T Nation

Too Many Trolls

There is a serious lack of sincere posters representing a liberal or left wing attitude lately.

There a still a few that post with intelligent positions that even though I disagree I enjoy reading but many others have deserted and I don’t blame them.

Hear, hear.

Will it be the death knell of the political forum?

Honestly, we need Makkun and Right Side Up (that is going way back). Fighting Irish, too.

Used to be some damn good debates around here. Now, the Left just tries to show up and talk trash like they are on the neighborhood basketball court (and not well, for that matter).

Zap this site has jumped the shark with respect to the trolls.

I mean I’ve just read one of them make about a dozen posts, everyone of them completely off topic and nothing more then flames. Pointless? Lixy has become a joke on this forum. At some point the trolls have become the majority and now attempt to intimidate the others…sad.
Hope they buy a lot of supps.

So many of the decent contributors have left the site I think the chances for a decent discussion are long gone. These guys don’t even make a pretext of having an interest in training. Not just this forum either.

Really need to tighten it up T-Nation. At least I hope you do.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
There is a serious lack of sincere posters representing a liberal or left wing attitude lately.

There a still a few that post with intelligent positions that even though I disagree I enjoy reading but many others have deserted and I don’t blame them.[/quote]

In fairness, I’d put beowolf in the category of intelligent lefties.

I agree, there seems to be a glut of guys like renny, tme, bradley/lumpy/100meters.

Hey, I like to get down in the muck and sling dirt with the best of them. However, I’d like my opponents to be at least competent.

There’s no honor in trampling weaklings.

JeffR

[quote]JeffR wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
There is a serious lack of sincere posters representing a liberal or left wing attitude lately.

There a still a few that post with intelligent positions that even though I disagree I enjoy reading but many others have deserted and I don’t blame them.

In fairness, I’d put beowolf in the category of intelligent lefties.

I agree, there seems to be a glut of guys like renny, tme, bradley/lumpy/100meters.

Hey, I like to get down in the muck and sling dirt with the best of them. However, I’d like my opponents to be at least competent.

There’s no honor in trampling weaklings.

JeffR[/quote]

I now feel warm and fuzzy inside.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Hear, hear.

Will it be the death knell of the political forum?

Honestly, we need Makkun and Right Side Up (that is going way back). Fighting Irish, too.

Used to be some damn good debates around here. Now, the Left just tries to show up and talk trash like they are on the neighborhood basketball court (and not well, for that matter).
[/quote]

What exactly is a “troll” and why do you feel threatened by them? Grow a sack!

Is this a sight dedicated to being a man and not taking any crap or is it a bunch of whiners who sit around and complain anytime someone says something they don’t like or disagree with?

Anyone who complains about a troll is completely worthless. Ignore it. You have the power–I don’t know why I even waste my time explaining it.

Why don’t you just start a “Hooray for America” thread? That’s the only thing any of you are good for.

You guys call lixy a troll yet respond to his posts…are you fucking retarded?

[quote]JeffR wrote:

In fairness, I’d put beowolf in the category of intelligent lefties.
…[/quote]

Agreed. He is a good poster even though we may disagree.

[quote]Ren wrote:

I agree, there seems to be a glut of guys like renny, tme, bradley/lumpy/100meters.
…[/quote]

Ren is sincere. In no way do I see him as a troll or closed minded.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Ren wrote:

I agree, there seems to be a glut of guys like renny, tme, bradley/lumpy/100meters.

Ren is sincere. In no way do I see him as a troll or closed minded.
[/quote]

All hail…finally, Zap is telling us what he thinks. Who cares?

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Hear, hear.

Will it be the death knell of the political forum?

Honestly, we need Makkun and Right Side Up (that is going way back). Fighting Irish, too.

Used to be some damn good debates around here. Now, the Left just tries to show up and talk trash like they are on the neighborhood basketball court (and not well, for that matter).[/quote]

I’m still around - and feel honored. :slight_smile:

I read the political forum - my raison d’etre - daily, and must say that it’s gotten a bit harder to post:

  • many threads are repetitive (and I’m not into re-posting old quotes), like the two current threads on global warming;

  • some are just too silly (and not worth answering), like ‘bible stories’;

  • and that it’s gotten to a lixy-thread is just another low point.

I’m also a bit tired of the lack of manners - and that goes for both sides, my own included.

While we can’t do anything about the manners - except live by example - I guess it might make sense to ask the mods for stickies for the most popular topics. How about:

  • Global warming or global swindle?
  • Support or dissent - the war in Iraq
  • Security vs. liberty
  • Religion, morals and values
  • US politics
  • International politics
  • Conspiracy corner

The non-troll posters could try to post within those threads, announcing the introduction of a new topic they want to bring in with “—New topic: [topic name]—”. The trolls get ignored until they fuck off - eventually most do, if they’re not fed.

This would at least perhaps reduce the number of repetitive and silly threads.

Also - perhaps a bit of a etiquette wouldn’t hurt:

  • don’t feed the trolls (if someone annoys you, ignore them)
  • don’t call someone a troll - chances are you act like one yourself
  • don’t swear at others - only Rainjack is excused from this rule :wink:
  • if you quote - post a link or reference your sources
  • copy/paste jobs are not quotes; write a little summary, add a commentary and post a link
  • no poster-related threads - they always suck

Overly restrictive? Just my thoughts on bringing order to chaos - I’m German after all. :wink:

Makkun

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

What exactly is a “troll” and why do you feel threatened by them? Grow a sack!

Is this a sight dedicated to being a man and not taking any crap or is it a bunch of whiners who sit around and complain anytime someone says something they don’t like or disagree with?

Anyone who complains about a troll is completely worthless. Ignore it. You have the power–I don’t know why I even waste my time explaining it.

Why don’t you just start a “Hooray for America” thread? That’s the only thing any of you are good for.

You guys call lixy a troll yet respond to his posts…are you fucking retarded?[/quote]

Trolls bring down the level of discussion. I am not threatened in the least by them but they are spoiling a good site.

As to responding to lixy’s posts it is a catch-22. Damned if we respond and damned if we don’t.

I have seen some bright left leaning posters but they don’t hang around long.

There are some right wing trollers here too. Headhunter has said some pretty stupid and inflammatory stuff.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

What exactly is a “troll” and why do you feel threatened by them? Grow a sack![/quote]

It has nothing to do with “threats” - it has to do with quality of the forum. If it gets populated with trolls and their comments, good people leave - then it sucks.

Nice try - but that isn’t the issue. We are all looking for a good scrap. We like a healthy disagreement - that is fun. How fun is it to talk in an echo chamber?

But forums are a perfect exercise in self-regulation - we are responsible for it. So speaking up to the quality of it is a good idea.

Nonsense - because we want good people to stick around. If good people start leaving because the threads dissolve into garbage, then why sit silent?

sniff

Lifticus continues to miss the point.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Ren wrote:

I agree, there seems to be a glut of guys like renny, tme, bradley/lumpy/100meters.

Ren is sincere. In no way do I see him as a troll or closed minded.[/quote]

heh, thx zap, I lol’ed when he included me in there, I don’t think he likes me very much at all. Just so long as nobody else starts calling me renny, that could get annoying.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Ren wrote:

I agree, there seems to be a glut of guys like renny, tme, bradley/lumpy/100meters.

Ren is sincere. In no way do I see him as a troll or closed minded.

All hail…finally, Zap is telling us what he thinks. Who cares?[/quote]

You feel left out? Ren is a good poster. You are OK yourself even though you are a bit deluded sometimes.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
As to responding to lixy’s posts it is a catch-22. Damned if we respond and damned if we don’t.
[/quote]

No it’s not. In what way are you damned if you don’t respond to a post from someone you consider a troll? Are you afraid of being one-upped by someone you don’t even respect?

Personally, for you (or anyone) to consider lixy a troll is hilarious. He spends way to much effort on his posts.

Trolls are fun; especially when they make people mad.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

What exactly is a “troll” and why do you feel threatened by them? Grow a sack!

It has nothing to do with “threats” - it has to do with quality of the forum. If it gets populated with trolls and their comments, good people leave - then it sucks.

Is this a sight dedicated to being a man and not taking any crap or is it a bunch of whiners who sit around and complain anytime someone says something they don’t like or disagree with?

Nice try - but that isn’t the issue. We are all looking for a good scrap. We like a healthy disagreement - that is fun. How fun is it to talk in an echo chamber?

But forums are a perfect exercise in self-regulation - we are responsible for it. So speaking up to the quality of it is a good idea.

Anyone who complains about a troll is completely worthless. Ignore it. You have the power–I don’t know why I even waste my time explaining it.

Nonsense - because we want good people to stick around. If good people start leaving because the threads dissolve into garbage, then why sit silent?

Why don’t you just start a “Hooray for America” thread? That’s the only thing any of you are good for.

sniff

You guys call lixy a troll yet respond to his posts…are you fucking retarded?

Lifticus continues to miss the point.[/quote]

You can’t control it so why bother trying to? I totally get it. People have too thin skin and I think they SHOULD leave–social darwinism. I don’t want to read posts from people who bitch and moan.

Trolls rock. Keep it up…we’ve almost eliminated the weaker of the heard.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
thunderbolt23 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

What exactly is a “troll” and why do you feel threatened by them? Grow a sack!

It has nothing to do with “threats” - it has to do with quality of the forum. If it gets populated with trolls and their comments, good people leave - then it sucks.

Is this a sight dedicated to being a man and not taking any crap or is it a bunch of whiners who sit around and complain anytime someone says something they don’t like or disagree with?

Nice try - but that isn’t the issue. We are all looking for a good scrap. We like a healthy disagreement - that is fun. How fun is it to talk in an echo chamber?

But forums are a perfect exercise in self-regulation - we are responsible for it. So speaking up to the quality of it is a good idea.

Anyone who complains about a troll is completely worthless. Ignore it. You have the power–I don’t know why I even waste my time explaining it.

Nonsense - because we want good people to stick around. If good people start leaving because the threads dissolve into garbage, then why sit silent?

Why don’t you just start a “Hooray for America” thread? That’s the only thing any of you are good for.

sniff

You guys call lixy a troll yet respond to his posts…are you fucking retarded?

Lifticus continues to miss the point.

You can’t control it so why bother trying to? I totally get it. People have too thin skin and I think they SHOULD leave–social darwinism. I don’t want to read posts from people who bitch and moan.

Trolls rock. Keep it up…we’ve almost eliminated the weaker of the heard.
[/quote]

Isn’t that the Leftist way? Make lots of noise, shout over your opposition, harrass, accuse, insult and generally be obnoxious and oblivious until the other side gives up. It’s all about winning and being heard, not about being correct.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
thunderbolt23 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

What exactly is a “troll” and why do you feel threatened by them? Grow a sack!

It has nothing to do with “threats” - it has to do with quality of the forum. If it gets populated with trolls and their comments, good people leave - then it sucks.

Is this a sight dedicated to being a man and not taking any crap or is it a bunch of whiners who sit around and complain anytime someone says something they don’t like or disagree with?

Nice try - but that isn’t the issue. We are all looking for a good scrap. We like a healthy disagreement - that is fun. How fun is it to talk in an echo chamber?

But forums are a perfect exercise in self-regulation - we are responsible for it. So speaking up to the quality of it is a good idea.

Anyone who complains about a troll is completely worthless. Ignore it. You have the power–I don’t know why I even waste my time explaining it.

Nonsense - because we want good people to stick around. If good people start leaving because the threads dissolve into garbage, then why sit silent?

Why don’t you just start a “Hooray for America” thread? That’s the only thing any of you are good for.

sniff

You guys call lixy a troll yet respond to his posts…are you fucking retarded?

Lifticus continues to miss the point.

You can’t control it so why bother trying to? I totally get it. People have too thin skin and I think they SHOULD leave–social darwinism. I don’t want to read posts from people who bitch and moan.

Trolls rock. Keep it up…we’ve almost eliminated the weaker of the heard.
[/quote]

The “weaker of the herd” as you call them are some of the more intelligent people here.

Their being chased away is our loss.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

There are some right wing trollers here too. Headhunter has said some pretty stupid and inflammatory stuff.[/quote]

Hey, vanilla pudding I’m not.

I like to say extreme rightwing stuff, to fire up the libs. Consider it a weakness, if you will.

“If this be trolling, make the most of it!”
— Headhunter

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

You can’t control it so why bother trying to? I totally get it. People have too thin skin and I think they SHOULD leave–social darwinism. I don’t want to read posts from people who bitch and moan.[/quote]

You keep trying to make it as though those against trolls can’t hack it or somesuch - that has nothing to do with it.

It has to do with having a good place to spend time, and when it gets ruined, you go somewhere else and a good thing is lost. That doesn’t hav anything to do with thin skin - it has to do with how you spend your time.

Again, it has nothing to do with “toughness” or “hacking it” - trolls aren’t challenging, they merely ruining a good thing.

You seem obsessed with the Social Darwin aspect to this when there is none.