the feeling you are asking if 2-3 cardio sessions a week is going to kill your muscle gains. The answer is a resounding NO, if you have the sense to add calories to compensate, and to pay attention to proper nutrition instead of junk. This amount of cardio is not excessive even while gaining for many people (though not ALL people). In fact it helps keep you leaner.

I agree completely with Aragorn, also asses your results every 2 weeks and make small adjustments.

cortisol that was it, I can’t speak for the op but for me that was helpful ta

Also, don’t run at such a high intensity that you are building up lactic acid for longer than sprints.

What I mean is when you feel your calves, quads or hamstrings burning, ease up. Or, if you stop suddenly and your muscles (usually calves) cramp up. If you do run like this (at your lactate threshold) you need extra time to recover. It should be avoided if your worried about muscle loss IMO. Of course if you’re not conditioned, even low intensity will do this and the only way to fix that is to get better conditioned, eat well and rest well.

Runners will run at this intensity sometimes to push their lactate threshold and improve race times but only periodically because it is so taxing.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
ucallthatbass wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
ucallthatbass wrote:
troll

I hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch mate. :slight_smile:

To add to this, a small amount of muscle loss is almost certain any time you do an extended cut (unless you are severely fat, in which case you’ll be fine for most of the cut).

This is not to say it will be a large amount at all, as large muscle losses come primarily from dietary causes–i.e. your diet sucked and was too restrictive or not well timed, or lacking in certain critical components.

The other thing it can come from is timing cardio wrong. In other words, if you roll on high intensity sprints with zero carbs that day you might end up losing some.

But the bottom line is that in most cases, if done properly, a cut will not “Waste” or “Burn out” muscle. You will keep the vast majority of muscle you have earned. In addition, a large part of perceived muscle loss is actually water and glycogen stores–when you look in the mirror and all of a sudden you seem a lot smaller than the day before that is usually because your glycogen stores are depleted from strict dieting with lower carbs.

This is NOT actual muscle loss, but it seems that way looking in the mirror because the muscles have less volume due to less water/carbs.

The other thing is controlling hormone levels. If you can blunt the effects of cortisol and some other hormones while dieting–or after hard cardio!-- you can all but negate any muscle loss even while dieting hard and doing lots of cardio.

But for your purposes, I get the feeling you are asking if 2-3 cardio sessions a week is going to kill your muscle gains. The answer is a resounding NO, if you have the sense to add calories to compensate, and to pay attention to proper nutrition instead of junk. This amount of cardio is not excessive even while gaining for many people (though not ALL people). In fact it helps keep you leaner.[/quote]

Usually I work out 5-6 times a week, 1-1.5hrs of weight trainig then i go cardio for about 20-30 min. I dont sprint or do high speed cardio, ive read that fat loss takes oxydation so i try to go 130-150 bpm (heart rate). My diet is good (i think) 350g of quality protein and about 140g of carbs no junk, i alternate protein shakes and meals every 2-3 hours during the day. Any advice?

“Cardio” is not a proper word. It’s a part of a word.
Though it is in many dictionaries annotated as: cardiovascular exercise, it really has no objective meaning.

You can not train your cardiovascular system independently from the demands of your other vascular systems(musculoskeletal, etc…).

Steady state exercise is irrelevant in all endeavors not expressly related to improving steady state exercise.

It is never the best or most productive choice for any athletic or body composition goal not expressly related to steady state exercise.

Toohuman

So i’ve been doing a 3 day a week total body workout with 3 off days of abb/calfs which i’ve noticed a lot of gains from. Wondering what type or amounts of cardio I could add that would help me get better in general.

[quote]KSU 2 CA wrote:
So i’ve been doing a 3 day a week total body workout with 3 off days of abb/calfs which i’ve noticed a lot of gains from. Wondering what type or amounts of cardio I could add that would help me get better in general.[/quote]

If your bulking 30 mins twice a week should do the trick but everyones different you could do more cardio and still make gains some people dont do any cardio while bulking. I would try 30 mins twice a week and see how your body responds.

kerley

[quote]KSU 2 CA wrote:
So i’ve been doing a 3 day a week total body workout with 3 off days of abb/calfs which i’ve noticed a lot of gains from. Wondering what type or amounts of cardio I could add that would help me get better in general.[/quote]

conditioning in general can improve your work capacity. ability to put out effort and recover. I like the various HIIT, the burpee 100 challenge. the 2 mile run, that sort of 10 second to 12 minute hard effort stuff.

I’m thinking I might as well do something more drastic so i’ll probably try some HIIt. Guess i need to do some site searching to find my perfect animal.