Too Many Protein Shakes?

Hey guys, since I usually feel rushed throughout the day I utilize whey protein shakes up to four a day.

1. Midmorning
  2. postworkout approx. 1200
  3. 1600
  4. 2300

My question is this. Will my body utilize this form of protein the same way it would whole food sources, or am I taking shortcuts? My goal each day is to take in 1gram/per pound of protein therefore 220grams. Each shake contains 30g so I consume 120g with shakes and get the rest through whole food sources. Thanks.

You’re going to be spending a ton of cash on protein. I hope you’re up for it. Try getting more protein through whole foods, and I’m not entirely sure how it will affect you. I’ll let someone with more experience to answer that.

you know, if you do that everyday; why dont u just do the V-Diet?

Wait i just got an idea, go read up the V-Diet and see what they say, cause that diet is basically almost all Shakes + Supplements.

[quote]tayjeremy wrote:
you know, if you do that everyday; why dont u just do the V-Diet?

Wait i just got an idea, go read up the V-Diet and see what they say, cause that diet is basically almost all Shakes + Supplements. [/quote]

Everything is completely the same except he’s not just eating shakes and supps! Oh wait…

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:
You’re going to be spending a ton of cash on protein. I hope you’re up for it. Try getting more protein through whole foods, and I’m not entirely sure how it will affect you. I’ll let someone with more experience to answer that.[/quote]

In my experience quality protein powder is often cheaper than quality food sources of protein.

It’s good to get your protein from a variety of foods, however. You don’t have to go crazy, but you don’t want to reply on the same source for all of your protein needs.

In general, it’s a good ideas to use food sources whenever possible, but protein powders are really helpful to fill in the gaps. Many of us follow relatively high-protein diets and it would be difficult to meet our protein requirements through whole food sources alone, though.

Of course supplementing protein is a shortcut, thats the point, or do you want to eat a full 8 chicken breasts a day to get your 220 grams?

I supplement around half my intake with powders - to get my 1.2g/lb b/w - i would not have a chance otherwise!

You are fine. IMO.

Joe

the best part of this article is the bottm line and i would have to agree with joe_brook

Thanks for the ideas guys. I took a look at the V-Diet and although it seems to be very effective its way too insane for me right now. The consensus seems to be that Im on the right track, thanks again.

I wont tell you whats fine for you because personally I do not know but heres what I do I work a very physical fast paced job in a scrap yard and get screwed out of breaks sometimes so eating is a priviliage I do not have.

0300 bfast oatmeal and eggs
0500 as im walking out the door i will eat fruit and meat and a protein shake contents vary
0800 shake
1000 sandwich if i have time and a shake or just a shake
1200 salad with shake
1400 shake
1600 shake and a snack driving home usually beef jerky or slim jims mmm love slim jims
1800 dinner of steak cottage cheese a shake decent sized dark green salad

this is not an ideal diet I know but it keeps me going and feeling great
I am maintaining the higher 280s in body weight,but shrinking at a noticable rate
i am stronger than i was even 2 months ago and aside from minor constipation which i solved with the ingestion of more vegies I saw no ill feelings or sides at all from the protein.

this isnt all i take or eat but wont post it cause its not a diet question you only asked bout the protein shakes

hope that helped a little

I think most people wouldn’t be able to reach their protein goals each day if it weren’t for shakes and bars. I know I wouldn’t. I didn’t start making any real progress until I was out of college, sitting at a desk all day, and able to open my drawer, and eat some sort of meal replacement every few hours when I couldn’t step out and grab any real food. Most powders are just some extensively extracted form of powdered milk anyway :slight_smile:

S