T Nation

Too Many BCAAs at Once?

I was wondering if it was dangerous/unhealthy/a waste of money to be taking a certain amount of BCAAs at once. I recently started taking BCAA suplaments in addition to the ones in my whey protein. I take these throughout the day but usually make sure to take them after a workout.

The reason im asking is because usually after a workout I will drink a whey protein shake as well, which happens to contain 5.5 grams of BCAAs (of which im also taking 1200mg leucine, 600mg Isoleucine, and 600mg Valine in free form at the same time). Is this unhealthy or even better for me? can my body even absorb that much in 1 sitting or am i wasting my money?
Any info would be appriciated, thanks

Some people will take in +50 grams. (ex. some of Poliquin’s athletes)

So don’t worry. You’re perfectly fine.

I too started taking quite a bit of BCAA around my workouts a few months ago. I also wondered if it would be a waste of money but now I’ve concluded that it IS NOT a waste of money.

You should notice huge differences in recovery, and you should sure as hell get stronger and feel less fatigued. If you notice these things over the next few weeks, you will definitely know it and you will be able to judge the worthiness of the extra BCAAs. Good luck!

Studies seem to indicate that anything over 30g is detrimental… but up until that point things keep going up and up and up and up xD

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Studies seem to indicate that anything over 30g is detrimental… but up until that point things keep going up and up and up and up xD[/quote]

This is not true. Over 30g is not detrimental. What studies say this? Why? What is the evidence? And the rationale?

I’m also interested in this debate. I just got my year-end bonus, and it’s much larger than I ever expected. (AND it came one day after my latest Biotest order, of course.)

Now I’m looking at a supplemental supplement order, and thinking about the potential benefit from large BCAA doses. I’m curious (and now able) to experiment with this for several weeks, and would love to know anyone’s experience or research into large doses.

The use of the word “detrimental” could be a sticking point here.

Research has shown that there are no observable health consequences by consuming more than double the dose indicated (throughout the day). The same should apply for single oral dosing.

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Studies seem to indicate that anything over 30g is detrimental… but up until that point things keep going up and up and up and up xD[/quote]