T Nation

Too Many Training Protocols!

What the Hell has the world came too? In this internet age, everybody is prescribing agendas rather than train hard and intelligibly, nowadays everyone seems to come up with cute weighting protocols and giving them cute sounding names like diet fads?What happened to training your ass off eating all things good, and adequate rest?

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:
What the Hell has the world came too? In this internet age, everybody is prescribing agendas rather than train hard and intelligibly, nowadays everyone seems to come up with cute weighting protocols and giving them cute sounding names like diet fads?What happened to training your ass off eating all things good, and adequate rest?[/quote]

New diets or training protocols are sexy, exciting and profitable. Hard work and consistency are boring

The problem is trying to make one-size-fits-all protocols. Truth is you can’t ignore small variances between individuals in determining what’s optimal for them.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
The problem is trying to make one-size-fits-all protocols. Truth is you can’t ignore small variances between individuals in determining what’s optimal for them. [/quote]

What also put a damper on everything is the whole gang of circle jerk internet marketers in the fitness industry as well as the inability of newcomers to think and act for themselves and apply information they read and make appropriate adjustments along the way. It seems hardly anyone these days can do simple things like look in the mirror, think something like, “Eh, looking a bit too chubby there. I think I’ll cut down on my carbs by 50 or so grams and see what happens in a few days,” or “Looking lean, but feel quite flat and strength is dropping dramatically. Maybe I’ll bump up the carbs and see what happens in a week.”

^^ Exactly. Personal I think in this day and age people try to get too cute in the gym. Too many unnecessary variables to replace hard consistency. Its a bit annoying every time I turn around, someone with less than a year of training running through 5-6 programs bitching about no growth. R.I.P. simplicity.

I agree with you man, as long as you’re putting the work in at the gym and eating a good diet gains will come and they won’t be too different if you’re following program A or program B

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:
What the Hell has the world came too? In this internet age, everybody is prescribing agendas rather than train hard and intelligibly, nowadays everyone seems to come up with cute weighting protocols and giving them cute sounding names like diet fads?What happened to training your ass off eating all things good, and adequate rest?[/quote]

Yep, I agree. But to play devil’s advocate suppose a new comer becomes interested in getting bigger and stronger and he’s got ALL these options to choose from. Of course he’s going to have training ADD when he’s bouncing around programs and not making any progress, the only difference is that we know better from experience that wont work. It sucks, but I don’t blame them.

Not everyone is in this for the sake of bodybuilding or are as committed as others - don’t forget that. There’s also many different reasons, sports, and levels of athleticism to train for which is why there seem to be so many routines. A lot of people want to run these types because they feel like doing anything more bodybuilding-oriented will just simply render them unfunctional. And really, it’s not like there’s no merit to non-bodybuilding training and its practical uses.

At the end of the day, all you can do is focus on finding what works for you and be content worrying about yourself. And who knows, you may learn or pick up a thing or two from one of these routines along the way, it happens.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Not everyone is in this for the sake of bodybuilding or are as committed as others - don’t forget that. There’s also many different reasons, sports, and levels of athleticism to train for which is why there seem to be so many routines. A lot of people want to run these types because they feel like doing anything more bodybuilding-oriented will just simply render them unfunctional. And really, it’s not like there’s no merit to non-bodybuilding training and its practical uses.

At the end of the day, all you can do is focus on finding what works for you and be content worrying about yourself. And who knows, you may learn or pick up a thing or two from one of these routines along the way, it happens.[/quote]
True. I speak to muscular hypertrophy aspect to bodybuilding training. Different athletic outfits will have their weight training protocols as far as strength and stamina goes. A football player and a bodybuilder shouldn’t train in the same fashion. I speak on the contrived attitude of this guy’s program or, that guy’s program and in essence, they all work to some degree. I can help but notice the culture is leaning towards ‘quick & easy’ muscle programs and brag about being the sole training method. Aspiring bbers, competing or not, get caught up in following rep for rep instructions instead of training organically to what suits themselves.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
…inability of newcomers to think and act for themselves and apply information they read and make appropriate adjustments along the way. It seems hardly anyone these days can do simple things like look in the mirror, think something like, “Eh, looking a bit too chubby there. I think I’ll cut down on my carbs by 50 or so grams and see what happens in a few days,” or “Looking lean, but feel quite flat and strength is dropping dramatically. Maybe I’ll bump up the carbs and see what happens in a week.” [/quote]

And not just on the nutrition side of things…try discussing a progression scheme for a given exercise with most lifters and they haven’t a clue.