T Nation

Too Into Training to Cut...

Ahh I see. Yea I was definitely lying when I made that video. Theres no way I was squattnig 360 at that time. My deadlift form was gutrenchingly bad so I stopped pulling like that and took a hit to my overall number in the tradeoff for better form

[quote]Learning2Lift wrote:
Ahh I see. Yea I was definitely lying when I made that video. Theres no way I was squattnig 360 at that time. My deadlift form was gutrenchingly bad so I stopped pulling like that and took a hit to my overall number in the tradeoff for better form[/quote]

But his criticism is still valid about gaining weight faster than strength based off your lack of a 2x bw pull or 1.5bw bench.

I never said it wasn’t. I never even said I was trying to justify it lol. A lot of hate on T-Nation forums. All i said was I’m too lazy to cut and all of a sudden I’m an unattractive weakling rofl. Not that I’m denying that :D.

Are you no longer occupied? You seem better able to respond at the moment.

Yea I’m good now. I usually lose strength like a month and a half into a cut. I stopped last time and I’m trying to learn how to cut better so that I can lose without losing strength.

How do you go about cutting, in terms of nutrition and training? I’ve found a lot of success in attempting very gradual changes to diet in order to ease into the weight loss, and in doing so, I’ve actually managed to INCREASE strength during a cut.

I find a lot of folks go about cutting backwards, by treating it like being a contest bodybuilder and greatly increasing the activity while decreasing the calories. This will definitely get you lean, but if your goal is improving strength, it’s greatly taxing your recovery. I go in the opposite direction, and cut out all of my conditioning and a lot of my extra training in order to ensure recovery with the minimal calories. I also tend to switch carb sources for protein when possible.

I weened myself down two about a 300 cal deficit. I was making stength gains up until a month and a half or so in. Then it went backwards. Come to think of it I think I stopped cutting because an unrelated injury wasn’t healing properly on a deficit and then from there I realized some things I need to work on to improve my squat.

Long story short. My desire to cut is just not there.

Long story short. My desire to cut is just not there.[/quote]

There. You admitted it.

It’s okay. It’s your life. If you don’t want to cut, you don’t have to.

The only reason to make a change, in any thing in life, is because you want a different result than the one you are currently getting. If you are happy with your strength gains and weight? So be it. Be willing to own it. You don’t have to justify it to anybody.

I weened myself down two about a 300 cal deficit. I was making stength gains up until a month and a half or so in. Then it went backwards. Come to think of it I think I stopped cutting because an unrelated injury wasn’t healing properly on a deficit and then from there I realized some things I need to work on to improve my squat.

Long story short. My desire to cut is just not there.[/quote]

When you lose strength, are you losing absolute strength while maintaining or increasing relative strength, or are you losing both?

I never said it wasn’t. I never even said I was trying to justify it lol. A lot of hate on T-Nation forums. All i said was I’m too lazy to cut and all of a sudden I’m an unattractive weakling rofl. Not that I’m denying that :D.[/quote]
Yep, I got the weights lifted from the thread TwoJar linked to, where you said several times over the course of several days that you squatted 360 and deadlifted 375. You were also a complete dickhead to a bunch of experienced guys who were trying to help. Nobody’s “hating” on you now and they weren’t then. If anything, they were calling you on bullshit, and critiquing form on ridiculously unweighted exercises, and you didn’t like it.

I got your bodyweight at the same time (181.5 pounds in April '13) from this thread:

So for the 7 months from April to November you hovered in the 181-185 range, and then started bulking? Fair enough I guess.

Big x2 to everything SevenDragons just said. Your goals are your own thing, like I said earlier. We can think it’s right or wrong, and can maybe offer advice from folks who’ve been there, but you’re your own guy.

I do hope you still do your meet in a few weeks. Not for nothing, but whether you decide to do it or you come up with a reason not to will tell yourself a lot about your sincere goals.

I’d say from what I could see. Relative strength was steady. I think I just hit that period where your body tries to trick you into stopping by making you weak for a little while until you adjust. I didn’t bother to work through it since I had things that I was interested in fixing with my muscles that werent healing on a cut

Chris. You caught me. I’m not going to do it… Mostly because I’m not allowed in because I never qualified at any of their events or any other event. Needed a 1165 total

Chris. You caught me. I’m not going to do it… Mostly because I’m not allowed in because I never qualified at any of their events or any other event. Needed a 1165 total [/quote]
Not trying to “catch you” in whatever, man. If anything, I’m trying to encourage you, like the other guys in that thread were, to definitely do a meet if it’s something you’re even slightly interested it.

It sucks that that meet has a minimum to enter, but I’m sure there are other upcoming events that total beginners (in a competitive-sense) can enter. Powerlifting meets aren’t like bodybuilding contests; you can enter one with minimal dedicated prep and it won’t really disturb the rest of your training.

In any case, if you want to focus on strength, then focus on building strength and make sure you see regular progress. Cool beans. But if fat loss is anywhere on your radar for down the line, understand that “permabulkers” are usually disappointed when/if they ever get around to cutting and tend to regret that time.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
At 5’9, 230 def = fatty. Time to get ahead of it before you get old.[/quote]

I’m 5’6" 225 guess I’m definitely a fatty.[/quote]
I’m gaining on you Reed, up to 157 now.

5-8 240 here. :wink:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
At 5’9, 230 def = fatty. Time to get ahead of it before you get old.[/quote]

I’m 5’6" 225 guess I’m definitely a fatty.[/quote]
I’m gaining on you Reed, up to 157 now. [/quote]

Whoooo I better start eating again lol

Just so you all know, permabulk/powerbuild is alive and well in the T Nation forums. I think it has just been driven back into the shadows haha.

I have been bulking in some form or another for the past 2.5 years due to being in college.

A lot of the guys I looked up to and respected on here 7/8 years ago were permabulkers. They got me moving in the right direction, and for that I am eternally grateful.

It took me literally 6 years to figure it all out on my own though. I wish I would have just listened way back then haha. I was convinced that I was a “hardgainer” (so glad that word doesn’t get tossed around anymore haha).

Speaking of guys I look/looked up to…thank God Chris Colucci is still around to set down all us young guns who get stuck in this one track mind mentality and give us the straight talk.

I do desire to see my abs some day though. Probably in the next year or so after college. Being 220 and soft/weak gets old after a while. My numbers would look much better on a 185 lb body haha.

[quote]trivium wrote:

It took me literally 6 years to figure it all out on my own though. I wish I would have just listened way back then haha. I was convinced that I was a “hardgainer” (so glad that word doesn’t get tossed around anymore haha).

[/quote]

What did you do in training and diet that held back your progress when you subscribed to this belief?

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

[/quote]

What did you do in training and diet that held back your progress when you subscribed to this belief?[/quote]

I could write a book on it, but to sum it up in one sentence…

I used to eat once a day, and never did squats/deadlifts.

Switched to a written program, started eating 5 times a day, and I gained 50 easy lbs and several hundred pounds on my total in 8 months (not that it matters, but I am a lifetime natural lifter due to periodic random drug testing at my school/work).

I just never listened.

I never said it wasn’t. I never even said I was trying to justify it lol. A lot of hate on T-Nation forums. All i said was I’m too lazy to cut and all of a sudden I’m an unattractive weakling rofl. Not that I’m denying that :D.[/quote]

It isn’t hate, we’re just noticing your bullshit. Now cut that shit out. Don’t ask for something you can’t handle. #excusestoeatlikeshit