Too Many Protein Shakes?

Starting Monday, every morning, before I eat anything, my stomache has been killing me. I’m constantly gaging even though there is nothing in my stomache. Then after an hour or so, it goes away without a trace, then returns the next morning.

My mom thinks it’s do to the fact that I have recently started consuming 5 protein shakes a day. I starting doing this for the whole 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Anyone else ever get sick from consuming too many shakes? Thanks for any help.

I would try to get as much as I could from good old-fashioned solid food and use the shakes as a supplement only. Five shakes seems a little excessive.

I don’t believe it has anything to do with the shakes. What type of powder are you using? Some of the cheaper ones can give you some gastro troubles, but other than that I can’t see it as a problem.
The V-diet would have been a problem for many had this been an issue.

That said 5 shakes a day does seem like a lot just to fill your 1g/lb a day requirements. What do you weigh?
5 shakes would be a minimum of 100g–I make 2 big ones with 2 scoops each, but I weigh 275lbs.
Not to mention all the “extras” you get out of real food, I would definately suggest you TRY to get as much as possible from real food.
Good luck

It’s not the shakes, per se.

Sounds like you have a bit of hyperacidity going on that might be a result of eating so often or having a shake before going to bed instead of solid food.

In other words, have as many shakes as you want, but have some solid food (like cottage cheese and a tablespoon of flax seed oil) before going to bed. The solid food will stay in your gut longer and may prevent the hyperacidity.

[quote]GriffinC wrote:
Starting Monday, every morning, before I eat anything, my stomache has been killing me. I’m constantly gaging even though there is nothing in my stomache. Then after an hour or so, it goes away without a trace, then returns the next morning.

My mom thinks it’s do to the fact that I have recently started consuming 5 protein shakes a day. I starting doing this for the whole 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Anyone else ever get sick from consuming too many shakes? Thanks for any help.[/quote]

There is also the possibility that you have a duodenal ulcer (located at the beginning of the small intestine). These also manifest by increasing in pain felt when the stomach is completely empty but decreasing to becoming unnoticeable when full or throughout the day. You may need to see a physician if this persists. In my experience, judging by what you wrote, I would expect this to be an ulcer.

Thanks for all the responses. I’m using Classic Grow! shakes, the full 3 scoops 5 times a day. So that’s 200g’s plus my normal food, and I only weigh 190lbs. I’m not trashing Grow! or anthing, I love the stuff, I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this before. I’ve only had one today, and I’m focusing on solid foods for a bit to see if the issue resolves.
Thanks for the help!

Another possibility is that you have tried to increase your food intake to quickly. Most people can’t go from eating a regular 3-4 meals a day to meals + 5 shakes a day overnight without having sometype of digestive problem. A better idea is to increase the amount slowly so you can better tolerate it.

Considering what professor X said I would have a doctor check it ASAP.

On the topic of protein in general, Berardi and Poliquin reccomend cycling protein sources. You might be intolerant to whey, nothing you can do about it. You could try rice protein. Taste sucks though.

I have the same problem, but it’s due to acid reflux. I wake up in the morning and I’m gagging and my upper stomach hurts. This happens when I eat a spicy meal the night before. I usually take Zantac for this before I go to sleep.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
GriffinC wrote:

My mom thinks it’s do to the fact that I have recently started consuming 5 protein shakes a day. I starting doing this for the whole 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Anyone else ever get sick from consuming too many shakes? Thanks for any help.

There is also the possibility that you have a duodenal ulcer (located at the beginning of the small intestine). These also manifest by increasing in pain felt when the stomach is completely empty but decreasing to becoming unnoticeable when full or throughout the day. You may need to see a physician if this persists. In my experience, judging by what you wrote, I would expect this to be an ulcer.[/quote]

It seems to get worse when my stomache is full, but then about an hour later it disapears. I’m gunna go off all supplements this weekend and figure it out, I’ll post again if I find anything worth saying.

do go see a doc and it’s best to be safe. i went to see a doc a few months ago for my sinuses and found that i had acid reflux. the acid was backing into my sinuses rather than the esophagus which is common for for the esophagus.

he gave me nexium and rhinocort and got better and really felt better than i had for the last 2 yrs due to sinus infections. it also contibuted to that.
this is just an example so go see a doc.

Barton

[quote]GriffinC wrote:
It seems to get worse when my stomache is full, but then about an hour later it disapears. I’m gunna go off all supplements this weekend and figure it out, I’ll post again if I find anything worth saying.[/quote]

Getting worse when full could indicate a peptic ulcer.

[quote]iatguy wrote:
I have the same problem, but it’s due to acid reflux. I wake up in the morning and I’m gagging and my upper stomach hurts. This happens when I eat a spicy meal the night before. I usually take Zantac for this before I go to sleep. [/quote]

Iatguy, if this is a commonly recurring thing, you might check into Prilosec OTC instead. It was meant for long-term use more-so than Zantac.

[quote]michaelv wrote:

Iatguy, if this is a commonly recurring thing, you might check into Prilosec OTC instead. It was meant for long-term use more-so than Zantac.[/quote]

I tried Prilosec before. Direction said to take it for 2 weeks every 4 months. It works. Zantac is the only one that works for me as in short term. Thanks for the advice anyway.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
GriffinC wrote:
It seems to get worse when my stomache is full, but then about an hour later it disapears. I’m gunna go off all supplements this weekend and figure it out, I’ll post again if I find anything worth saying.

Getting worse when full could indicate a peptic ulcer. [/quote]

Ulcer? that doesn’t sound good… I plan to make an appointment with the doc tomarrow if it keeps up.