T Nation

Too Fat

I have decided that I’m too fat. I want to continue to gain strength, but lose weight at the same time. I know the last sentence is a damn near oxymoron but I want to do everything possible to avoid just doing maintanence lifting. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

p.s. I just want to clarify that I am not one of those slightly chubby people that should just shut the fuck up about cutting and hit the weights. I am fat. bf% is an estimated 25% however that is from a formula and I believe the true number to be closer to 20-22%.

I’m not going here. Maybe Prof X will.

[quote]bikemike wrote:
I’m not going here. Maybe Prof X will.[/quote]

Why not?

ive found the T-Dawg Diet 2.0 to be pretty decent so far, ive only been doing it for about a week and im leaning out nicely…however it could also be because i eat very very clean and all my carbs are coming from fruit anyway. id check that diet out, and if you want, read about the velocity diet too. that can be a good kick start to a diet plan like T-Dawg

-zach

Eat very clean. Look at anything written by Dr. John Berardi and Dr. Lonnie Lowery.

Add some low intensity cardio everyday. Go for a 20 min walk at a different time from your workout.

[quote]pitbull11188 wrote:
I have decided that I’m too fat. I want to continue to gain strength, but lose weight at the same time. I know the last sentence is a damn near oxymoron but I want to do everything possible to avoid just doing maintanence lifting. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

p.s. I just want to clarify that I am not one of those slightly chubby people that should just shut the fuck up about cutting and hit the weights. I am fat. bf% is an estimated 25% however that is from a formula and I believe the true number to be closer to 20-22%.[/quote]

you’re correct…dieting and strength gains are damn near an oxymoron …especially if you’re going to attempt such a feat w/o chemicals helping you out…

in my opinion, your only real shot at getting stronger while loosing weight is to improve your form in the various lifts…well, and also through improving CNS efficiency…

if you’re dead set on loosing fat first…I think you should take care of that and then worry about gaining strength after you’ve reached your desired bodyfat level…

the odds are stacked against you but good luck anyways.

It can be done.

I’ve been getting leaner while gaining size and strength for the past few months. If you dial in your nutrition and training just right, it’s possible. HOT-ROX definitely helps!

I do three full-body workouts per week and 1-2 days of GPP/HIIT/Cardio. If I actually did 2-3 days of GPP/HIIT/Cardio, I’d actually make better gains as far as getting leaner. But I am getting stronger each week.

I personally think it’s easier to lose fat and gain strenght, than it is to lose fat and gain muscle. Not easy, but easier.

I agree with what DPH said about CNS efficiency. Using heavier weights, and controling CNS fatigue by not going to failure on every set, and getting enough rest may help.

Adding some light cardio could also be better than high intensity cardio for trying to keep your CNS from getting over taxed.

I have decided that I’m too fat. I want to continue to gain strength, but lose weight at the same time. I know the last sentence is a damn near oxymoron but I want to do everything possible to avoid just doing maintanence lifting. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. [/quote]

Given your current bf%, it is possible to do both. Just pick a good strength-training program (3 days a week, compound moves, heavy weights), and do some cardio/GPP on non-workout days. You will lower your bf% and you will gain lean mass - for a while anyway. Above all else, get a REALLY SENSIBLE diet going - see John Berardi’s articles on here for more info, for example.

The point is, you can do BOTH for a while, but it gets progressively harder to lose fat as you get leaner (and older!). The only unknown is the precise %bf when you stop to lose fat and/or stop gaining muscle - I suspect it varies between different people based upon their diet, exercise, genetics and other factors.

Others here have also recommended some of the supplements - HOT-ROX and so-forth. Personally, I have no experience with these yet, but they are likely worth looking into.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

WiZlon

bikemike wrote:

Why not? [/quote]

I ran out of words writing about calcium this afternoon.

Good luck.

Ok first off I am 16 so I assume my metabolism will pickup with time. I don’t plan on gearing up DPH if that was what you were inferring, but I do take protein, creatine, and my vitamins.

Also, I can jog 3 miles in around 35 minutes which isn’t great but the 20 minute walk just won’t cut it Tall Tom.

Could anyone point me to a HIIT article or explanation as I have but a fundamental understanding.

I work at McDonalds so I am surrounded by temptation but I actually eat very little of their food, but it does cause me to become extremely hungry causing me to eat more when I get my break. I eat alot of chicken, boiled eggs, fruit, and yogurt. I try to eat cottage cheese as much as possible but it is painful. Here is a list of what I eat in a typical day:

1: protein shake
3 pieces wheat toast

2: 2 boiled eggs

3: 3 chicken patties

4: w/e my mom cooks for dinner :frowning:

5: fruit/yogurt

I don’t want to be emaciated skinny just around 12%. In other words I need to be “Fuckable” and able to look decent for the ladies. Its odd how my massive feats of strength impress them but they still go for the emaciated fag in girls pants because he’s “sensitive”. This hypothetical persona is the one which I must overcome.

p.s. Since when did being manly become uncool in America?

[quote]bikemike wrote:
pitbull11188 wrote:
bikemike wrote:

Why not?

I ran out of words writing about calcium this afternoon.

Good luck.[/quote]

It’s not wrong of him to want to lose some fat at his size. He can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time from his starting point. Not a bad choice. I think Prof. X would hopefully agree.

I don’t think Velocity Diet is appropriate. T-Dawg’s pushing it. I’d look into Berardi’s Don’t Diet.

Here is a list of what I eat in a typical day:

1: protein shake
3 pieces wheat toast

2: 2 boiled eggs

3: 3 chicken patties

4: w/e my mom cooks for dinner :frowning:

5: fruit/yogurt

p.s. Since when did being manly become uncool in America? [/quote]

You want to be manly? You have to eat more than that! You have enough food listed to feed a five-year-old girl. And you need some serious weight training too.

Try to get a minimum of 20 grams of protein per meal (I recommend 40-50 per meal) and try to get more fruits and veggies. Yogurt, skim milk and cottage cheese is great stuff as well.

Avoid McD’s at all costs! I worked there many moons ago (my first job), and when I did eat there, I cooked my own food and usually stuck with the “healthiest” stuff I could find (grilled chicken, salads, etc.). You’re better off bringing food with you though.

Use one of CW’s programs such as The Next Big Three or Triple Total Training. Both would be ideal for gaining strength and losing fat.

But you really need to work on your diet. You’re not eating enough to gain or lose!

Read John Berardi’s “Seven Effective Habits” and several of his other articles (“Clean Eatin’”) too.

pitbull,

what bikemike tried to avoid telling you because it can be a bit , lets say, irritating after the 723-726 time:

You are not fat. Maybe, just maybe a bit untrained, probably chubby at worst but fat?

Mwuaha…

Mwuahahahah…

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH…

My record was 330lbs at 43% bf. That, my friend, is fat.

Eat right, train right, maybe do a little bit of cardio every now and then but DON?T DIET.

And read vrooms beginner thread…

p.s. I just want to clarify that I am not one of those slightly chubby people that should just shut the fuck up about cutting and hit the weights. I am fat. bf% is an estimated 25% however that is from a formula and I believe the true number to be closer to 20-22%.[/quote]

Sorry,

but if your stats are correct that is exactly what you are " one of those slightly chubby people that should just shut the fuck up about cutting and hit the weights. "

For your women issues I recommend the “Ladder Theory”. Google it.