Too Many AMRAP Reps

I am 52 & my primary sport is BJJ. I just finished cycle 1. I am getting between 20 and 30 reps on the AMRAP for BBB. Have been doubling up days by doing BP and squat one day and DL and MP the next with a day off between. Do I just follow the formula until the AMRAP reps are more like 4-6?

Are your maxes correct? This seems high. My maxes were pretty conservative but I was getting over 15 reps on squats and deads for a while. I kind of like this because it gives you an incentive to get to heavier weights.

[quote]Manuforti wrote:
I am 52 & my primary sport is BJJ. I just finished cycle 1. I am getting between 20 and 30 reps on the AMRAP for BBB. Have been doubling up days by doing BP and squat one day and DL and MP the next with a day off between. Do I just follow the formula until the AMRAP reps are more like 4-6?[/quote]

When you say “AMRAP for BBB”, what percentage of your TM are you using? Sounds like you may be doing it wrong

I am 1000000000000% certain you are not doing the program as in the book. It’s very, very simple to follow - just follow the testing and the RM formula ONE time and you’ll never, ever have to retest. Ever.

I will retest tonight. I was tired and stressed when I did it first time so I must have f’d it up somehow.

Can you honestly estimate a weight where you can do 5 solid reps any given day? If you can, you don’t need to even test.

I have some idea but I have off days. I’ll just retest.

BJJ gives me all the cardio and anaerobic training I need. But at tournaments there are rarely competitors to fill out my age group. I can opt to go into a more junior age class but not without a significant strength to weight advantage to compensate. The young guys are crazy fast and strong. Hence 531.

[quote]Manuforti wrote:
I have some idea but I have off days. I’ll just retest.
[/quote]

Use a weight you can hit on your off days.

[quote]
BJJ gives me all the cardio and anaerobic training I need. But at tournaments there are rarely competitors to fill out my age group. I can opt to go into a more junior age class but not without a significant strength to weight advantage to compensate. The young guys are crazy fast and strong. Hence 531.[/quote]

You may want to consider some other templates as well if this is your goal but BBB is a solid first up choice.

Reset bench and deadlift so far. Yes I screwed up somehow. New maxes are much higher. I’ll reset the other two and then move on.

You know, the training max has become straight up convenience and a way to keep a constant in the strength equation - but for me but it means very little. If you wanna go heavy use jokers after - if you wanna work - do amraps -
There are just so many ways to do whatever you want in this program that half of these questions don’t even make sense -
For awhile my training max moved backwards because everything just got heavy - so every 4 weeks I lowered 10 until I could hit a PR - then I started going the other way again and have been rolling ever since.

That was when I learned to just go backwards a cycle or two or three until you start hitting again - and i am not afraid to do that.
Why? because I can always hit a pr or a few jokers.

All reset and 4 weeks in it’s all fixed. Just screwed up with my maxes Calc.

And hit PRS that felt pretty legit so everything is good

53 now. Except for a period where I was injured, my maxes have slowly crept upwards. I eat for BJJ so have not gained weight but I have passed 2x BW on my deadlifts and my grip strength is a big help on the mats. I use one of the Android apps.

2 Likes

Still using it. Still working for me.

1 Like