Toning Myth

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Rippetoe talks about it one of his books, either Practical Programming or Strong Enough, I think it was Strong Enough.

I’m not sure if he is thinking the same thing you are, he uses the word “tonus” as in the muscle is continually tense and ready to do work not just lean and shredded.

He uses olympic lifters as an example, and says go poke one in the traps while they are at rest if they will let you. Their traps will be rock hard, and this is his definition of “toned”.

I’d find the page if it wasn’t so late and if you weren’t going to use the information to argue with people on the internet, which is a complete waste of time.

[/quote]

I’ve read Practical Programming and it was in there (maybe it was in Strong Enough too) But yeah, he did use the example of poking the traps or quads of an olympic lifter and see if it feels soft just because they aren’t lifting.

Interesting way to define things, but I’d have to say I like it. Kinda like those guys who appear strong and solid whenever, not just when they finish their bench and curl routine and stare at themselves in the mirror.

When pursuing an endeavor of physique enhancement or strength improvement, you will come across people who are foolish and ignorant. They either have not put in the time and/or effort to realize that you will almost never learn everything to be learned, because there is always some lesson to be learned.

Even by the most advanced trainee. You need to worry about yourself, and not focus on what others try to poison you with. I call it poison because a bad attitude can be just that. There are plenty of programs that will get you the results you want, the key being intensity.

You will get better results by doing a shitty program with more intensity, than the best using a half-ass attempt. Mind your business and worry about you.