T Nation

Too Far Forward on Squats?

When im squatting, my partner noticed I was leaning too far forward i had him take a picture and it looks almost 45 degrees. But my feet stay flat on the ground. Any way i can make sure my back stands more upright?

Can we see this picture? If the Bar stays in line with the arch of your feet, it’s ok. Torso angle is determined by the style of Squat

Upright torso: High-bar position, sit down between legs, knees over toes. typical olympic style

45 degree angle +: Low bar, sit back, knees behind toes. typical powerlifting style

[quote]KKRake wrote:
When im squatting, my partner noticed I was leaning too far forward i had him take a picture and it looks almost 45 degrees. But my feet stay flat on the ground. Any way i can make sure my back stands more upright?[/quote]

No way to tell without the picture/video. My first thought is you’re totally breaking the knees too much and breaking them first before your hips and not sitting back nearly enough. Also probably high on the depth as a result of the technical deficiencies. But no way to tell without looking.

If you want to keep your back more upright, put the bar higher on your back (traps) and force your elbows downward while you are descending into the hole. Chances are though you need to keep your knees out as well.

Really, need a picture/vid.

Last squat session felt pretty damn good, god damn it was narrow stance, nice and upright, knees opening, all hips.

Maybe your not pushing your chest out before you descend. Or your not looking straight and above eye line all throughout your squats.

Too many factors to take in without a video. A 45 degree back angle could be good for a low bar squat. A lot also depends on your anatomy. Long legs/short legs, long torso/short torso. Too many variables without a visual aid.

[quote]KKRake wrote:
Any way i can make sure my back stands more upright?[/quote]
Front squat.