Too Lean To Continental Clean

Hey guys.

I seem to have encountered a problem. Over the past 8 weeks I’ve been cutting and my waist has went down 4-5 inches. The only problem is that my gut is no longer big enough to create a “shelf” for the bar to land on, or at least, a really shitty shelf. I know you can’t rest it on your belt either. Any ideas on how I can change my technique to accommodate this change?

You let it rest on your belt. That’s allowed in most competitions as long as it’s a single belt with no added towels/belts/etc.

[quote]louiek wrote:
You let it rest on your belt. That’s allowed in most competitions as long as it’s a single belt with no added towels/belts/etc.[/quote]

Really? I was under he impression it wasn’t. That makes life 10x easier.

I’ve never seen a comp that didn’t allow a belt in the axle press. Rules differ for all competitions though.

So this would be legal:

Like I said, for all the comps I’ve seen (which were local and amateur) resting it on the belt was legal. But, all competitions aren’t the same. You’ll need to check on a comp-by-comp basis to make sure.

To fix the problem: I don’t have a huge shelf myself. I have large abs and a small layer of fat which helps a little but it’s not an actual gut. I generally lean back a great deal while pulling the bar into my body (chalk helps). Work fine for me and I’ve literally never worn a belt in my life. Though, most I’ve continental cleaned is 238 on an axle.

I have never been to a NAS contest that allowed you to rest the axle on your belt.

You’re not too lean to continental. If poundstone can continental at whatever ridiculously low bodyfat he’s at, so can you. Set your belt low so it’s pushing up into your stomach, that should help you create the shelf as best you can. From there lean back and chalk your shirt. Make sure your pushing your abs out against the belt the whole time. The quicker you can make the transiition from ground to belly to shoulders the easier it should be. That’s what works for me anyway

[quote]karite36 wrote:
Hey guys.

I seem to have encountered a problem. Over the past 8 weeks I’ve been cutting and my waist has went down 4-5 inches. The only problem is that my gut is no longer big enough to create a “shelf” for the bar to land on, or at least, a really shitty shelf. I know you can’t rest it on your belt either. Any ideas on how I can change my technique to accommodate this change?[/quote]

In NAS contests you cannot use the belt to assist you with the clean. You can position your belt so that it pushes up your stomach as Kevin suggested, and you can also wear two belts (rehband and power belt) which may be helpful.

The most important factor will be a quick transition when the bar reaches your midsection, so I would focus on technique here. If you can switch your ‘under’ hand in mid-air that should help to speed up your transition and improve your efficiency. There are quite a few videos on YouTube demonstrating this technique.

[quote]Shakes wrote:

[quote]karite36 wrote:
Hey guys.

I seem to have encountered a problem. Over the past 8 weeks I’ve been cutting and my waist has went down 4-5 inches. The only problem is that my gut is no longer big enough to create a “shelf” for the bar to land on, or at least, a really shitty shelf. I know you can’t rest it on your belt either. Any ideas on how I can change my technique to accommodate this change?[/quote]

In NAS contests you cannot use the belt to assist you with the clean. You can position your belt so that it pushes up your stomach as Kevin suggested, and you can also wear two belts (rehband and power belt) which may be helpful.

The most important factor will be a quick transition when the bar reaches your midsection, so I would focus on technique here. If you can switch your ‘under’ hand in mid-air that should help to speed up your transition and improve your efficiency. There are quite a few videos on YouTube demonstrating this technique.

[/quote]

Hmm, I expected as much. Do you have any training reconciliations/percentages to help my speed?

[quote]karite36 wrote:

[quote]Shakes wrote:

[quote]karite36 wrote:
Hey guys.

[/quote]

Hmm, I expected as much. Do you have any training reconciliations/percentages to help my speed?
[/quote]

Dunno about percentages, but I learned the mid-air switch at the weight right where I lose speed double overhand and have to start using continental cleans. Again, no clue what the percentage of max is but I know that at that weight I picked up the technique pretty quickly. Might be worth a shot.

[quote]karite36 wrote:

[quote]Shakes wrote:

[quote]karite36 wrote:
Hey guys.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure on percentages, working with light weights will not necessarily carry over to heavier weights so I would just work your way up until you are close to your max (or the maximum weight that you can press). If your contest is clean & press for reps then I would work up to the contest weight (or close), if possible.

One technique tip that I can provide is to first deadlift the weight and then perform the clean from the ‘hang’ position - this has helped me with doing the mid-air transition.

Here is an example:

[quote]Shakes wrote:

[quote]karite36 wrote:

[quote]Shakes wrote:

[quote]karite36 wrote:
Hey guys.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure on percentages, working with light weights will not necessarily carry over to heavier weights so I would just work your way up until you are close to your max (or the maximum weight that you can press). If your contest is clean & press for reps then I would work up to the contest weight (or close), if possible.

One technique tip that I can provide is to first deadlift the weight and then perform the clean from the ‘hang’ position - this has helped me with doing the mid-air transition.

Here is an example:

[/quote]

I did figure out the flip, but the problem is gonna come as I get leaner and have no/very little shelf.

[quote]karite36 wrote:
I did figure out the flip, but the problem is gonna come as I get leaner and have no/very little shelf.[/quote]

If you are very lean and have a small waist then you can use the rehband belt as your ‘shelf’ and just have to be fast with the clean. The bar is allowed to touch your belt but you cannot rest it on your belt or use the belt to assist you like a catapult.

You can go on YouTube and look up videos of Chase Karnes from when he was <200 you will see some examples of axle cleans with 280+ lbs at <200 body weight and lean.