T Nation

Too Much Calcium?

I was thinking about drinking a glass of milk once an hour along with some food each hour. One glass of milk has 30% of the daily value for calcium, so ovviously 10 glasses would give someone much more calcium than they should be getting.

So does anyone know if there is anything bad that can happen from too much calcium?

Well I’m sure too much calcium would be bad, as would too much of pretty much anything - but 10 glasses of milk will probably not cause that kind of excess.

I drink around 10 glasses from the morning till before I finish work.

lol, might put hair on your balls, be careful! :wink:

[quote]SpeedStrength wrote:
lol, might put hair on your balls, be careful! ;)[/quote]

Calcium gives you pubes?

Don’t weight lifters need more calcium(then regular people) to make their bones stronger ?

assuming that your kidneys, and parathyroid gland are in good working order, i cant see a problem with drinking 10 glasses of milk. of course the best thing to do is to increase it gradually and if you start feeling any unwanted side effects then stop.

if there is an underlying problem with kidneys or parathyroid or some other compromising condition u could potentially develop hypercalcaemia which can be dangerous. However if this was the a problem, you would probably know this by now anyway…

[quote]michaelangelos wrote:
SpeedStrength wrote:
lol, might put hair on your balls, be careful! :wink:

Calcium gives you pubes?[/quote]

No, it was a joke, meaning it might make him a bit more manly.

[quote]rsg wrote:
I drink around 10 glasses from the morning till before I finish work.[/quote]

WoW that is a lot of Bovine lactate dude hope its fat free or the cals will kill ya

and by the way there is a limit to how much of any mineral your body can absorb in a given time frame but from a natural source like milk it would be difficult to over due it.

PS Meats, Fish, and Poultry are all high in calcium too. . .

Recommended daily values don’t necessarily apply to serious weightlifters. I mean the recommended daily consumption from where I am is less than 3000 calories, but I have to eat a lot more than that, maybe up to 5000, to facilitate muscle growth and energy demands due to weights.

Still, you might wanna google stuff about calcium overdose if you really wanna know.